09-06-2018, 04:50 AM
User Info
Kai is my favorite blade, but they are always among the most expensive at all shave retailers.  Amazon's prices for the Kai are considerably cheaper, but my question is are those the genuine, high quality Kai blades or is it possible that they are cheap immitation knock offs?  Has anyone bought their blades from Amazon?

1 66
 09-06-2018, 08:44 AM
User Info
Not sure if Amazon sells knock offs or not, but I’ve always bought my blades from one of the smaller, specialized vendors. To me the small bump in price is worth it to keep vendors who genuinely cares about wetshaving in business Smile

3 5,695
 09-06-2018, 08:49 AM
  • MaxP
  • Des Moines, Iowa
User Info
(09-06-2018, 08:44 AM)WegianWarrior Wrote: Not sure if Amazon sells knock offs or not, but I’ve always bought my blades from one of the smaller, specialized vendors. To me the small bump in price is worth it to keep vendors who genuinely cares about wetshaving in business Smile

+1

I have received counterfeit products from Amazon on two occasions.  The hassle simply isn't worth the usually small price difference IMHO

62 1,742
 09-06-2018, 09:14 AM
User Info
Bought blades and other items from Amazon. If you get fake items they WILL issue you a refund. I know from experience. Happened with sunglasses.

0 747
 09-06-2018, 09:24 AM
User Info
(09-06-2018, 08:44 AM)WegianWarrior Wrote: Not sure if Amazon sells knock offs or not, but I’ve always bought my blades from one of the smaller, specialized vendors. To me the small bump in price is worth it to keep vendors who genuinely cares about wetshaving in business Smile

Signs011

53 8,119
 09-06-2018, 10:36 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(09-06-2018, 04:50 AM)petropn Wrote: Kai is my favorite blade, but they are always among the most expensive at all shave retailers.  Amazon's prices for the Kai are considerably cheaper, but my question is are those the genuine, high quality Kai blades or is it possible that they are cheap immitation knock offs?  Has anyone bought their blades from Amazon?

I got some clearly fake Gillette Platinums from Amazon (not “fulfilled by Amazon” but sold through Amazon).  Amazon refunded my purchase price, but also deleted my one-star review of the vendor.

KAI is my favorite blade, also, and (last I looked) site founder and sponsor Bull Goose Shaving stocked them; it is always a good idea to support site sponsors.  (As to KAI blades, however, I confess that usually I buy them through an online retailer with a name more or less synonymous with Littleblossom, where the KAI blade addition to the virtual shopping cart ameliorates the mean per-item shipping charge on orders of exotic European toiletries.

1 1,260
 09-06-2018, 01:20 PM
User Info
I've bought blades from amazon, heŕe in UK. All gave been genuine but I guess I'd only know if they performed badly.

0 123
 09-06-2018, 01:29 PM
User Info
Only made one blade purchase on Amazon. If you do your diligence and choose your seller wisely, you shouldn't have any issues.

48 4,625
 09-06-2018, 02:32 PM
User Info

+1. 

Not possible for these big time aggregators to personally ensure authenticity of articles getting sold on their platform.

3 1,147
 09-06-2018, 02:59 PM
User Info
I buy all of my Kais off of Amazon and have yet to get a fake.  As with anything, you should question it if the deal seems too good to be true.

0 95
 09-06-2018, 04:02 PM
User Info
I would 100%, in a heartbeat prefer to buy from a shaving vendor, even if it is more expensive.  But the difference in the Kai blades is not just more expensive.  We are talking $36 vs. $65 for 100 blades from our favorite online shave store.  I would gladly pay $10 more, but a $30 difference is making me consider amazon, even though I have some concerns.  Funny thing is that the price difference on most other blades is actually minimal.  The kai blades seem to be the only ones with the huge price difference.

1 66
 09-06-2018, 04:31 PM
  • Garb
  • Oregon
User Info
I always support the smaller places, especially BG.

0 249
 09-06-2018, 07:16 PM
User Info
I’ve always bought blades from amazon (prime shipping & fulfilled by amazon). If the most recent reviews signal concern, I wait. For other items (soaps, aftershaves, brushes, etc), I purchase via our vendors or direct.

29 1,492
 09-06-2018, 08:14 PM
  • SCOV
  • Minnesota
User Info
Amazon is the reason I started DE shaving.

Amazon purchase of Gillette Mach 3 cartridges, box looked like dropped from tall building a few times, and some langauge other than English (guessing Chinese) on the box. The cartridges were excellent at tugging and causing skin irritation, cutting whiskers was not a strong point.  Shortly there after, purchased a DE89

Unless I am saving big dollars, I prefer a shaving vendor or local men's brick and mortar store for purchases.

9 670
 09-06-2018, 08:24 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(09-06-2018, 04:02 PM)petropn Wrote: I would 100%, in a heartbeat prefer to buy from a shaving vendor, even if it is more expensive.  But the difference in the Kai blades is not just more expensive.  We are talking $36 vs. $65 for 100 blades from our favorite online shave store.  I would gladly pay $10 more, but a $30 difference is making me consider amazon, even though I have some concerns.  Funny thing is that the price difference on most other blades is actually minimal.  The kai blades seem to be the only ones with the huge price difference.

Kai blades are tricky as U.S. vendors cannot buy directly from Kai and the Kai Distributor in the United States does not carry the DE blades (only SE blades, Shavettes and fancy barber shears).

48 19,818