09-10-2018, 08:42 AM
User Info
Just like to point out to you guys. If you use Debit/Credit/PayPal, check your account EVERY day.
I have had charges on PayPal once and twice on my Debit. It happened again today!
Something called AIR BNB. I have to get a new card tomorrow. Because of past theft, I check 
my bank account(on line) EVERY DAY...….usually more. Just a "heads up". People ARE out there
to steal everything you own..... Confused

0 860
 09-10-2018, 11:55 AM
User Info
That is just rubbish! I just shake my head and ask myself, “How hard is it to be a good person?”

Unfortunately, I seem to be asking myself that question more and more these days!

Vr

Matt

13 543
 09-10-2018, 01:37 PM
User Info
Addendum: I contacted this AIRBNB (renting personal home properties), plus the F.B.I. Internet Crime Complaint Center. Waiting to hear/see results.

0 860
 09-10-2018, 05:15 PM
User Info
(09-10-2018, 01:37 PM)zipper Wrote: Addendum: I contacted this AIRBNB (renting personal home properties), plus the F.B.I. Internet Crime Complaint Center. Waiting to hear/see results.

Never ceases to amaze me when I hear of things like this and when the dirt bags get caught, they simply offer, "So sorry I made a mistake".

I hope PayPal's security program makes good on your loss.

1 18
 09-10-2018, 05:30 PM
User Info
(09-10-2018, 05:15 PM)cto2usn Wrote:
(09-10-2018, 01:37 PM)zipper Wrote: Addendum: I contacted this AIRBNB (renting personal home properties), plus the F.B.I. Internet Crime Complaint Center. Waiting to hear/see results.

Never ceases to amaze me when I hear of things like this and when the dirt bags get caught, they simply offer, "So sorry I made a mistake".

I hope PayPal's security program makes good on your loss.

Thanks, This time it wasn't PayPal, they took a week to straighten that out.
This time it was Airbnb, how/where they got my card is not known at this time.
They(Airbnb) keep asking for the same info.(3 times now)
Like I'm booking some vacation and now I'm trying to rip them off !
Just shoot the S.O.B. who shows up at the rental !!!!!

0 860
 09-10-2018, 06:04 PM
  • Garb
  • Oregon
User Info
Heck man it's life these days. People out to rip us off and the only protection we have is to be aware of it. 
Sorry you had to go through the credit card shuffle and it seems we all have to do that sometime.

0 344
 09-10-2018, 06:07 PM
User Info
I have lifelock after my data got stolen through the equifax breach.  It has saved me from two cell phone scams and two credit card applications.  I highly recommend everyone to get it.

0 353
 09-10-2018, 08:18 PM
User Info
It is amazing and it seems there are more and more crooks every day.  I may take Asiliski's advice and get Lifelock.  I've heard too many horror stories.  One thing I NEVER do i use my Debit card to pay for anything.  The only thing I use it for is cash withdrawals at the ATM.  Otherwise I use a credit card where I have protection and where they know me and my card usage since I've had both my cards for something like 30 years.  Plus I get reward points which I don't get on my debit card.  I never understood why anyone would take the chance of charging things using a debit card knowing that it links directly to your personal account.  Even if you have the same protection as a credit card, you still have wait until they research it and resolve the issue before you can have access to your money again.  Just my own neurotic approach at compartmentalization of financial management and practices.  I also worked for banks for 30 years.

0 101
 09-10-2018, 08:20 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
A few years ago someone stole one of my business checks out of the mail and had new checks produced. They (or an agent they hired) then walked into the bank to cash a counterfeit payroll check from my account.. I signed up for life lock after that experience. Although I have had a few more cases of identity theft, life lock caught it immediately.

48 20,062
 09-11-2018, 03:09 AM
User Info
I've seen the commercials for years....and I've thought about it often too.
Gentlemen, it's time for Life Lock..... Cheers 
Today.

0 860
 09-11-2018, 07:07 AM
User Info
The movie "Catch me if you can" should have signaled the end to check fraud. Should have.

60 1,345
 09-11-2018, 08:53 AM
User Info
Went to my bank this AM....They erased it and credit me my funds. Good bank...Great lollipops, TD Bank, they're Canadian.

0 860
 09-11-2018, 12:06 PM
User Info
I used to work for an Internet company similar to AirBnB. These marketplaces are targets for criminals that buy stolen credit/debit cards in bulk and test them on their sites. When fraudulent charges go through, the company pays a chargeback fee, refunds the original charge, and may still have to pay the person on the other side of the transaction (e.g. person renting out their home in the case of AirBnB).

I just wanted to explain this since they are also likely a victim and not responsible for the fraud. There are things they can do to reduce fraud, but it is a delicate balance to not create friction for customers. For example, it is difficult to differentiate between someone putting in an old zip code for a legitimate card vs someone guessing at the zip code for a stolen card. You’d be amazed by the sophistication and extent of these challenges.

10 341
 09-11-2018, 12:19 PM
User Info
Here are some other suggestions: use a password manager (e.g. 1Password or LastPass), and change your passwords regularly. Don’t store your credit card on too many ecommerce sites if you can avoid it— I use ApplePay or PayPal when possible. They offer another layer of bank-like protection, and it’s easier to take corrective action.

10 341
 09-11-2018, 01:31 PM
User Info
I went back 60 days on my card and only 2 places I did not use Paypal or my Amazon account.
That was Gov. online state tax site and Derby City Chop Shop. It could have been further back, but 
I very seldom use it other places that don't accept paypal. But.....These people could have stolen it from a trusted
site, as they did last year with PayPal. PayPal would not give me much info. only that it was an expensive 
smart phone purchased on E-bay and sent to Rhode Island. PayPal WAS very difficult to get my money back.
Had to get nasty with some lady in Ireland(PayPal) b/4 I got it back.

0 860
 09-17-2018, 12:12 PM
User Info
I check things on my CC account scrupulously, I only have the one CC. Not all that long ago someone got hold of it and charged $13k onto it. I wasn't on the hook for it though. Since then I put as much security as Citibank can possibly put on it. I stopped worldwide access, and every time someone uses the # when the card isn't present I get notifications. I also check every single line in the statement to make sure it was me and I authorized the charge. "Ebay" recently charged me $1 for some sort of security charge that I didn't authorize and I immediately contacted Citibank  to get new cards. I don't need another $13k charged to me, once was plenty. The wife thought I was crazy to change cards for a $1 transaction. I saw it as probing to see if the # was good.

32 6,524
 09-17-2018, 01:01 PM
User Info
(09-17-2018, 12:12 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: I check things on my CC account scrupulously, I only have the one CC. Not all that long ago someone got hold of it and charged $13k onto it. I wasn't on the hook for it though. Since then I put as much security as Citibank can possibly put on it. I stopped worldwide access, and every time someone uses the # when the card isn't present I get notifications. I also check every single line in the statement to make sure it was me and I authorized the charge. "Ebay" recently charged me $1 for some sort of security charge that I didn't authorize and I immediately contacted Citibank  to get new cards. I don't need another $13k charged to me, once was plenty. The wife thought I was crazy to change cards for a $1 transaction. I saw it as probing to see if the # was good.

That is exactly what they do.  They run a small charge through to see if you'll notice.  And if it goes through they go to town.  You have to be diligent with checking everything.  Bank accounts, credit cards, debit cards, etc.

0 101
 10-11-2018, 10:51 PM
User Info
(09-17-2018, 01:01 PM)MntnMan62 Wrote:
(09-17-2018, 12:12 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: I check things on my CC account scrupulously, I only have the one CC. Not all that long ago someone got hold of it and charged $13k onto it. I wasn't on the hook for it though. Since then I put as much security as Citibank can possibly put on it. I stopped worldwide access, and every time someone uses the # when the card isn't present I get notifications. I also check every single line in the statement to make sure it was me and I authorized the charge. "Ebay" recently charged me $1 for some sort of security charge that I didn't authorize and I immediately contacted Citibank  to get new cards. I don't need another $13k charged to me, once was plenty. The wife thought I was crazy to change cards for a $1 transaction. I saw it as probing to see if the # was good.

That is exactly what they do.  They run a small charge through to see if you'll notice.  And if it goes through they go to town.  You have to be diligent with checking everything.  Bank accounts, credit cards, debit cards, etc.

Citi has declined my card at vending machines for the exact reason you two are talking about - it's very often probing.

I've had card information stolen before and it's an excellent reminder why never to use a debit card - when those are stolen it can take several business days to get your money back, and in the mean time your checks are bouncing (billpay, etc). But when it happens on a credit card, I've found all my banks were very expedient in fixing it, issuing new cards, etc.

6 1,009
 10-12-2018, 07:43 AM
User Info
I have a credit monitoring service after the Equifax breech.  I froze my credit immediately which is good because I had someone applied for two CC cards within a week of the breech news - both denied due to the freeze.  All of our families credit is locked which BTW - is now free to lock and unlock.  It used to cost $5 to do each but is now free.  Unless you are getting loans frequently - just lock it.

I also have every alarm set on my credit and debit cards with low thresholds.  I will joke with the clerk about how fast my cell phone will go off when I make a purchase.  I also look at my bank accounts everyday.

Sad that we have to do this but with no real incentives for companies to make your data more secure - it is up to you to protect your own data.

4 489