Poll: I face lather and..........
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
 08-31-2018, 06:50 AM
User Info
I have now been using a variety of creams and soaps for 7 years now, starting out preferring creams, because of lack of knowledge and experience.

I have mor eor less face lathered since I started the wet shaving journey, testing a couple of bowl and scuttles out in the mean time, but no matter how great a scuttle and bowl I bought, I still far prefer to face lather.

If I bowl lathered I think I would use more creams than I presently do.
But since I face lather 100% of the time now and has been doing so for 4-5 years now, I have found myself gavitating towards soaps more and more.

I have and still own 100's of creams and soaps, and have owned the top creams and soaps out there. Now trying hard to actually use my large stock I have tested creams out versus soaps over the last few months and have found a pattern, that makes me wonder if I'm the only one with this opinion.

No matter that great cream I use for my face lathering, no matter how well I make the lather, moist and full of volume and thick, sometimes pasty sometimes more airy, depending on the cream, I come to the same conclusion time after time: If I use a quality soap and a quality cream, I far far far prefer the soap. 

Starting out with the lathering method I prefer, where a soap excels because I can continue to load from the container without having to consider getting the cream full of water, which can be hard to release once the water hits the cream whereas with a soap, even a softer soap like for instance Caties and Nuavia, you can still just turn the container with the soap upside down while holding on to the soap with you indexfinger and pour 99% of the water out again. Not so with a cream. So you bascially have to loa most of the cream onto your brush in pile on top of the brush since you can't really get the cream that wet for easier loading of the brush. With a soap you can wet the brush and load and load continously without having to worry about how much water you fill in the continer with the soap. I personally get a far better thinner more precise layer of soap on my face, which then again makes the face lathering process so much more confortable to start out with. With a cream I tend to get too much cream on one side of my face and then having to distribute it all over the face. Some times this gives me an area on my face where I have an overload of cream on one small area, which again does not give me that even distribution of the lather. We are talking minor details here, but the soap wins here.

Once the lathering process gets started, I also see the benefits of the soap over the cream. I seem to get a more dense well packed lather with a soap over a cream 99/100 times when I face lather. To top this the shave itself 99/100 when comparing a great soap and great cream, the shave itself is also better and more comfortable with a soap, I get better cushion and a better slickness level after I have removed the lather, so I can mor eoften shave without lathering a second time when I have used a great soap, this I rarely if ever can when using a great cream. The lather from the cream seems to come off  more easily than it does with a soap. I used to prefer that, but these days I prefer the extra slickness after the lather layer is removed for touch ups.

I used my old Santa Maria Novell v1 today, and made a supreme looking thick moist lather. Yet the shave was just okay, and certainly not great compared to my shave 2 days ago with CRSW Olive Colonia Mediterrano shving soap.
Th Santa Maria Novelle v1 coul even be considered a croap, and I used to think this cream was outstanding, but compared to my best soaps it seems like an almost ordinary cream, comparable to TOBS creams.

I currently am testing out Xpec old version, Xpec new version, ABC cream, ADP Colinia cream, Caste Forbes Lime/Lavender/Sandalwood and some of the Esbjerg creams also. They just don't seem to match my best soaps from Sapo Varesino, CRSW, B&M, Caties, LPL, Jabonman and Tabula Rasa. To be honest the creams almost seem inferior to my soaps, this is how much I prefer soaps over creams these days. I strongly consider using my creams only on my dome and then the soaps for my facial shaves, since my dome is not as sensitive as my facial area.

What do other face lather gents say, do you agree with me or do you disagree ?

25 6,431
 08-31-2018, 07:12 AM
User Info
Soaps for me.

53 8,300
 08-31-2018, 07:30 AM
User Info
When I started wet shaving, I used good cresms as I perceived soaps to be fiddly and messy. I guess I had in mind soap sticks. Yes they have their fans, but to me they seem said messy compared with a puck.  Soaps are as easy to lather as creams, but lately I find soaps need a natural hair brush. Creams are fine with synthetics.

0 140
 08-31-2018, 08:05 AM
User Info
Try taking a portion of cream and working it into your whiskers with your fingers. Let it sit while you prep your other items for shaving ( for me it is stropping my straight and soaking my brush) then face lather it. I find this works better for me.

3 828
 08-31-2018, 08:36 AM
User Info
This is a great discussion: do you like steak or lobster better. Sometimes soaps are my pick, sometimes creams, sometimes superlather - combo of soap and cream.

60 1,346
 08-31-2018, 09:24 AM
  • Garb
  • Oregon
User Info
I like a soap to work into a frenzy

0 344
 08-31-2018, 09:37 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
Cream absolutely, and I only face lather.

9 1,040
 08-31-2018, 10:05 AM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
I get equal performance from both superior creams and soaps.

It’s much easier to create lather from a cream. It takes more effort and skill to make that lather from a soap. So the lather from a soap may be “more satisfying “ in a way....because the effort is greater. But the end result is the same, for me.

I will concede that I think there are more quality soaps available than creams.

Interested to see what you think after you use that older XPEC Claus.....it’s so slick that it’s the only time I need to hold my shave brush with 2 hands....

174 1,600
 08-31-2018, 10:27 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Soaps over creams, for sure. I too, find high quality soaps deliver a more pleasing lathering, shave and post shave than do creams. My personal caveat however is that all but one of the creams I’ve tried have been less expensive, perhaps “lower echelon” products. The exception to that is the Asylum English “charcoal” cream which seems to produce a rich and dense, protective lather with a great post-shave. After ~5 years of making my own lather instead of using canned goo or shower soap I have skewed more toward using better quality soaps because of the fewer, more easily pronounced ingredients list.

10 3,160
 08-31-2018, 11:06 AM
User Info
I Face lather 99% of the time and I like both creams, croaps and hard soaps.
C.R. Salter Cream, French Vetiver or Wild Rose...Just sooooo great.
Then you go to any of the Saponificio Varesino…. Number_one 
I like/love the SV soap more, but......never mind...………. Eusa_whistle

0 861
 08-31-2018, 11:51 AM
User Info
(08-31-2018, 08:36 AM)jackgoldman123 Wrote: This is a great discussion: do you like steak or lobster better. Sometimes soaps are my pick, sometimes creams, sometimes superlather - combo of soap and cream.

And then some of us will always pick the steak. I don’t eat fish

25 6,431
 08-31-2018, 01:27 PM
User Info
A well lathered soap is noticeably superior in my experience.

75 2,414
 08-31-2018, 02:28 PM
User Info
I get closer shaves with soaps than creams.  The exception would be ABC cream.

1 87
 08-31-2018, 08:32 PM
User Info
(08-31-2018, 01:27 PM)merkur man Wrote: A well lathered soap is noticeably superior in my experience.

Signs011

89 21,229
 08-31-2018, 08:41 PM
User Info
I'm going out on a limb and suggest, that MOST of the rather few, that prefer a cream over a soap for face lathering, are shavers with less than 3-4 years experience.

25 6,431
 08-31-2018, 08:49 PM
User Info
I’m in the soap camp as well! I prefer soaps - the lather quality is better & I get far superior shaves as a result.

1 68
 08-31-2018, 08:53 PM
User Info
(08-31-2018, 10:05 AM)Steelman Wrote: I get equal performance from both superior creams and soaps.

It’s much easier to create lather from a cream. It takes more effort and skill to make that lather from a soap. So the lather from a soap may be “more satisfying “ in a way....because the effort is greater. But the end result is the same, for me.

I will concede that I think there are more quality soaps available than creams.

Interested to see what you think after you use that older  XPEC  Claus.....it’s so slick that it’s the only time I need to hold my shave brush with 2 hands....

I have used the Xpec v1 several times and yes it's one of the slickest out there.

I have simply just reached a point where I get a better 'groove' for my lather, when I use a harder soap.

The Gent suggesting that I smear some cream all over the face is wise, since I have used this method with a lot of my softer creams, but for instance my Xpec creams are now alsmot croap like and it's easier to load directly from the tub. Also the thing with smearing a bit of cream all over my breard area is, that I tend to have a harder time massaging this into a lather, than when I simply swirl my brush in the soap and distribute the layer over my beard area. I more often end up with small residue of cream on my face from when I massaged too much into my bear area. A minor annoyance but still annoying.

Can I get a great shave with a cream, when I smear it out on my beard area ? Of course, most certainly. I just used Penhaligon Belnheims in the tube that way last week and got a great shave.
But I simply now prefer the way I can load my brush on top of the soap directly in the tub and I get a more even layer of lather faster and easier, when I use a soap, than when I use a cream.

I used to love creams and dislike soaps back in 2011/2012, now it's the opposite way almost. I always prefer the way I can load my brush directly on top of a soap and not have to worry about excess water in the container. 

Creams are still nice, but I'm definitely a soap lover now and not so much a cream lover any longer.

25 6,431
 08-31-2018, 09:31 PM
User Info
ADP is great, but I use soaps 99% of the time.

31 1,624
 08-31-2018, 11:35 PM
User Info
I too now only face lather. For me its Castle Forbes all the way. I get much better results compared to soaps.

1 48
 09-01-2018, 01:27 AM
User Info
(08-31-2018, 11:35 PM)challer Wrote: I too now only face lather. For me its Castle Forbes all the way. I get much better results compared to soaps.

For how long have you shaved using a brush and a cream/soap, if I may ask ?

25 6,431