09-08-2012, 03:17 PM
User Info
[attachment=5991]
Thanks to Krissy at Prairie Creations I have here a tub of custom made Blue Moon Beer Shaving Soap. Thats right, beer shaving soap!

In her latest update, Krissy mentioned making beer soaps in the past and considering it again soon. I asked her about this idea, and after a few exchanges she had in the works a tub of my very own, made from my requested Blue Moon beer, my favorite, and scented the way I wanted it. Just for transparency, I purchased this from her and I am in no way affiliated with her or promoting her business here beyond that of a satisfied customer.

Now, let me share what I know about this soap that makes it different. It is made with her standard Tallow and Lanolin formula, and all the goodness that goes into it. The difference here is the only liquid she uses in the making of it is the beer. She is then free to scent it how one pleases, as the natural beer smell doesn't really come through. She made this for me over the Labor Day weekend, including a custom label, and I had it on Thursday!

Thats great you're saying, but tell me the good stuff! Ok, well first I asked Krissy to go ahead and try a new scent she has which is "Beer" scent. I also asked if she could add hints of lemon and orange, as any Blue Moon, Heff or Belgian beer drinker knows are essential additions. Now at first out of the tub, I struggled with the scent of the beer. I could pick up the citrus and liked that. In lathering it blends together much better, the beer calms down and the citrus comes out. While I don't think its for everyone, this scent could be well received.

[attachment=5992]

The consistency is like a soft soap. Harder than Italian style though. It is dark in color. It loads on a brush very well, brush being a little wet but not drippy. I loaded about 30secs to get it good and loaded.

[attachment=5993]

Now the lathering! I've done this 3 times now 3 different ways and I've had mixed results based on the method. In my scuttle, I failed. I don't know why exactly, but admittedly bowl lathering isn't my strongest method. The next time I face lathered it and oh my goodness! The results were truly fantastic. The lather I got was very rich, creamy and cushiony. All the things we expect from a top notch lather. I also felt that while it was rich and creamy, it was also very well hydrated and you could feel that. Everyone likes their lather a little different, but for me I like it this way, kinda thick and messy. It didn't clear away totally or dry out after a pass of the razor, and I was able to rewet it and spread it around with my palm for touchups. For me, I really like when a lather has this characteristic. I got myself a very good shave, and my face felt well taken care of afterwards! The last lathering I did was on my palm just for pics in this review. Not as good as on the face, but still really good.

[attachment=5994]

Bottom line is I recommend this beer soap from Prairie Creations. Just ask Krissy and she will take care of you, using any beer you like that she can find locally, and scenting it however you like as well. Many thanks to her for putting this together for me, and thanks to The Nook for reading this review.

4 253
 09-08-2012, 03:50 PM
  • JayPo007
  • Still making fire
  • Pottstown, PA- USA
User Info
I love guiness but doubt it would smell very good as a shave soap. Now Blue Moon sounds better with the citrus notes. Fine choice I wouldn't mind trying as well.

1 129
 09-08-2012, 03:59 PM
User Info
(09-08-2012, 03:50 PM)JayPo007 Wrote: I love guiness but doubt it would smell very good as a shave soap. Now Blue Moon sounds better with the citrus notes. Fine choice I wouldn't mind trying as well.

Well Krissy said she can scent it any way you like because the beer doesn't come through really. She tried a new beer scent she had for me. It's not bad, but heavier than I feel a real beer is. But the citrus was a good call for sure!

I wanted to add that Krissy shared with me that some soapers feel that beer creates a nice thick lather, and I have to agree!

4 253
 09-08-2012, 05:11 PM
User Info
Blue Moon soap, that's pretty cool. Now, if we can get a Franziskaner I'd be all set.

0 241
 09-08-2012, 05:56 PM
User Info
John, thanks for the review. Do you feel a tad tipsy after shaving with the soap? What is the alcohol content? Hee hee.

75 20,884
 09-08-2012, 06:11 PM
User Info
(09-08-2012, 05:56 PM)celestino Wrote: John, thanks for the review. Do you feel a tad tipsy after shaving with the soap? What is the alcohol content? Hee hee.

That would be one heck of an added bonus now wouldn't it?! Pancarta

4 253
 09-08-2012, 07:06 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Nice review, John Thumbsup However, I think I'll stick to her Lavender or Violet shave soap. Wink

2 11,211
 09-08-2012, 07:28 PM
User Info
Good review!

I can't wait to get to the tallow soap she made for me.

32 6,311
 09-08-2012, 07:43 PM
User Info
She could scent it lavender for ya Freddy! I love lavender also. How would you say hers compares to others?

I've been milling around other fitting scents too. I think next time I would want it scented with a nice sharp, slightly bitter lemon. Like fresh lemon juice or grated zest. Or a scent that was a little woody, like an aged oak cask. Or a nice combo of both!

4 253
 09-08-2012, 08:05 PM
User Info
I'm jealous! I'm actually sitting here with a Blue Moon right now! Cool

4 156
 09-08-2012, 08:16 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
(09-08-2012, 07:43 PM)CyberJCM Wrote: She could scent it lavender for ya Freddy! I love lavender also. How would you say hers compares to others?

I've been milling around other fitting scents too. I think next time I would want it scented with a nice sharp, slightly bitter lemon. Like fresh lemon juice or grated zest. Or a scent that was a little woody, like an aged oak cask. Or a nice combo of both!

John, I really like her regular lavender tallow & lanolin shaving soap. I have had a puck for over a year, that I use in my rotation, and the scent is still there. Good stuff.

2 11,211