09-01-2018, 07:42 AM
User Info
OK...OK...THIS IS the last brush I EVER buy.
It's a soap hog, Did two test lathers, eats soap up!
I use Proraso Cream for testing, reason, easy to use and to judge accurately
the amount of soap . I do a hand lathering, based upon that it feels good,
works up a nice head. The knot is dense, more than any brush I own.
Noticed a few dark hairs on top, sooo I would hazard the knot is untreated
(not bleached tips) a natural 3 band silvertip. Love the handle. I'll use it tomorrow and see/feel
its's face feel. This is the only one I've found on the net, when made, how made,
all I know it seems to be the last "new"Stubby 3 out there..... Undecided 
Out of the box.
[Image: iXtBC1M.jpg][Image: x0wnPz0.jpg]
Wash out.
[Image: 7Kw1v8K.jpg]
Light towel dry.
[Image: b38ohGI.jpg]

1 869
 09-01-2018, 08:13 AM
User Info
Quote:OK...OK...THIS IS the last brush I EVER buy.

OK ... Wink I won't tell if I see you with another brush.

Very nice Rooney. Always liked them. Too bad they don't make them anymore. Though we do have plenty of other options. Kids these days have it a lot easier than many of us who started 10-15 yrs ago.

5 135
 09-01-2018, 08:35 AM
User Info
Great brush.  From using multiple different high end brushes including the nearly unobtanium Varlet, my feeling is that great brushes are more alike than different.  Once they have soap on them, they feel very similar.  Anyways, that's what I feel.

0 402
 09-01-2018, 10:38 AM
User Info
Did your brush have a lot of badger funk when you did your first couple lathers? I have not shaved with these but handled quite a few and the Stubby 3's were really stinky with a lot of grey funk to clean out. The tips were very very soft and just my thought but I was inclined to believe that these knots and the hair used were treated. I don't know that for sure but I am inclined to believe that Rooney over the years has been able to produce true silver tip knots and also to create knots with treated 3 band super badger grade.

How do you like the splay of this brush? They paint lather very nicely versus a like that has chubby like density.

84 1,634
 09-01-2018, 11:46 AM
User Info
Not "Stinky" at all....But I did notice but failed to mention that the soak water looked slightly "dirty".
Never noticed that B/4. First lather was a little dirty, second seemed good....but the Proraso is not a "white" white,
I think due to the oatmeal.

Just checked it....It has dried, The funk is there.  More now than b/4 the test lathers. Like my dog has peed on it... Tongue 
Going to lather again..

1 869
 09-01-2018, 01:18 PM
User Info
(09-01-2018, 11:46 AM)zipper Wrote: Not "Stinky" at all....But I did notice but failed to mention that the soak water looked slightly "dirty".
Never noticed that B/4. First lather was a little dirty, second seemed good....but the Proraso is not a "white" white,

Just checked it....It has dried, The funk is there.  More now than b/4 the test lathers. Like my dog has peed on it... Tongue 
Going to lather again..

I remember a lot of grey lathers (maybe 3 times or 4) and lots of stink. Unfortunately, I am not sure if the smell is always attributed to "animal" or badger funk but sometimes I think the harsh chemical treatments on the hairs could contribute to a unpleasant smell.

How soft does the hair feel compared to your other 3 bands?

84 1,634
 09-01-2018, 02:29 PM
User Info
(09-01-2018, 01:18 PM)zaclikestoshave Wrote:
(09-01-2018, 11:46 AM)zipper Wrote: Not "Stinky" at all....But I did notice but failed to mention that the soak water looked slightly "dirty".

Going to lather again..

I remember a lot of grey lathers (maybe 3 times or 4) and lots of stink. Unfortunately, I am not sure if the smell is always attributed to "animal" or badger funk but sometimes I think the harsh chemical treatments on the hairs could contribute to a unpleasant smell.

How soft does the hair feel compared to your other 3 bands?

The Kent is softer. Hard to say, the Rooney is damp the other four are dry. The Kent is well broken in and is very soft, wet or dry.
It will need a little use for sure. I think it will be one if not the best of my 25 brushes.

1 869
 09-02-2018, 07:33 AM
User Info
Used it today, with SV 70th Anniversary. It is a "lather hog". Very nice, soft tips but nothing spectacular.
No hair loss but still "funky", that will pass with use. Love the handle, nice shape and feel when lathering.
I do think the "funk" comes from being a natural hair. That smell is animal, if the hair was treated/bleached
I believe they would wash it more, thereby removing more of that animal smell. So, a funky Badger brush is 
a less processed hair. That is my theory.... Cheers

1 869
 09-02-2018, 09:38 AM
  • German
  • Simpson 2 Band Aficionado
  • USA
User Info
Not the same as it used to be. Below three original Heritage Stubbys - left in Heritage 2 Band, middle in Finest, right in Heritage Super 3 Band.

[Image: boaxAI6.jpg]

43 2,052
 09-02-2018, 10:13 PM
  • N8Julo43
  • Red Whisker Wrangler
  • Mizzou-RAH, USA
User Info
(09-02-2018, 09:38 AM)German Wrote: Not the same as it used to be. Below three original Heritage Stubbys - left in Heritage 2 Band, middle in Finest, right in Heritage Super 3 Band.

[Image: boaxAI6.jpg]

Yes, this. 

Zipper, I truly mean no disrespect, but any Rooney still surfacing at online retailers as new is most likely a far comparison to what Rooney once produced. I have heard differing statements on the subject and admit others would most likely be a better source than I on the subject, but I believe the operation changed hands in time. The brush you got your hands on is a really nice looking brush and I'm sure it stands on its own when judging if it was worth the investment, but it may leave you wanting a little more if you are chasing that Rooney nirvana that people have described with some of their older brushes. Some pictures I have seen have hairs extremely fine making the knots appear to be softer and denser than any brush I have ever seen in person or experienced.

Now that I think about it, I may be describing the Rooney Finest knots of about 10 years ago versus the Heritage. I will be following this thread closely because I hope someone with better knowledge than me on the subject can shed some light on Rooney brushes and how the knots have differed year over year.

31 323
 09-03-2018, 02:53 AM
User Info
No....I understand. If you read the next to last sentence in my opening statement. This Rooney "Finest" that I've read sooooo much about is the same as aliens building
the Great Pyramid. Myth... legends, I'm a "Show Me Guy" ………... Cool

1 869
 09-03-2018, 05:20 AM
  • German
  • Simpson 2 Band Aficionado
  • USA
User Info
There are lots of threads on Rooney brushes new and old. Just do a search. One famous period everybody refers to is somewhere between 2006 and 2012. That is when Lee Sabini came out with a variety of amazing hair batches: Finest, Heritage Super 3 Band and Super 2 Band. These three had very unique characteristics:

FINEST
Super long hair with very longs tips. The color of the hair has an amber hue to it. The brushes are not overly dense but the face feel of these brushes is very unique. Shorter lofted once tend to be a bit more scritchy to some. I own the below with a 57mm loft and there is no scritch. I believe the Finest grade of that time belongs into the Hall of Fame next to vintage Plisson HMW from the 70s/80s.

[Image: WVFqlvX.jpg]

[Image: 11xlKPk.jpg]

Super 3 Band
This hair is super fine and tied in very dense knots. Very soft hair but different from today's best Super hair out there. The hair is very thin, the brushes super dense. A very unique face feel. 

[Image: EBQkei0.jpg]

[Image: bxx0WNl.jpg]

Super 2 Band
All began with the very first batch that created the term "gel" like and is now copied so much. Personally, I am not so fond of tose gel brushes as this is typically as sign of damaged tips due to over treatment. Later batches do not have the same face feel but are still excellent 2 Band brushes.

[Image: dBXoEII.jpg]

Lee Sabini eventually left Rooney alone (so some say) and focused on his M&F brand.

43 2,052
 09-03-2018, 05:21 AM
  • N8Julo43
  • Red Whisker Wrangler
  • Mizzou-RAH, USA
User Info
(09-03-2018, 02:53 AM)zipper Wrote: No....I understand. If you read the next to last sentence in my opening statement. This Rooney "Finest" that I've read sooooo much about is the same as aliens building
the Great Pyramid. Myth... legends, I'm a "Show Me Guy" ………... Cool

Ah, sorry about that. I missed that point. Yeah, i have actually read some mixed opinions on those Finest knots depending on how you lather, face lather in circular motions versus paint strokes, etc. They sure do look awesome though!

Happy shaving and I hope you continue to enjoy your new brush! I'm sure it will only continue to improve with each use. I have always had good luck with VP Leonhardy's brush cleaning/cleansing soap for any funky brush I have come accross. Even though I know there are a lot of cheaper alternatives out there.

31 323
 09-03-2018, 05:43 AM
User Info
you are all enabling my SBAD something fierce

60 1,358
 09-03-2018, 06:52 AM
  • N8Julo43
  • Red Whisker Wrangler
  • Mizzou-RAH, USA
User Info
(09-03-2018, 05:20 AM)German Wrote: There are lots of threads on Rooney brushes new and old. Just do a search. One famous period everybody refers to is somewhere between 2006 and 2012. That is when Lee Sabini came out with a variety of amazing hair batches: Finest, Heritage Super 3 Band and Super 2 Band. These three had very unique characteristics:

FINEST
Super long hair with very longs tips. The color of the hair has an amber hue to it. The brushes are not overly dense but the face feel of these brushes is very unique. Shorter lofted once tend to be a bit more scritchy to some. I own the below with a 57mm loft and there is no scritch. I believe the Finest grade of that time belongs into the Hall of Fame next to vintage Plisson HMW from the 70s/80s.

[Image: WVFqlvX.jpg]

[Image: 11xlKPk.jpg]

Super 3 Band
This hair is super fine and tied in very dense knots. Very soft hair but different from today's best Super hair out there. The hair is very thin, the brushes super dense. A very unique face feel. 

[Image: EBQkei0.jpg]

[Image: bxx0WNl.jpg]

Super 2 Band
All began with the very first batch that created the term "gel" like and is now copied so much. Personally, I am not so fond of tose gel brushes as this is typically as sign of damaged tips due to over treatment. Later batches do not have the same face feel but are still excellent 2 Band brushes.

[Image: dBXoEII.jpg]

Lee Sabini eventually left Rooney alone (so some say) and focused on his M&F brand.

Great information! Thank you so much! I'll also do a search of older threads for more examples of these fine brushes.

31 323