09-08-2012, 10:29 PM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
Ok,
First I want to say that I had a hard time figuring out how to use the Semogue TSN LE 2012 brush, and I needed to get that straight before moving on to reviewing any shaving soap/croap/creams Blush

for me the hardest part was trying to get the correct amount of product loaded with a soaked brush, but with all water shaken out of the brush before loading. I have now been able to consistently build lathers with this soap and other products in my den/nook Smile

Now to the review:
using 10 point scale with 1 being the low end (bleh, not acceptable) and 10 being high end (fantastic!)

Packaging and labels: 10
The packaging was branded well, and looks great

here is a list of ingredients- very easy to read (didn't need reading glasses, easy font)

and a look at how it comes out of the packaging

Scent: 8
The scent is top-notch! I love the way it smells, but it can be over-powering to my nostrils- I am sensitive to smells. As a comparison, this and TOBS Sandalwood are on the edge of what is allowable to my nostrils.

Ease of Loading brush: 7
The loading takes a bit of work to get the product onto the brush compared to something like TOBS tub cream- this may be typical of shaving pucks, but it a slower process. It takes about 40-50 seconds to get a solid base to use for lathering

Lather: 10
Once the brush is loaded properly, there is absolutely no disappointment in the lather! It feels great- creamy, cushioned, slick. Must add very small amounts of water to build the lather and let it get a body like half-and-half whipped into topping for pumpkin pies. My razor blades easily glide over this fluff-of-skin goodness Smile

I lightly rinse off after each pass to get the particles(hair) out of the way for the next pass, this allows the droplets to help hydrate the lather on the brush-to-face.

End Result: 10
The ingredients seem to allow very good moisturizing of skin- no dryness, and I love the touch I get after a 3 pass shave, before I add any aftershave/balm.

Krissy's Tallow Bay Rum shaving soap product from Prairie Creations deserves big kudos! The only thing I would damper a bit would be the strength of the scent Biggrin

9 1,684
 09-09-2012, 07:38 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Thank you for a great and thorough review.

100 12,437
 09-09-2012, 08:21 AM
User Info
Good review James. Dagnabit! I still have days before I can try mine! Now you have me wanting to rush around like a kid in a candy shop. Biggrin

Wait until you smell her Spiced Rum!

32 6,308
 09-10-2012, 07:54 PM
User Info
James, thanks for the review.

75 20,883
 09-12-2012, 01:41 PM
User Info
Today I used the Tallow and Rum "Spiced Rum" sent to me by Krissy. I believe it's the same base as the Tallow and Rum soap tested by James, but with a different scent.

For those who don't know, in the interests of "coming clean", Krissy and I are in a business collaboration. Each of us supporting the others product, not with kind words, but with supporting products (scent). It puts me in a screwed up position when I review her soaps, but I try my best to maintain my objectivity. If anything, I'm over critical so as not to be found to be playing favorites.

I worked in a test lab for years and I believe I can maintain the objectivity required. (I made a few enemies because of that objectivity when I was in the lab, but all you have is my word. Back then it was my livelihood, and I held firm. I still do.)

Tomorrow I'll use the very same soap that James tested.

The soap was sent to me gratis (no charge), so I paid nothing for it.

End of "coming clean".

When I received it a few weeks ago I fell in love with the scent immediately. Anyone who likes Spicey Rum or a version of Bay Rum will love the scent. She uses Captain Morgans in the formulation, and that's pretty decent drinking rum. BTW, she can get away with that and I can't since no one drinks solid soap for the buzz :-) . I test lathered it in my hand when I first received it and I knew it was good. Today (finally! I've been dying here!) I had a chance to face lather it. I always face lather even if I forget to mention that in my reviews- always- it's a constant as constant as the speed of light in a vacuum.

Anyone who missed the bit where I really like the scent, here it is again... I like it... a lot. If I could put it in a glass with an ice cube I'd like it there as well. But I'm here to review the soap itself since the soap can be any scent one desires. Yet, I'll linger on scent for a bit more. The wife liked it. The lther had a great scent ot the spicey rum, but also a "powder scent". It's just nice, and scent is so difficult to describe. IMO this scent is a keeper.

I loaded from the glass container and began lathering. The lather didn't appear to be developing as it should, so I went back for more. No big deal, there's a learning curve and I really want an ultralather, not just "lather", so I did what I needed to do. I don't care what the shave costs, I want the best I can get. (otherwise I'd go back to cartridges and canned goop)

I used a Simpson Special Best Badger which is a fairly tiny brush. I had plenty of ultralather for my 2 1/2 pass shave. The lather was dense, slick, and left my skin feeling great after the shave. This is a fantastic soap, and it's tallow.

And I'm boring myself after testing so many really fantastic products consecutively. This is really fine soap. And for those who think tallow must be an ingredient in a really fine soap this will soap will help feed that belief.

Did I like it? Absolutely. This is a really fine soap (how many times is that?). It rivals the finest of the European soaps, and not many of those are tallow anymore.

After tomorrows use of the same soap GIJames tested and reviewed here, I need to use Williams (meaning lesser soaps) for awhile to get my feet back under me about what constitutes "just soap". I've been spoiled.

I love these high end soaps (you have no idea how much) but after a time I become jaded and have a difficult time picking them apart. That's a pretty fantastic position to be in after using cartridges and canned goop, but we can become jaded in the quality of the products we use. Users of canned goop wouldn't have any clue what I mean by that, but I know that you all do.

Now I need to persuade Krissy to make an almond scented soap to take the place of my beloved P.160 ... Maybe she already does and I'm ignorant. As I wrote, she has her business and I have mine.

Edit: :-) I was just informed that I threw down the gauntlet about TFS, P.160, and 3P, so I will not get to test the Tallow and Rum soap tomorrow. I need to "cleanse my pallet" so to speak and return to lesser soaps for a time to better test what's coming in. I need to get my head "right". I'll return to the Tallow and Rum soap later.

32 6,308
 09-13-2012, 03:24 AM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
Clap Brian!
that was a great follow-up review, but I will be curious to know if you think the *spiced* version is less intense on the scent or more than the version I have.

Biggrin

9 1,684
 09-13-2012, 03:27 PM
User Info
I used what you reviewed today. I prefer the spiced version by far. It's more like a spicey splash that I really like to follow my shaves with. Biggrin

If it wasn't soap I might be tempted to eat/drink it.

Like all of Krissys soaps, load the heck out of it and go back for more and you won't be disappointed. It demands high soap solids IMO.

32 6,308
 09-14-2012, 09:17 AM
User Info
(09-12-2012, 01:41 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Now I need to persuade Krissy to make an almond scented soap to take the place of my beloved P.160 ... Maybe she already does and I'm ignorant. As I wrote, she has her business and I have mine.

Is that out of the collection? I have a puck of almond, and I loved it immediately!

0 641
 09-14-2012, 01:58 PM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
(09-13-2012, 03:27 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: I used what you reviewed today. I prefer the spiced version by far. It's more like a spicey splash that I really like to follow my shaves with. Biggrin

If it wasn't soap I might be tempted to eat/drink it.

Like all of Krissys soaps, load the heck out of it and go back for more and you won't be disappointed. It demands high soap solids IMO.
hehe, glad I'm not going nuts! so they do require a bit more loading Wink

9 1,684
 09-14-2012, 05:46 PM
User Info
(09-14-2012, 09:17 AM)wimbouman Wrote:
(09-12-2012, 01:41 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Now I need to persuade Krissy to make an almond scented soap to take the place of my beloved P.160 ... Maybe she already does and I'm ignorant. As I wrote, she has her business and I have mine.

Is that out of the collection? I have a puck of almond, and I loved it immediately!

I was just ignorant of it.

32 6,308