09-09-2012, 12:46 AM
User Info
Well I think my RAD is now under control. I am still looking at razors and there is still one or maybe 2 that I want. But I have reached the stage where I am drawn to about 5 (ish) razors most of the time and am thinking about selling off some of the ones that just sit in the draw.........Dodgy
Anyone else reached this stage?.........Confused

3 198
 09-09-2012, 04:50 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Yes my RAD has slowed down to a trickle but its still there especially as new products continue to appear.

100 12,447
 09-09-2012, 07:34 AM
User Info
Slowed down more to lack of untried razors that fit my budget... but not under control by far.

So now I focus on soaps... Tongue

3 3,580
 09-09-2012, 10:21 AM
User Info
Pretty much under control. i am only interested in trying two razors; the Cadet and the Tradere SB

75 20,883
 09-09-2012, 10:30 AM
User Info
(09-09-2012, 12:46 AM)missingskin Wrote: Well I think my RAD is now under control. I am still looking at razors and there is still one or maybe 2 that I want. But I have reached the stage where I am drawn to about 5 (ish) razors most of the time and am thinking about selling off some of the ones that just sit in the draw.........Dodgy
Anyone else reached this stage?.........Confused

I have reached that stage a few times...although I can tell you from my own personal experience, if you have a razor that you like, do not sell it off, as all that you will do is end up buying another one just like it.

When I had my SE RAD I sold of all of my high end DE's to help finance and pay for a few high priced SE's. Within weeks I regretted selling of my DE's, and wished that I would have just waited until I had the funds available to make the SE purchases.

RAD slows down, but it comes back like any other addiction. I am starting to actually believe we need to start a 12 step program for all of the various shaving addictions.

5 833
 09-09-2012, 10:40 AM
User Info
Mine has been under "control" for quite a long time now, and I am down to just two DE razors. However, the AD has transitioned over to soaps, creams, and aftershaves, unfortunately.

184 12,003
 09-09-2012, 10:46 AM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
There is a 12 step program available...works like this...sell 12 razors etc and buy 12 razors etc....wait 12 minutes and do it again...wait another 12 hours and do it again...wait 12 days and do it again and again and againTongueTongueTongueTongueTongueTongueTongueTongueTongueTongueTongueTongue

6 1,913
 09-09-2012, 10:55 AM
User Info
Haven't bought a new razor in a long time. That said, I've just moved on to more expensive razors that require more money to buy.... Angry Confused

9 2,988
 09-09-2012, 11:10 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
And the same for me. Wink

I just need a second house for storage now........

(09-09-2012, 10:40 AM)churchilllafemme Wrote: Mine has been under "control" for quite a long time now, and I am down to just two DE razors. However, the AD has transitioned over to soaps, creams, and aftershaves, unfortunately.

6 905
 09-09-2012, 09:16 PM
User Info
Well, the cabinet I built to house the results of my ADs is almost full, and that was my self imposed limit, and I never thought I'd ever fill it. I've moved shelves up until they can't be moved anymore and still do their job. All in order to store the various soaps, and I've had to beg others not send any more, unless they must. I pretty much know what I like in razors and don't see any magic on the horizon there. I'm more than tired (at the moment) with blade testing, so I'm OK there, but I might place an order for a few hundred more top blades eventually. I have plenty of brushes and if I never buy another I'm good, but I really would like one manchurian, and I wouldn't mind another boar or a horse, but I'm in no hurry. I do need a handle for a 20mm boar knot that I have on hand.

Aftershaves don't interest me because when I want another I just make what I want to my specs. If it's something I think others would want I send it out for testing to folks. But frankly, I'm pretty simple when it comes to AS. I like Bay Rum and a complex Menthol. But lately I'm thinking I need a flowery one as long as the scent departs quickly.

So I guess I'm pretty much over AD. Well, maybe not. Come to think of it I'm still acquiring old razors for replating. Part of Brians Razor Rescue I guess. It makes no economic sense, but I like the old razors, and heck, they're worth rescuing for another 100 years of use by someone. But I think I've done enough in that regard and the last few I bought I really had to think about long and hard. I have quite a few in the queue yet to be replated; some that I use.

I guess my various ADs have slowed down quite a bit. I enjoy shaving more than ever, it's just that most acquisitions have slowed to a crawl.

Maybe after I take care of things I have in the pipeline I'll think of something I can't shave without, but at the moment I can't think of anything pressing. My shaves are quite good just as they are with what I have. Too, there is plenty of variety.

32 6,310
 09-09-2012, 09:36 PM
User Info
I kicked my RAD a while ago. I'm happy with what I have.

Slowly I'm kicking my SBAD, but it's taking a while. I just can't help myself!

7 1,179
 09-09-2012, 09:43 PM
User Info
Getting there...I've almost completed my 7 day set of of SE razors.

5 938
 09-10-2012, 12:50 AM
  • Johan
  • Barberian of the lathering
  • Sweden
User Info
I have discovered that mine Rad is like a leaking water tap. From full stream for over a year, i have been able to turn it down so theres now only a few waterdrops able to get out. This month these waterdrops are called Ideal adjustable razor (Russian Slim copy) and Cadet tp-26 open comb. I´m waiting unpatiently. I hope these will be the last bought razors. I dont really need more. Hmm

0 284
 09-10-2012, 02:10 AM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
Under control? Must be my cultural differences. What's that mean? Biggrin

88 4,233
 09-10-2012, 04:04 AM
User Info
RAD under control = lying to oneself...

An AD cannot be controlled, only contained. For instance by focusing on a narrow segment of the razor world that is no longer manufactured - like folks who love the SE do - or by putting a firm limit on what one is allowed to spend... I opt for the later, and have as a rule of thumb that I wont spend more than I can get through customs without paying taxes or VAT on.

3 3,580
 09-10-2012, 08:14 AM
User Info
(09-09-2012, 12:46 AM)missingskin Wrote: Anyone else reached this stage?.........Confused

Good luck, mate. Wink I've got seven. And I'm itching for one of those Cadet razors Joe is importing through his Shave-a-buck enterprise.

You'll lose the urge one day. The day you take a terminal dirt nap! Shok Otherwise, bwahaha! Firedevil

0 554
 09-10-2012, 09:47 AM
User Info
Just pulled the trigger on a Cadet TP-24. Facepalm

Can eternal damnation be far away now? Firedevil

0 554
 09-10-2012, 11:14 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
When you believe (falsely think) you have your AD's under control, it will rise up and bite you in the butt (right next to your wallet).

173 23,546
 09-10-2012, 01:54 PM
  • Triad
  • Triad Razor Handles
  • Texas
User Info
I keep buying razors i,ve sold in the past!! I,ve got to quit selling

115 1,692
 09-11-2012, 07:21 AM
User Info
When I started, I was like a kid in a confectionery ! Months passed and I slowed, even sold some stuff. Now I have a 34C, a Tech and a Rde Tip '56. I've 3 soaps that I use and I'm loaded in blade for the next 5 years ( about 600 blade: 300 Perma-Sharp, 100 IP, 100 Schick and couple of other brands).

0 23