09-17-2018, 09:06 PM
User Info
Once again my job have made me go places to do stuff, and once again I have been shaving out of my GoBag... and once again I'm reminded by what I miss most when not shaving in my own den.

Not quality razors; I actually have two of those in my kit, a vintage Gillette and a more modern Merkur.
Not a good brush; the Omega travel boar is a great performer and a good trooper.
Not good lather; the BEA shave stick I picked up in Spain a few years ago is all that and more.
Not my alum; I got a handy dandy travel sized one in a push up container.
Not a nice aftershave; I got a small bottle of Krampert's Finest, and it's fine indeed.
Not a beard oil; I keep a small bottle of Wet Shaving Products Matterhorn in with the rest of my gear.

No.. what I miss is what I don't have... choice. Apart from the option of picking one of two razors, every single shave when Im on a trip is the same gear. Same brush. Same lather. Same aftershave. Same, same, same.

I do realise that some guys find their perfect setup and stick to it - one razor, one brush, one soap. I can't do that. I cannot imagine going back to the dark age of always shaving with the same gear when there is choices available. I relish on rotating my razors and brushes. I enjoy agonising over what soap to use any given day, and which of my aftershaves I can pair it with.

Choice.

I miss that when travelling...

3 5,703
 09-18-2018, 01:30 AM
User Info
How long are your trips?

At home, I too enjoy the choice and variety.  But I switch out gear about once per week (except for AS, which is a daily mood thing), so when I'm traveling for up to a week, it's not really much of a change.  If the trip is more than a week, I have been known to take more than one razor.

But there can be variety in traveling too.  By that I mean, I have special gear I only use when traveling.  Like a shave stick; never use it at home.  Like my small Omega boar; it's my travel brush.  Like a certain vintage Gillette (a SuperSpeed); I only use it when traveling.  So when I travel, there is the feeling of, "Oh boy, I get to use my travel gear."

Also, there is the bathroom configuration on the road.  The sinks and shelves are all different, so the logistics of the shave are new.

Because I don't change gear daily when at home, a week or so on the road is itself a welcome bit of variety.

19 305
 09-18-2018, 04:18 AM
User Info
I don't typically travel for much more than 3 or 4 days at a time.  The only time I might travel for longer periods is vacations but even then the most I've been away is about 14 days.  And for vacations, I probably am not shaving every day.  But if I'm on a longer vacation, I'm not there to shave.  I'm more likely than not visiting some foreign land and as such, I'm entirely ensconced in getting to know a new place.  And I'm probably moving around a fair amount as we travel to different cities.  So, I get all the variety I need in being in a completely new place.  The shave is an afterthought at this point and using the same gear every other day isn't an issue.  In fact, it can actually provide me with one bit of familiarity of home while away from home.  And to carry around duplicates or triplicates of shaving gear simply so I can change up my shave seems like a total burden.  If I'm traveling in Europe I want to be carrying as little as possible.  I'll still bring a full kit but I sure am not going to double up.  I'm good with my fixed travel kit.  It works for me.

0 71
 09-18-2018, 05:00 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
One thing Hans forgot to mention is that his job is military so some of his shaves might have to be made out in the field.  I would buy a Speick Shave Stick for your bag (it won't take up much room) and that will give you a variety of two soaps.  I would also purchase a Village Barber after shave balm.  Makes the face feel good and has a nice neutral scent.

180 24,995
 09-18-2018, 07:11 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Hans do you have enough room to bring an extra brush along? That's an easy way to add some variety.

10 3,059
 09-18-2018, 09:04 AM
  • Garb
  • Oregon
User Info
when I travel it's mostly on vacation, not work. My objective is to change up my routine, from shaving to other hobbies and all of it combined for a change up. 
I too make arrangements for the on road shaves if I can. I take an old Gillette that can be lost without breaking my heart. Everyday blades like Personna red or maybe Gillette yellow. I take a small funky Omega boar that is worthless and can be tossed out if I care to lose it.
I picked up a Speick stick and guess I'll just use a baggie for it, unless I can find a tube to put it in to keep the other toiletries clean. 

First thing back is always a great shave with my faithful shavers and soaps and Thater Boar. (love it)

0 252
 09-18-2018, 09:52 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
I caught myself choosing the same set-up quite a few times. I get to know better some products that way. During my trips, choice is not available as well. But, I'm ok with that I guess.

57 2,300
 09-18-2018, 10:13 AM
User Info
My "business trips", to label them as such, can be anywhere from a day to two weeks. I got two razors since the Merkur packs into a neat little package and I started packing a soap that works just as well on hair as on skin. The GoBag is... packed tight. Volume and weight is at a premium in there, considering all the other must-haves I must pack in it.

But even when I go on vacation and is free to pack anything I like, I still miss having to pick one out of a couple of dozen or so soaps, and match it with a handful of aftershaves or balms. Even a modest selection lacks the width of the stuff in my den.

3 5,703
 09-23-2018, 08:33 PM
User Info
when you are home, swap some stuff out. man, i hated shaving in the field. ......

0 14
 10-03-2018, 02:47 AM
User Info
i usually bring my cheapest stuff when traveling in case it gets lost

0 31
 10-03-2018, 07:01 AM
  • DannyZ
  • Harker Heights, TX
User Info
Hans, I fell your pain, although I don't miss the choice or variety.  I just hate shaving in the field.  When I go to the field, I take my Gillette Tech and LEA shave cream tube.  I don't bring a brush as it will get messy and I wont have the time to dry it or clean it well.  I am shaving with cold water out of a canteen cup.  As a Paratrooper, space and weight is at an ultra premium.  Everything I take will be carried on my back for lord only knows how many miles. Mission essential gear takes up 95% of the space and weighs roughly 75 lbs.  It normally gets to the point that I am only packing 1 extra uniform, 5 pairs of socks, and 2 extra t shirts for a 30 day exercise. Also, given the choice, I am taking my extra supply of good instant coffee over shave gear. Or almost anything else for that matter.

1 85
 10-03-2018, 08:36 AM
  • Garb
  • Oregon
User Info
(10-03-2018, 02:47 AM)skinflint01 Wrote: i usually bring my cheapest stuff when traveling in case it gets lost

I agree 100% with this and have even gone so far as to carry the cheapest Omega I have. I still can't bring myself to go disposable, maybe that'll change.

0 252
 10-03-2018, 01:14 PM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
I’m away from home for a month or more every year. My shaving kit is well established:

Sensor razor
Synthetic brush (was a Muhle, but I’ve changed to an AP Synbad)
Harris Lavender soap stick
100 ml bottle of Proasaro aftershave splash
Styptic pencil

I do miss my badger brushes, but the synthetic is well suited to travel as it dries very fast and is quite inexpensive. Also, a greater choice of aftershave splash would be nice, but it’s no big deal. What I really miss is my Moss Scuttle, but it’s way too heavy for travel.

9 1,032
 10-03-2018, 03:57 PM
User Info
I used to be like that, then I realized its just shaving and simplified my shave den: Mach 3, Gillette Foamy/Barbasol and Gillette aftershave gel.

0 96
 10-04-2018, 07:17 AM
User Info
I use the same brush and razor - a Merkur - on the road.  I normally shave with a straight and if I am only going for a day or two I may take two of my cheaper straights to use that are already to go.  Anything past a couple days I use a DE.  I do stick to one brush but may take two soaps with me to mix it up.  I used to take splashes with me and put them in a ziplock bag but now I use balms.

4 489
 10-04-2018, 07:14 PM
User Info
(10-03-2018, 07:01 AM)DannyZ Wrote: Hans, I fell your pain, although I don't miss the choice or variety.  I just hate shaving in the field.  When I go to the field, I take my Gillette Tech and LEA shave cream tube.  I don't bring a brush as it will get messy and I wont have the time to dry it or clean it well.  I am shaving with cold water out of a canteen cup.  As a Paratrooper, space and weight is at an ultra premium.  Everything I take will be carried on my back for lord only knows how many miles. Mission essential gear takes up 95% of the space and weighs roughly 75 lbs.  It normally gets to the point that I am only packing 1 extra uniform, 5 pairs of socks, and 2 extra t shirts for a 30 day exercise. Also, given the choice, I am taking my extra supply of good instant coffee over shave gear. Or almost anything else for that matter.

Mad respect for what you do, I know I couldn't hack that kind of exercises - being an RNoAF officer do have some benefits Tongue

In your situation I would pack coffee too, and grow a beard...

3 5,703
 10-04-2018, 07:33 PM
  • DannyZ
  • Harker Heights, TX
User Info
(10-04-2018, 07:14 PM)WegianWarrior Wrote: In your situation I would pack coffee too, and grow a beard...

Thank you.  I am jealous that most European militaries allow beards.  In the summer when we wear face camo, I can get away with shaving every other day.  I just glop on the black and dark green. Cool

1 85
 10-04-2018, 09:38 PM
User Info
(10-04-2018, 07:33 PM)DannyZ Wrote:
(10-04-2018, 07:14 PM)WegianWarrior Wrote: In your situation I would pack coffee too, and grow a beard...

Thank you.  I am jealous that most European militaries allow beards.  In the summer when we wear face camo, I can get away with shaving every other day.  I just glop on the black and dark green. Cool

Couple of fun facts: Until 1916 the British military regulations required you to wear a moustache & in my experience shaving cream is the fastest way to wash away face camo Biggrin

3 5,703
 10-07-2018, 09:54 AM
User Info
indeed, rank has it's privillages.......{sp?} Dodgy Biggrin Biggrin Biggrin

0 14