08-30-2018, 09:23 PM
User Info
Watching shave forums for the past couple of months, I don’t believe I’ve heard this discussed.
All things being equal, will you get the same shave in humid weather as you would in dry weather?
If not, what would be the differences? How would you compensate?

0 19
 08-30-2018, 09:26 PM
User Info
With decent prep-work, I get the same shave. I do however use a aftershave balm instead of a splash when it's dry out.

3 5,816
 08-31-2018, 05:42 AM
User Info
Our house is air conditioned but when the humidity really ramps up and its hot as blazes I do feel a difference on pre shave - much easier to prep. During heat spells I enjoy menthol soaps/creams more. I agree with splash vs balm on hotter humid days and colder days. Balms just do not feel great on clammy days and splashes are too "thin" on cold cold days. How do the shavers in Louisiana, Texas, etc... do this day after day in humid conditions?

60 1,345
 08-31-2018, 05:50 AM
  • SCOV
  • Minnesota
User Info
While there could be a difference, I do not notice or adjust shaving techniques.  (soak brush longer, need more water with soaps, etc).

9 690
 08-31-2018, 06:03 AM
User Info
I notice a longer dry time for my badger brush after the shave on humid days. Prefer lighter scented splash in summer.
Warmer, heavier scents and lotion in winter.

0 860
 08-31-2018, 06:07 AM
User Info
I totally forgot about brush drying time, great point. With 13 brushes, the brush is plenty dry by the time I get to it again in 12 days...unless I use the synthetics a few days in a row.

60 1,345
 08-31-2018, 06:20 AM
User Info
Cold water helps a lot. When really warm and humid I tend to get weapers. Cold water helps prevent that. Even lighted blade touch, and a mentholated AS ... So refreshing.

9 1,459
 08-31-2018, 06:43 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
As far as I can tell, shave quality is essentially the same in humid or dry conditions. As others have indicated, I use less or totally forego shea butter on very humid days.

10 3,155
 08-31-2018, 07:23 AM
User Info
I don't see why there should be a difference in your shave whether the humidity is high or low.  The only impact to your shave that I think humidity might have is that in times of lower humidity, say during the dry winter months, if you don't drink enough water and stay hydrated your skin is dryer and therefore your shave could suffer from more irritation due to your skin being dryer.  But if you keep yourself properly hydrated, I wouldn't expect a difference.  Notwithstanding this, I do not use a balm during the warmer months and will start to use a balm once the heat goes on in the house.  We have steam heat which essentially bakes the air all winter long.  So the balm helps keep my face properly hydrated, along with drinking plenty of water.  I agree with others that brushes tend to take longer to dry in humid weather.  But I tend to use a different brush every day so that has never been an issue for me.

0 101
 08-31-2018, 09:26 AM
User Info
The responses are great. I'm still listening.

0 19
 08-31-2018, 09:28 AM
User Info
(08-31-2018, 06:20 AM)lloydrm Wrote: Cold water helps a lot. When really warm and humid I tend to get weapers. Cold water helps prevent that. Even lighted blade touch, and a mentholated AS ... So refreshing.

Does this mean a cold water shave?

0 19
 08-31-2018, 10:02 AM
User Info
I tend to have oily skin.  In hot, humid, Florida, I do not use balms except in cooler winter months.

1 85
 08-31-2018, 11:16 AM
User Info
Having lived in relatively dry southern California, hot and humid Houston, and now Seattle, my personal experience has been that I got my easiest close shaves in Houston, followed by Seattle.  I'm convinced that humidity makes the shave easier overall, regardless of all the other factors.

221 12,931
 08-31-2018, 11:20 AM
  • Garb
  • Oregon
User Info
I use a menthol soaps in hot weather and never use a balm, unless it's low humidity then need to moisturize.

0 344
 09-09-2018, 02:40 PM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
When I lived in Hong Kong, where it can be extremely humid, and didn’t have air conditioning in the bathroom, the only way I could have a decent, irritation-free shave was with cold water from beginning to end: I showered with cold water and shaved with cold water. By the time I arrived st the office I was ready for another cold shower; I didn’t have air conditioning in my car which was an MG B.

9 1,040
 09-09-2018, 03:51 PM
User Info
(09-09-2018, 02:40 PM)Rufus Wrote: When I lived in Hong Kong, where it can be extremely humid, and didn’t have air conditioning in the bathroom, the only way I could have a decent, irritation-free shave was with cold water from beginning to end: I showered with cold water and shaved with cold water.  By the time I arrived st the office I was ready for another cold shower; I didn’t have air conditioning in my car which was an MG B.

All MGBs are air conditioned. They leak so much air around the doors and windows that there is a constant gale blowing through them . I had an MGA while living in NY, Pennsylvania and Connecticut. It was great. The heater kept you hot in summer and frozen in winter.

Dave

1 141