09-20-2018, 03:37 PM
User Info
A member on another forum was gracious enough to sell me a tub of Martin de Candre Argrumes.  I have to admit to wanting MdC for some time and just kept avoiding it because of the price.  I have done almost exhaustive research on MdC soaps and read what others say about it.  This a polarizing soap with opinions ranging from love it to hate it, to "good soap but not worth the money.  I decided to shower and shave (2 days growth).  I have hard water and there are soaps that I have to work at a bit to lather.  Lather began to form within 5 seconds of working it up.  My lathering weapon was my Chubby 2.  I only worked for 30 seconds before taking the bowl.  I whipped up a slick lather quickly (I usually don't have to add water because I leave a lot of water in the brush.  The shave was very good.  The razor glided across my face with almost no effort.  Residual slickness is something that I have not really experienced with my other soaps, but it was there with this one.  The Argrumes scent is a very light citrus scent (think 7-up).  Keep in mind that this was my very first shave and that it will take me some use to get it dialed-in.  As far as the hype, this soap delivers (at least for me).  As far as overpriced, we'll have to see on that one.  The consensus is that MdC last a long time and give a lot of shaves.  If that is indeed the case it may be a better value than it's initial price suggest.  I can't wait to really get this soap dialed in and get its full potential.

0 80
 09-20-2018, 04:07 PM
User Info
Sounds good, I'm still on the fence.

0 860
 09-20-2018, 04:11 PM
User Info
So was I until I got a shot at it for a decent price and shaved with it.

0 80
 09-20-2018, 04:13 PM
User Info
That a nice review Preacher.

53 8,288
 09-20-2018, 04:35 PM
User Info
Good read, thank you.

1 168
 09-20-2018, 04:36 PM
User Info
I have MDC Rose, and as of tonight the Fougere. I also waited until they could be had at more reasonable prices!

I think that the soap is amazing, and it is the real deal...no hype...just an amazing product in every category!! Plus as they say the price per shave isn’t too too bad, because a little goes a long way. I love the residual slickness as well.

If I could make a recommendation on the residual slickness front, I have found that the Stirling soaps are fantastic!

Enjoy!

Vr

Matt

13 543
 09-20-2018, 04:58 PM
  • Nero
User Info
There is something unusually attractive about the Fougere that it is always in season no matter what's going on outside.

82 3,454
 09-20-2018, 05:06 PM
User Info
Great review, enjoy! Initial price is high but cost per use is so low - even a sample can last a surprisingly long time.

2 144
 09-20-2018, 06:06 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
For me , Martin de candre is the best soap i have tried.And yes , I have tried vintage Yardleys , Old Spice , Geo F Trumper , Floris , Penhaligons , Art of Shaving/C&S but MartiN de Candre is still king.I missed the Agrumes scent , which I heard is nothing but extremely fresh and citrusy.

Enjoy it with health !

93 7,344
 09-20-2018, 09:34 PM
User Info
I've been wanting to try MDC for a while now. But there seems to be nowhere to buy it in Canada. Buying it from overseas just seems to get too expensive. If anyone has a suggestion for where to buy MDC in Canada, please share.

0 43
 09-20-2018, 10:52 PM
User Info
(09-20-2018, 09:34 PM)meshave Wrote: I've been wanting to try MDC for a while now. But there seems to be nowhere to buy it in Canada. Buying it from overseas just seems to get too expensive. If anyone has a suggestion for where to buy MDC in Canada, please share.

I have never seen this sold in U K,  and from what I've seen, it is about double the cost of other quality soaps so no wonder it is good !

0 140
 09-21-2018, 03:22 AM
User Info
(09-20-2018, 04:58 PM)Nero Wrote: There is something unusually attractive about the Fougere that it is always in season no matter what's going on outside.

“...unusually attractive...”

That is a great way to sum up the fragrance of the fougere!

Vr

Matt

13 543
 09-21-2018, 03:27 AM
User Info
(09-20-2018, 10:52 PM)Roy Wrote:
(09-20-2018, 09:34 PM)meshave Wrote: I've been wanting to try MDC for a while now. But there seems to be nowhere to buy it in Canada. Buying it from overseas just seems to get too expensive. If anyone has a suggestion for where to buy MDC in Canada, please share.

I have never seen this sold in U K,  and from what I've seen, it is about double the cost of other quality soaps so no wonder it is good !

For those wanting to try samples, just google “shavedash” . It is a great way to try the milk without having to buy the cow so to speak!

The website should be operational by mid October according to the owner.

Vr

Matt

13 543
 09-21-2018, 05:46 AM
User Info
(09-21-2018, 03:27 AM)Ols67 Wrote:
(09-20-2018, 10:52 PM)Roy Wrote:

For those wanting to try samples, just google “shavedash” .  It is a great way to try the milk without having to buy the cow so to speak!

The website should be operational by mid October according to the owner.

Vr

Matt

Shavedash is a great recommendation for higher end soaps/creams or those where samples are not offered (such as SV, Nuavia, Czech & Speake, etc).  I had not used them in some time and did not realize that they had shut it down for a while. 

In terms of MdC - I am a big time fan and am fortunate enough to have four scents (Original, Fougere, Vetyver and Rose) and love them all.  I think the value is very overlooked as it takes forever to even make it appear like you have used any of the soap at all.  Not many places carry MdC outside of their website and, when you do find someone that does, it usually is marked up to a higher price than what you would pay to them for the soap plus shipping.  When I order, I always buy at least two tubs to spread out the shipping cost so it is not as costly per unit.  They are very good to deal with and the delivery was very quick to me in Indiana (USA).  Worst case scenario, you order it and it's not for you - it usually is not too hard to flip on the BST forums.

2 100
 09-21-2018, 06:16 AM
  • ARGH
  • Boston, MA
User Info
I jumped on the MDC wagon when they just began with the their initial three offerings-original, unscented, and fougere, my favorite being fougere. So far I was able to acquire the rest-vetiver, rose, and agrumes. 

The Fougere is stil my favorite; however, the unscrnted proven to be the most versatile of them all - I procured a few organic essential oils and now I can enjoy the quality of MDC with a truly bespoke scent.

120 1,757
 09-21-2018, 06:45 AM
User Info
Had jars of fougere and agrumes and traded them both away. Maybe I should have given them more time but wasn't wowed like I thought I would have been.

Sent from my Samsung S8+

1 150
 09-21-2018, 07:27 AM
  • DanLaw
  • Just an old slow fat man
  • Peachtree City, GA
User Info
same experience as Jackstraww and tend to have a bias to French products

3 316
 09-21-2018, 11:53 AM
User Info
I have the original, vetyver, and rose scent MDC.  They seem to dry quickly on my face while shaving.  Maybe I am not using enough water.   I get better results from Czech & Speake and ABC.

1 85
 09-21-2018, 02:10 PM
User Info
I have owned 4 MDC's, 2 Fougere and 2 Original.

In my view it's a great soap, but with that said it's not in my personal Top 10 favourite soaps in my den.

MDC lathers very very fast and with ease, but I don't get quite the same slicknes and protection as with the better soaps and the lather dries a bit faster, than some of my top favourite soaps.

Don't get me wrong, it's a VERY good perfomer, but I prefer the performance of Tabula Rasa, LPL, Jabonman, Caties Lux, B&M, CRSW, Mike's Natural, Czech & Speak, Tabac, Savon du Moulin, Sapo Varesino and Nuavia over MDC by quite a bit.

MDC is one of the easiest to lather soaps out there, but as said it lacks in certain areas for me to say it's among my personal favourite soaps.

I own several 100's soaps, so I have a lot to pick from and MDC will always be a stable in my den, but it's just not in my personla Top 10 performance wise.

Scent wise MDC is hard to beat though.

YMMV

25 6,431
 09-25-2018, 01:49 AM
User Info
I have Vetvyre,great scent, lathers quick and definitely goes a looking way. 
But have to agree with the others. 
Seems to dry rather quickly.

0 34