09-23-2018, 12:18 PM
User Info
Hello everyone. I know this is a YMMV thing but I'm wondering if anyone can relate and might have some suggestions. I've noticed I need a sharp blade but certain sharp blades cause irritation, not sure why. If I use a duller blade it's nothing but pulling and tugging. I'm using a game changer and so far the personna Israeli reds are the only blades that are comfortable and don't cause irritation. Feathers sometimes and gsb if I'm using a rockwell 6c but don't use it since I got game changer awhile ago. I have a ridiculous amount of different blades to try but wondering if anyone has suggestions or what may be closest to the reds. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. Also I ride the cap or neutral.

0 35
 09-23-2018, 12:25 PM
User Info
My first question. What soaps are you using ? I find some soaps work better with some blades.
Also, to get on my favorite bandwagon, you may have a mild allergic reaction to a particular soap.
When I "test" a blade or razor,I use a proven performer soap. MWF my choice.

0 747
 09-23-2018, 01:26 PM
User Info
(09-23-2018, 12:25 PM)zipper Wrote: My first question. What soaps are you using ? I find some soaps work better with some blades.
Also, to get on my favorite bandwagon, you may have a mild allergic reaction to a particular soap.
When I "test" a blade or razor,I use a proven performer soap. MWF my choice.

I have several (a full drawer my girlfriend gives me crap about) however whenever I try something new which in this case is the blade I have a "control" set up I use to minimize the variables. So for soap I use wk pompelmo I can go weeks without any irritation using that soap, game changer, and Israeli red. Just want to have more than one blade option. Ive heard that overly sharp blades in general can cause irritation but don't understand why. What is it that makes a sharp blade cause irritation?

0 35
 09-23-2018, 02:38 PM
User Info
Based on what you are saying, I have a couple of ideas that aren't related to the blade.  As far as blades go, I'm a fan of Gillette 7 o'clock SS, Gillette Silver Blue's and Gillette Platinums.  Astra is another really popular brand.

I haven't had trouble with quality blades causing irritation until they become dull.

Regarding my ideas, remember to shave the lather and not the whiskers.  This is a good way of communicating the importance of a very light touch.  Next, pre-shave preparation is really critical. 

Moderator Note:  Link to website not affiliated with TSN removed. 

0 62
 09-23-2018, 02:50 PM
User Info
Sharp blades are less forgiving and may remove more skin, where a blade with less sharpness skips over it, the sharp one cuts through it, that could be your problem. The irritation might also be caused by the blades coating? Which blades have you tried? If you haven't tried them so far i would suggest the Personna Med Prep (especially useful when you suspect that the coating may cause you problems) very sharp but smooth and no wax dots if that is important to you and the Gillette 7 o'Clock Super Platinum, even sharper in my opinion, but not so smooth. The Personna Red was too dull for me, but if it works great for you, you could try out Voshkod blades, they are not that sharp, but very very smooth. Hope that helps.

0 32
 09-23-2018, 04:10 PM
User Info
A good forgiving blade is Astra Superior Platinum, though you'll want to use it in a medium-aggressive razor like the Merkur 34c.  I've had trouble with Feather, Dorco Prime Platinum, Shark, and 7 O'clock Black being too sharp for me.  Van Der Hagen pulled and tugged on my face—that is a truly dull blade not worth the money.  A nice slick soap or cream also helps.  Dr. Jon's and Oleo Soap Works make nice slick lathers that should help.

0 112
 09-24-2018, 12:11 PM
User Info
Used the med prep today and it was ok. Not too much tugging and zero irritation. Not as comfy as Israelis but not disappointing. I have tried the black 7 o'clock and they feel very rough to me, same with astra. Although I'll give astra another shot, it was one of my first blades and I'm sure my technique was off. Always used to use too much pressure. Out of curiosity what angle does everyone use? For lack of knowing the term I'll say cap biased, neutral, or guard biased?

0 35
 09-24-2018, 04:02 PM
User Info