09-22-2018, 10:16 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
I decided to conduct an experiment. I was talking with a close friend the other day about soaps. He started shaving "our way" about a year ago, so he's relatively new in this hobby. I sent his way a package with 10 numbered samples of soaps I know he hasn't tried for a number of reasons. Some are expensive, other soaps are discontinued. Also, I included some from makers with not a very good reputation in some cycles. Anyway. All samples can give about 7-8 shaves, a number of shaves that is enough to make some conclusions. They are white colored or yellowish. That way, I'll get some objective feedback regarding the performance of each soap, not about the price or the maker, which will remain unknown for the time being. Of course, I will reveal him all these details when he finishes with the testing and evaluation of each sample.

I'm just bored lately of all these stuff. When I want to talk about a soap, all the other details except from the performance are of less value to me. Sometimes we are less than objective when we talk about products, when we make reviews. Blind testing is the way to go I guess for an objective feedback. If it's good, it's good. If it's not, low or high price can't make it good. Also, a friendly maker won't make it look better.

57 2,300
 09-22-2018, 10:36 AM
User Info
Interesting idea Nick! I look forward to hearing the results!

Have a great weekend!

Vr

Matt

11 492
 09-22-2018, 10:45 AM
User Info
Sounds interesting....next you can do the same with blades..... Rolleyes 
A living experiment..... Hmm

0 755
 09-22-2018, 10:55 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
(09-22-2018, 10:36 AM)Ols67 Wrote: Interesting idea Nick! I look forward to hearing the results!

Have a great weekend!

Vr

Matt
Have a great weekend as well, Matt!

57 2,300
 09-22-2018, 10:56 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
(09-22-2018, 10:45 AM)zipper Wrote: Sounds interesting....next you can do the same with blades..... Rolleyes 
A living experiment..... Hmm
I know what you mean but it's not that easy to do that with the DE blades as they all have the brand printed on them, with a few exceptions( KAI), and the SE blade options are limited.

57 2,300
 09-22-2018, 10:58 AM
User Info
Does your friend read TSN? If not you could post his thoughts as he goes, and reveal to us what he's using Smile

6 989
 09-22-2018, 11:03 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
(09-22-2018, 10:58 AM)Gig103 Wrote: Does your friend read TSN? If not you could post his thoughts as he goes, and reveal to us what he's using Smile
Yes, he reads us, unfortunately he has decided not to participate in any forum. I will report the results as he goes. I'm thinking of revealing him what soap he used at the end of each sample. I told him to use each sample until it's finished. I believe that way you know better a soap, especially if we are talking about samples.

57 2,300
 09-22-2018, 11:32 AM
User Info
(09-22-2018, 11:03 AM)nikos.a Wrote:
(09-22-2018, 10:58 AM)Gig103 Wrote: Does your friend read TSN? If not you could post his thoughts as he goes, and reveal to us what he's using Smile
Yes, he reads us, unfortunately he has decided not to participate in any forum. I will report the results as he goes. I'm thinking of revealing him what soap he used at the end of each sample. I told him to use each sample until it's finished. I believe that way you know better a soap, especially if we are talking about samples.

Hi, I have often thought that all testing should be blind! My partner borrows my soaps and creams, transferred to random containers with no idea of the brand or price. The most favourable comments DO belong to the better quality products. SV beats all so far.

0 127
 09-22-2018, 12:04 PM
User Info
Great idea.

I think I used to be in the same boat regarding favouring the more expensive soaps, that just HAVE to be great.

But since I started to post a bit less here on the Nook and change my perspective on shaving, I feel I'm being far more honest to myself, when I rate how my shaving gear performs.

I still to this day feel most of all the classic creams I bought underperform when compared to the best artisan soap makers out there. I owned the entire line from DR Harris, GFT, TF&H, TOBS, St. James and several others, and they do perform fine, but honestly compared to my favourite artisans, they are just average perfomers.

I remember when I had used TF&H, TOBS and a GFT cream for 3 shaves in a row, and then used my CRSW Oliva Colonia and it was just so clear to me, that the CRSW performs so much better, than the famous brand creams I used the days before. It was almost like night and day. As said TF&H makes a very good performing cream, but compared to even an old CRSW Oliva from 2016, which isn't even considered on the same level as CRSW Glide, the CRSW Oliva beats the TF&H cream on every single point and very clearly.

But a blind test would be a fun thing to do.

You can also do the same with red wine, single malt whisky, dark rum and gin and be surprised over the outcome of the blind test.

I for instance preferred a cheap Finsbury gin over an expensive Monkey 47 gin in a G&T blind test.

25 6,352
 09-22-2018, 01:27 PM
User Info
Blind testing will make for some interesting results.  One of the reasons why audio magazines don't do blind testing is that they find $1,000 amplifiers cannot be audibly distinguished from $100,000 amplifiers.  Not to mention $5 cables from $20,000(not a typo) cables.

0 360