09-21-2018, 12:51 PM
User Info
People say technique has lots to do with the dulling of a blade.
I used a Feather Professional Artisan blade in a RR Hawk and by the 4th shave (2 passes each) I am already feeling the tugging on my whiskers. (That's poor as I hear some get 7+ shaves).
What are some good pointers in getting good mileage from the blade and what are other tell-tale signs your blade is due for the morgue?

0 19
 09-21-2018, 12:53 PM
User Info
Everyone Is different. I only get 3-4 shaves on a GEM blade and maybe 4-5 on AC razors. Don’t worry about what “everyone else” gets from it and just do what works for you. Blades are cheap.

1 95
 09-21-2018, 01:06 PM
User Info
(09-21-2018, 12:53 PM)Kehole Wrote: Everyone Is different. I only get 3-4 shaves on a GEM blade and maybe 4-5 on AC razors. Don’t worry about what “everyone else” gets from it and just do what works for you. Blades are cheap.

Yes, even though I don't have a thick beard per se, my hair is coarse. When I was a kid and came into the barbers, the barber would yell out, 'Here he comes, get out the animal clippers'. lol Maybe the coarseness adds to the short shelf life of the blades as well?

0 19
 09-21-2018, 01:27 PM
User Info
(09-21-2018, 01:06 PM)soggy Wrote:
(09-21-2018, 12:53 PM)Kehole Wrote: Everyone Is different. I only get 3-4 shaves on a GEM blade and maybe 4-5 on AC razors. Don’t worry about what “everyone else” gets from it and just do what works for you. Blades are cheap.

Yes, even though I don't have a thick beard per se, my hair is coarse. When I was a kid and came into the barbers, the barber would yell out, 'Here he comes, get out the animal clippers'. lol Maybe the coarseness adds to the short shelf life of the blades as well?

Haha. Mine used to tell me his scissors needed a touch up after cutting my hair. Now I am bald 2/3 by choice and 1/3 by thinning Smile
Any ways, if you really want to extent longevity, try a shallow angle, as shallow as you can go. Its always a good practice IMO. In addition, by targeting blade longevity you might learn a few things that can help with your shaves anyways. For example: light touch, short strokes, runny lather, and following hair growth.

9 1,443
 09-21-2018, 01:30 PM
User Info
(09-21-2018, 12:51 PM)soggy Wrote: People say technique has lots to do with the dulling of a blade.
I used a Feather Professional Artisan blade in a RR Hawk and by the 4th shave (2 passes each) I am already feeling the tugging on my whiskers. (That's poor as I hear some get 7+ shaves).
What are some good pointers in getting good mileage from the blade and what are other tell-tale signs your blade is due for the morgue?

I pushed 7 on the Artisan today, it was a push too. Number 6 was ok, but that was it. IMHO the soap makes a diff. too .

0 747
 09-21-2018, 01:51 PM
User Info
Don't worry about how many shaves you get from a blade.  Don't worry about how many shaves anyone else gets from a blade.  When it feels like it's getting dull, change it.  I only use blades once, because they're inexpensive and they'll never be as sharp as they are the first time.

53 8,119