09-26-2018, 09:50 PM
User Info
(09-26-2018, 08:43 PM)Smooth Steve Wrote: I enjoy using the PAA mentholated cube.  It is very slick, but I agree that a good soap does not require additional slickness.  I really only use it to add the additional cooling effect - especially with soaps that do not have any.  It is not necessary but just prefer enhanced cooler shaves.  Oils have done nothing for me.
Steve
You do know you can purchase menthol crystals, you can add to anything, right? I think I bought 4 oz for 5 bucks or less. Just a couple of the crystals is MORE than enough for a 100ml bottle of aftershave, and that is like a sprinkle of salt out of a salt shaker amount, if that makes sense lol

8 415
 09-28-2018, 11:21 AM
User Info
I recently wrote a blog about the benefits of a pre-shave oil. My consensus...pre-shave oils are nice and offer you a way to be a little more luxurious. If you get in-grown hairs often, razor burn, or feel a lot of irritation when you shave, it might be time to invest in a solid pre-shave oil. In the end, a pre-shave oil lubricates your facial hair and preps your skin so it is moisturized and ready to be shaved. While it might allow you to get a closer shave with less irritation, you might also just want to invest in a better shave soap or get a new razor. However, if you want the extra luxury and you have the $$, why not invest in a new product! 

Blog on Pre-Shave Oil

9 3,056
 10-03-2018, 02:45 AM
User Info
Im down to soap and water as my pre shave

0 31
 10-19-2018, 08:36 AM
User Info
At present I have a decent stock of pre shave products due to a bargain purchase of Proraso pre-post shave. When I began wet shaving I would use hair conditioner after a bath also. I found that it worked for me. If you are shaving immediately after a bath it's easy, other than that it would add the time you leave in the conditioner to the process. I would also dip the brush in hot water and spread it through my face. This I found relaxing, perhaps it makes hair easier to shave.
But this thread has made me curious to try without any preshave. Sometimes one has more time, other ocassions one is tight, so it's good to know about this possibility. It seems to me a really good soap and cream should do the job if you apply hot lather and spend a good time lathering. I'll try that next time.

0 23
 10-19-2018, 07:46 PM
User Info
Ok, I did it. And I got a very nice shave. Just hot water applied with a brush. After the brush had soaked in hot water I bowl lathered (I usually face lather) with D.R. Harris Arlington shave cream. Had a great one pass shave with a J.R. Torrey 992 razor and finished with Proraso as after shave balm. No difference from using a pre-shave.

0 23
 Yesterday, 08:53 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
I switched over to wet shaving ,technically, completely in 2012 after a couple of years of using soap/creams and a brush but a disposable multi-blade razor. I finally made the jump to DE's when I found some old Gillettes and a Schick that my grandfather and father used. I've been keeping a daily shave log since 2013, everything I used that day, how many weepers even if there were any (I'm retired) I found no benefit from using any pre-shave products whatsoever. I always shower first before my morning shave and the hot water and steam are enough if you have good technique. That said my beard is average, as told to me by a barber friend who gave me a couple of shaves and was honest with me, I had thought before that it was heavy, but he said most men make the same mistake. After all your beard is the only one you shave. But my point I was getting to before my ramble is that I could see where men who truly do have heavy, coarse beards might benefit from pre-shave products.

8 2,522
 Yesterday, 11:36 AM
User Info
I have very dry skin and more often than not use a pre shave.  It really helps moisturize my face to reduce irritation.  Though I can see how most people would not see a difference with them.

0 328