09-23-2018, 11:46 AM
User Info
When I first got my Merkur 34c Heavy Duty last Christmas, I had researched the brand blades and heard they were terribly dull and overpriced.  They certainly are overpriced, but I've found they are actually pretty decent.  I got a ten-count tuck through a PIF and have been trying out the blades.  I find they're decent enough for what they are, average lifespan, and give me no irritation, though I do get a weeper here and there.

Now, I can't justify spending a dollar per blade on something that is, at best, an average blade when there are others far more reasonably priced that are sharper, smoother, and longer-lasting, such as PolSilver Super Iridium and Gillete Silver Blue, to name just two examples.  But neither can I really say they're horrible.  I've definitely had worse experiences with blades, from "too sharp" (Dorco Prime Platinum, Feather, and 7 O'Clock Black) to ridiculously dull (Van Der Hagen, which is similarly overpriced).  So why do Merkur blades have such a poor reputation relative to other brands?

0 112
 09-23-2018, 11:53 AM
User Info
When I bought my first DE razor years ago, it was a Merkur 23C, and it came with a tuck of Merkur blades.  I had no complaints.  I thought they were just fine, though I found other blades I liked better and which were more commonly available.

19 302
 09-23-2018, 12:02 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
The only Merkur blades I've tried were supplied with the new Merkur razors I've purchased. They felt somewhat similar to Wilkinson blades, but I was quite an inexperienced shaver at that time. Perhaps those are two blades I should revisit.

10 3,041
 09-23-2018, 09:30 PM
  • Garb
  • Oregon
User Info
Each to their own on blades. I have not enjoyed Merkur blades at all and won't give them another chance. Life's too short and I've too many other good blades.

0 249