09-03-2018, 12:32 PM
User Info
I too, use the residue soap in the tin as a pre shave. Better than anything else, including oils .

0 127
 09-03-2018, 03:34 PM
  • SCOV
  • Minnesota
User Info
I have never used a pre-shave product.  Partially to avoid another shaving "rabbit hole".   

I have always assumed "technique" was the key to a good shave.  I would certainly recommend novice shavers to skip the pre-shave and devout the extra minute to improve other aspects of shaving.  Experienced shavers might have a slight benefit and better able to tell if any difference on a consistent basis.

9 673
 09-03-2018, 10:23 PM
User Info
In my experience the pre shave products DO ACTUALLY work, if you use shaving creams and soaps of less than stellar quality.

As soon as you use the REALLY great shaving soaps, the pre shave prep products all seem unnecessary.

I currently have 3 full bottles of GEO F. TRUMPER and 2 full bottles of Myrsol pre shave products collecting dust on my shelf.

25 6,352
 09-03-2018, 10:57 PM
User Info
I wonder if the better soaps DO make a pre shave unnecessary?  Although a cheaper soap may seem to give as good a lather, I reckon some of the more expensive ones have other qualities, not visible apparent.

0 127
 09-04-2018, 05:47 AM
User Info
I don't use any pre-shave at home, and I get a good enough shave to get about my day (I've been wet shaving for 15 years, and have #16s, Darwins, Eclipses, RFBs, etc., to choose from).  However...once a month I treat myself to a hot-towel shave from my barber and, well, as good as I am, it's just 'better'.  It could be the shavette, or the hot towels, the prep, Suzie's technique (she's really good), or - just maybe - it could be the pre-shave.  Don't know, don't care, but I like it!

0 3
 09-04-2018, 06:38 AM
User Info
(09-03-2018, 10:57 PM)Roy Wrote: I wonder if the better soaps DO make a pre shave unnecessary?  Although a cheaper soap may seem to give as good a lather, I reckon some of the more expensive ones have other qualities, not visible apparent.

For me a great soap makes pre shave products unnecessary.
A mediocre soap/cream however makes the pre shave product almost a necessity.

25 6,352
 09-04-2018, 07:07 AM
User Info
When my skin is little dry or irated I prefer using pre shave oil irrespective of soap in use.

I have ADP & Aromatherapy Associates Preshave oil in my rotation.Gentle rub for a minute or two and washing it off with warm water does improve the quality of shave.

I use Preshave oil in less than 5% of my shaves in summers but it goes upto 20% in winters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 1,149
 09-10-2018, 01:59 AM
  • DaveL
  • Houston, Texas
User Info
I've tried preshave products before and never noticed a difference. A shower and hot soapy water is all I've found necessary.

2 135
 09-10-2018, 06:56 AM
  • DayMan
  • Tennessee
User Info
I have dry skin, so they help me.  I use Shave Secret.  I only use 4 drops and it's not real thick so it doesn't clog my razor.  I don't think it helps the glide any or gets my shave any closer, but it does moisturize my skin.

3 638
 09-10-2018, 07:24 AM
User Info
Hey, if you like using a pre-shave, then why not?  

I continue to treat myself to a hot towel before almost every shave, and several hot towel treatments on Saturday when I have lots of time.  I love it.

Pre-shave products?  I don't think they do much, if anything for me.  But, if you want to pamper yourself, what the heck?  I gave my last ¾ full bottle away.  

I use witch hazel after every shave, then aftershave splash or balm.  Do I need to?  Not really, but I like it.

I also clean my razors with alcohol.  My science friends tell me the benefits probably diminish after about 15 minutes. I don't care—I like doing it.

1 503
 09-10-2018, 02:12 PM
User Info
I thought I read, wash face b/4 shaving, to soften beard/hair and remove oils and grime from face/hair.
So, why add oil back.... Huh

0 755
 09-10-2018, 06:09 PM
User Info
I use a castor oil based preshave oil.  I put it on, shower, wipe off the excess, then shave.  I find that it helps soften the skin and makes my shave more comfortable around the chin area but that is it.

0 328
 09-11-2018, 08:47 AM
User Info
(09-10-2018, 02:12 PM)zipper Wrote: I thought I read, wash face b/4 shaving, to soften beard/hair and remove oils and grime from face/hair.
So, why add oil back.... Huh

You remove dirt particles from your face before shaving not necessarily oil.
Oil will help with Glide and protection during the shave, dirt particles don’t.

25 6,352
 09-12-2018, 10:33 AM
  • ajc347
  • Exeter, UK
User Info
Over the last 7 years I’ve moved from not liking or using pre-shave products to using a glycerin soap and pre-shave oil prior to every shave.

I’ve found that it’s made a significant difference regardless of the quality of soap used. It’s enabled me to use some razors I previously discounted as being aggressive, without problem.

I’ve also started uber lathering with each shave recently and the addition of glycerin into my routine has also made a difference.

I’m currently getting some of the best shaves I’ve ever had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

38 712
 09-13-2018, 12:37 PM
User Info
I have tried a few, but as my lathering got better they became less and less useful for me.  New users should focus on lathering and technique and I think they will find that they get a beautiful shave without using them.  On the other hand for those guys who simply enjoy using pre-shave products, have at it.  This is, after all, about the pleasure of shaving, so use whatever makes you happy!

0 64
 09-23-2018, 08:41 PM
User Info
i have tried a few, but i just use plain old baby oil  it doesn't take long to apply and it softens the whiskers a bit more while i whip the lather. does it help? i honestly do not know.

0 14
 09-26-2018, 06:45 PM
User Info
IMHO, Vikingshaver hit the nail on the head.  When I use ABC or Czech & Speake, or XPEC, there is no need at all for a pre-shave product.  I get a smooth slick shave without it.   If I use Cella, proraso, or other inexpensive products, I find the pre-shave does make a difference.

1 66
 09-26-2018, 08:16 PM
User Info
I'm working on becoming a shaving irritation expert and have studied this.

Pre-shave oil can be very helpful for some men - namely those with coarse beards.  Skin damages very easily and whiskers are tough.  Think of your face as a sea of Jello with trees sticking out.  Men with coarse beards have thicker trees.  

Hydration is what softens whiskers.  For most men, washing their face with soap and water while in the shower is plenty of prep.  For those with coarse beards, pre-shave oil applied after stepping out of the shower can really help to hold in the water and well as continue to hydrate the whiskers.

Sadly, many of the pre-shave oils on the market weren't formulated using information on oil's impact on hair.  Three parts olive oil to one part mineral oil works really well for hydrating and holding water.  It only takes a second to apply.  A little goes a long way.  I wipe my hands with a towel after applying.

I've read a couple of folks saying that they don't wash their face with soap and water before shaving - separate from using shaving soap.  If those who don't wash their face before hand are getting close, comfortable shaves with no irritation, then there is no need to change.  If getting any shaving irritation, try washing your face as mentioned to see if it makes any difference.

The reasons for this are:  1. Our faces naturally have staph bacteria.  Forcing them into hair follicles is a definite cause of irritation.  2. When shaving, we remove about the same amount of dead skin as whiskers.  Forcing that skin into hair follicles can cause irritation.  3. Men get trapped hairs on their necks, which can cause bumps or irritation.  washing with soap and a wash cloth will free most of the trapped hairs.

0 67
 09-26-2018, 08:24 PM
User Info
I've tried a few different pre-shave products, including home made varieties, none of which did anything good. If anything they made face lathering a little different.
I have noticed different face soaps do the same thing. I have been using a product from Lush (hand made cosmetics shop in shopping malls here), this one is called Black Angels, it's a charcoal based exfoliating/detoxifying cleanser. It's a black paste that looks nasty, but leaves my face feeling great, and smells great to. To me, it smells like Barrister & Mann Vetyver Santal. I digress, it leaves a HIGHLY moisturized, almost greasy feeling that I usually rinse off with HOT water running. When I use this product, it's the same as the better of the pre shave oils I've tried. I can't say if it's better or worse, just different. I think when I use this, I have more time, and spend more time lathering.
I think that was just a lot of words that don't really have a message related to if pre shave oils work. Oh well. Take what you want from it.
=P

8 415
 09-26-2018, 08:43 PM
User Info
I enjoy using the PAA mentholated cube.  It is very slick, but I agree that a good soap does not require additional slickness.  I really only use it to add the additional cooling effect - especially with soaps that do not have any.  It is not necessary but just prefer enhanced cooler shaves.  Oils have done nothing for me.
Steve

0 961