• Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
[Image: 46f561872fe9bebea837e8e55759f44e.jpg]

[Image: 381fb7901c57fac5056bd8be715699ef.jpg]

[Image: 1c24ae047c319e358e13b3e3a532a0d3.jpg]

[Image: ab37c1bd12b9f213fa18f00569152827.jpg]

A good friend of mine and compadre from New Mexico sent me this cream few weeks ago since he knew how much I appreciate English creams.Well , he was totally right.

I’ll start from the beginning : this cream is as good as TOBS Avocado.And that’s a pretty great cream.But it has a more subtle and fresh scent , which won’t polarize as much as the Avocado one.

If you read the ingredients , it’s first one is Aloe Vera.Not water but Aloe Vera.That gives you an idea that this cream is going to be good.

It’s texture is quite dense , more than many of my recent TOBS creams , including Avocado or St James.

The scent is very fresh and light , on the herbal side.It does has a presence but is not overpowering like TOBS Jermyn St.

And the shave is great with this cream.Extra slick lather , something I appreciate a lot these days , specially when using a DE razor or multicartridge to shave my head.I have used it with no pre shave oil ( I have extra dry skin and I always use it for my face shaves) and , with two razor passes , no signs of dryness after the shave.

For 18 dollars has a very competitive price when compared to TOBS but this cream is as good as any of the Taylor’s ones or even the Trumper or St James.

Thank you Joseph for this gift.Of the 3 Asylum creams I own (Charcoal , Bergamot and Aloe) , the Aloe is the best of the 3 in performance.Scent wise I slightly prefer the Bergamot.

Long life to the English shaving creams !

93 7,332
 09-24-2018, 05:29 PM
  • Nero
  • No Waxation Without Representation
  • Lanolin-Free or Die
User Info
Thanks Teiste, nice review!

82 3,405
 09-24-2018, 05:46 PM
User Info
Nice review Teiste.

I went through a tub of the Charcoal that a generous member was kind enough to PIF to me.  Now I'm going through a tub of the European Barbershop.  A tub of the Aloe is on my list of items to acquire.

There is much to like about these creams.  They are true creams, and not soft soaps.   Scent and performance are comparable to the better creams on the market.  The price represents a great value.  

As long as these are available, I don't see a reason to buy any of the other big name British tub creams.

53 8,125
 09-25-2018, 08:23 AM
User Info
Good to see you posting here again, Teiste.

I miss your posts.

You inspired me a lot at the start of my wet shaving journey back in 2011/2012.

Back then you made a lot of great videos.

These days I use all the remaining of my English shaving creams for my head shaves, since I’m not as sensitive on the head as I am on my face.
I have owned the entire line (literally the entire line) of creams from TOBS, DR HARRIS, TF&H and GFT as well as St. James.

I have now sold most of them and gave the rest to my father. Most were unused. I kept 5-6 TOBS creams and use these for head shaves only. Love their scents (Grapefruit, Peppermint, Coconut, Cedarwood and St. James) but they do however underperform when I use them for my facial shaves.

They are not bad per se, but compared to my top soaps and top creams like Castle Forbes, Esbjerg, CRSW, B&M, Mike’s Natural, Tabula Rasa, LPL, Sapo Varesino, Savon du Moulin, Xpec, Nuavia, ABC, ADP, Jabonman and Caties Lux, my traditional English creams just do not make the cut any longer.

I agree with you, that when using a pre shave oil/cream the difference between the great and good performing soaps/creams seem to smooth out.

I still remember my TOBS Avocado. One of the best creams I had tried up to that point back in 2011, scent was a bit weird though. Sort of a creamy cucumber scent. Today all the Esbjerg creams outperform TOBS Avocado easily for my preferences though.

25 6,344
 09-25-2018, 10:44 AM
  • Nero
  • Lanolin-Free or Die
User Info
Claus and Others,
How do you describe the scent of the TOBS Cedarwood? Is it strict cedar, or also other woods/needles and things going on?

Thanks for your impressions.

82 3,405
 09-25-2018, 02:43 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(09-25-2018, 08:23 AM)CHSeifert Wrote: Good to see you posting here again, Teiste.

I miss your posts.

These days I use all the remaining of my English shaving creams for my head shaves, since I’m not as sensitive on the head as I am on my face.
I have owned the entire line (literally the entire line) of creams from TOBS, DR HARRIS, TF&H and GFT as well as St. James.

I have now sold most of them and gave the rest to my father. Most were unused. I kept 5-6 TOBS creams and use these for head shaves only. Love their scents (Grapefruit, Peppermint, Coconut, Cedarwood and St. James) but they do however underperform when I use them for my facial shaves.

They are not bad per se, but compared to my top soaps and top creams like Castle Forbes, Esbjerg, CRSW, B&M, Mike’s Natural, Tabula Rasa, LPL, Sapo Varesino, Savon du Moulin, Xpec, Nuavia, ABC, ADP, Jabonman and Caties Lux, my traditional English creams just do not make the cut any longer.

I agree with you, that when using a pre shave oil/cream the difference between the great and good performing soaps/creams seem to smooth out.

I still remember my TOBS Avocado. One of the best creams I had tried up to that point back in 2011, scent was a bit weird though. Sort of a creamy cucumber scent. Today all the Esbjerg creams outperform TOBS Avocado easily for my preferences though.

Thank you for your kind words , my friend

Well , for me is a question of nostalgia , of being back to where I started with creams.I also love most of the scents of those creams and using pre shave oil makes a difference for me.

Your father is a lucky guy !

93 7,332
 09-25-2018, 02:44 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(09-25-2018, 10:44 AM)Nero Wrote: Claus and Others,
How do you describe the scent of the TOBS Cedarwood? Is it strict cedar, or also other woods/needles and things going on?

Its a mixed of woody and spicy notes , I would say , but not sweet as their Sandalwood is.I prefer the Cedar over the Sandalwood.

93 7,332
 09-26-2018, 05:22 AM
  • Nero
  • Lanolin-Free or Die
User Info
(09-25-2018, 02:44 PM)Teiste Wrote:

Its a mixed of woody and spicy notes , I would say , but not sweet as their Sandalwood is.I prefer the Cedar over the Sandalwood.
Thanks Teiste!

I was not at all a fan of their Sandalwood.
I think I might like the Cedarwood... Maybe I'll just start with a sample though.

82 3,405
 09-26-2018, 12:30 PM
User Info

Me too. Cedarwood is a very cosy spicy woody blend. I really like it.

I never quite understood why TOBS Sandalwood was so much hyped back in 2011/2012, I get a medicinal cologne scented sandalwood from it.
A great sandalwood to me is the AOS Valobra made Tallow sandalwood soap and a more milder version of this is the AOS sandalwood shaving cream.

DR Harris Sandalwood is also fantastic and if I want a more cologne like Sandalwood, St. James of London Sandalwood & Bergamot is excellent.

I have a theory, that TOBS reformulated their creams some where in 2013/2014, circa at the time when they released St. James, Peppermint, Cedarwood and Grapefruit.

I think the new cream perform a bit better than their older creams. Don't know if they also reformulated the older creams. The new Avocado I bought in 2016 is the same formulation (as far as I can see/feel) as the one I bought in 2011. But when I look at my Cedarwood, Grapefruit, St. James, Peppermint and Coconut, which all came after 2013/2014 they look whiter in colour and perform a bit better, yet still not on par with Esbjerg, ABC Cream and Xpec and other high end creams.

25 6,344
 09-26-2018, 12:42 PM
User Info
(09-25-2018, 02:43 PM)Teiste Wrote:
(09-25-2018, 08:23 AM)CHSeifert Wrote: Good to see you posting here again, Teiste.

I miss your posts.

Well , for me is a question of nostalgia , of being back to where I started with creams.I also love most of the scents of those creams and using pre shave oil makes a difference for me.

Thanks Teiste,

yes my father is a lucky guy, he just does not know it  Tongue

I have given him 30-40 of my shaving soaps and creams since 2016, where he started wetshaving again, after a 20 year break with a Braun Eelctric.
So I think he is spoiled now and don't really know the level of quality products he now owns.

He bowl lather and always do a superlather, mixing a cream in the bowl and then loading the brush on the soap puck and then build the superlather in the bowl (recommended by me, as it's easier for rookies to make the lather this way, when having hard water)

25 6,344
 09-26-2018, 01:42 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(09-26-2018, 12:30 PM)CHSeifert Wrote:

Me too. Cedarwood is a very cosy spicy woody blend. I really like it.

I never quite understood why TOBS Sandalwood was so much hyped back in 2011/2012, I get a medicinal cologne scented sandalwood from it.
A great sandalwood to me is the AOS Valobra made Tallow sandalwood soap and a more milder version of this is the AOS sandalwood shaving cream.

DR Harris Sandalwood is also fantastic and if I want a more cologne like Sandalwood, St. James of London Sandalwood & Bergamot is excellent.

I have a theory, that TOBS reformulated their creams some where in 2013/2014, circa at the time when they released St. James, Peppermint, Cedarwood and Grapefruit.

I think the new cream perform a bit better than their older creams. Don't know if they also reformulated the older creams. The new Avocado I bought in 2016 is the same formulation (as far as I can see/feel) as the one I bought in 2011. But when I look at my Cedarwood, Grapefruit, St. James, Peppermint and Coconut, which all came after 2013/2014 they look whiter in colour and perform a bit better, yet still not on par with Esbjerg, ABC Cream and Xpec and other high end creams.

My friend , youre very right about the reformulation (the creams arent longer made by Creightons) , but the new Avocado cream doesnt have avocado oil on it.That , or they made a mistake with the label on my brand new avocado cream ingredients list.

93 7,332
 09-26-2018, 01:43 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(09-26-2018, 12:42 PM)CHSeifert Wrote:
(09-25-2018, 02:43 PM)Teiste Wrote:

I miss your posts.

Thanks Teiste,

yes my father is a lucky guy, he just does not know it  Tongue

I have given him 30-40 of my shaving soaps and creams since 2016, where he started wetshaving again, after a 20 year break with a Braun Eelctric.
So I think he is spoiled now and don't really know the level of quality products he now owns.

He bowl lather and always do a superlather, mixing a cream in the bowl and then loading the brush on the soap puck and then build the superlather in the bowl (recommended by me, as it's easier for rookies to make the lather this way, when having hard water)

Oh man , is been years since the last time I made super lather.

Im sure he is enjoying all the gear you have given him

93 7,332
 09-30-2018, 07:44 AM
User Info
These Asylum creams score a 10/10 on ease of lathering.  I also find the scents fresher than those of the big name British tub creams, which to me have always had somewhat of a synthetic aspect to their scent.

[Image: P4CaLZB.jpg]

53 8,125