09-26-2018, 07:44 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
New "game;" Last one to post wins...

Post whatever you feel like talking about. Naturally we must follow forum guidelines for acceptable content.

Feel free to follow up, discuss, ask questions, etc. New topics can certainly be introduced as you see fit, but let's try to have some sense of continuity (or not). The game ends when the mods grow tired of our silliness and close the thread, or the end of the world as we know it approaches.

Okay... Go!

10 3,160
 09-26-2018, 12:33 PM
User Info
Ok, I'll start it Charlie.

I've got a question about Mike's soap. Back in the spring (May maybe) I got on a Lavender kick and tried several including Mike's Hungarian Lavender. The soap itself was great but the scent wasn't quite what I was looking for so the tub sat in my drawer until this week. I pulled it out and again the soap itself was great, but now the scent was completely AWOL. Has this happened to anyone else? Did I perhaps not store it correctly? Have I infuriated the shaving gods? Any thoughts?

Dave

1 141
 09-26-2018, 01:02 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(09-26-2018, 12:33 PM)barbe-rouge Wrote: Ok, I'll start it Charlie.

I've got a question about Mike's soap. Back in the spring (May maybe) I got on a Lavender kick and tried several including Mike's Hungarian Lavender. The soap itself was great but the scent wasn't quite what I was looking for so the tub sat in my drawer until this week. I pulled it out and again the soap itself was great, but now the scent was completely AWOL. Has this happened to anyone else? Did I perhaps not store it correctly? Have I infuriated the shaving gods? Any thoughts?

I have a similar question about municipal street and road maintenance.  Why is it, that, after the authorities have temporarily closed down a stretch of street completely to put a beautiful new smooth asphalt surface on the street, the very next week a municipal utility company arrives to dig a hole in the new surface for maintenance of a water or sewage line or underground electrical wires?

1 1,282
 09-26-2018, 01:07 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
I have a Mike's Lime. Bought it around the same time you bought your tub of Lavender. I like the lime scent ok, but for no real reason have used it maybe only four times. As far as I can tell the scent is as strong as when new. It's been my favorite non-woody/Fougerey (i.e., fruity) scent so far. Maybe lavender has a short half-life?

10 3,160
 09-26-2018, 01:16 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Tom, they did the same thing on my street about seven or eight years ago. Exactly the same thing! It's like nobody talks to anyone, anywhere, anymore about anything... Not only that they stopped work (at quitting time, of course) directly in front of my house. So not only are there patched sections of asphalt, the seam where they interrupted the paving process is disintegrating rapidly. What a waste of tax dollars. And has anyone noticed how planned road repairs always seem to occur right before elections?

10 3,160
 09-26-2018, 02:04 PM
User Info
I have a similar question about municipal street and road maintenance.  Why is it, that, after the authorities have temporarily closed down a stretch of street completely to put a beautiful new smooth asphalt surface on the street, the very next week a municipal utility company arrives to dig a hole in the new surface for maintenance of a water or sewage line or underground electrical wires? 

Gentlemen...This is known as "Governmental Job Security". If they repaired the problem under the road/street first, then paved the street, it would be over and done.
By doing it backwards, it guarantees future employment. It's what they do.....dig holes and fill holes. It's their job... Tongue

0 861
 09-26-2018, 03:06 PM
User Info
(09-26-2018, 01:07 PM)chazt Wrote: I have a Mike's Lime. Bought it around the same time you bought your tub of Lavender. I like the lime scent ok, but for no real reason have used it maybe only four times. As far as I can tell the scent is as strong as when new. It's been my favorite non-woody/Fougerey (i.e., fruity) scent so far. Maybe lavender has a short half-life?

Charlie, it could be just the Lavender. I also got Barber Shop, Lemongrass & Eucalyptus, and Lime in the same buy (do enjoy the Lime also). They all seem to be fine so maybe there is some shelf life associated with the Hungarian Lavender. The other Lavenders I got around that time seem fine too.

Dave

1 141
 09-26-2018, 05:05 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Don’t you just love season premieres?

10 3,160
 09-26-2018, 06:16 PM
  • Garb
  • Oregon
User Info
The reason that crews tear apart the roads then repave them only to have them destroyed again has a lot to do with the city engineers and/or county vs. state vs. city engineers. Things just never fall in place as equipment has been reserved for the job and after that contract expires they are moved to other projects regardless of where the present project is at the time of the permits. Believe me there are fines paid out all the time for delays and it's all figured into cost and deducted the following year on taxes. Yep we all pay for it in the end. Don't you love summer construction? I used to make a ton paid in over-time costs when I worked on the utility easement damages. Helped pay for my brushes though!!

0 344
 09-26-2018, 06:47 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Hey, who doesn’t love over-time?

10 3,160
 09-27-2018, 02:41 AM
User Info
(09-26-2018, 06:47 PM)chazt Wrote: Hey, who doesn’t love over-time?

Me....I never got paid over-time.....  Angry
Salaried exec. Sad

0 861
 09-28-2018, 10:15 AM
User Info
(09-27-2018, 02:41 AM)zipper Wrote:

Salaried exec. Sad

When I started with my employer, way back in 1973, I was non-exempt. A couple of years later a promotion took me to exempt status and came with a 15% raise. A couple years later I found out that the firm "expected" exempts to put in 10% OT. I guess that promotion wasn't quite the promotion I thought it was.

Dave

1 141
 09-28-2018, 11:06 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
How long have you been retired, Dave?

10 3,160
 09-28-2018, 12:23 PM
User Info
(09-28-2018, 10:15 AM)barbe-rouge Wrote:
(09-27-2018, 02:41 AM)zipper Wrote:

Salaried exec. Sad

When I started with my employer, way back in 1973, I was non-exempt. A couple of years later a promotion took me to exempt status and came with a 15% raise. A couple years later I found out that the firm "expected" exempts to put in 10% OT. I guess that promotion wasn't quite the promotion I thought it was.

Dave
Laughing1 I know...I worked 55+ hours a week. I'd be a two time millionaire if I'd been a salaried employee. A6 Plus they could be Union, I couldn't.

0 861
 09-28-2018, 04:51 PM
User Info
(09-28-2018, 11:06 AM)chazt Wrote: How long have you been retired, Dave?

Well, it took me three tries, but I finally made it at the end of 2013. Started working in mainframe computer OS support, then doing IT support for a small medical lab and the last stint was teaching at a community college. When the gig at the CC ran out we moved from NY to GA and I've had no interest in looking for a job down here. Spend my time gardening and riding motorcycles on the twisty roads we've got down here.

What about you, Charlie?

Dave

1 141
 09-28-2018, 05:10 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(09-28-2018, 04:51 PM)barbe-rouge Wrote:

Well, it took me three tries, but I finally made it at the end of 2013. Started working in mainframe computer OS support, then doing IT support for a small medical lab and the last stint was teaching at a community college. When the gig at the CC ran out we moved from NY to GA and I've had no interest in looking for a job down here. Spend my time gardening and riding motorcycles on the twisty roads we've got down here.

What about you, Charlie?

Dave

Still a working man. The plan is to continue working through the ‘20-‘21 school year - I’m a speech-language therapist - and file retirement papers July 1, 2021. I’ll be 62 and will be eligible to collect a pension then. Of course, I could theoretically go on (or slightly before) my birthday a few months prior, but that likely won’t happen. I have a great job in a wonderful school. Nice principal, good kids, easy parking, 15 minutes from home, 20 in a blizzard. I can’t complain. But y’know what? I’m ready. At this point I’d much rather be with my wife, and do all the off-peak traveling we’ve talked about for so many years. There’s also still a lot of guitar playing to do. And gym. Work interferes with that. I worked summers up until three years ago at which point I decided to just chill. Having had that experience, I know I gonna ACE retirement!

10 3,160
 09-29-2018, 09:23 AM
User Info
(09-28-2018, 05:10 PM)chazt Wrote:
(09-28-2018, 04:51 PM)barbe-rouge Wrote:

What about you, Charlie?

Dave

Still a working man. The plan is to continue working through the ‘20-‘21 school year - I’m a speech-language therapist - and file retirement papers July 1, 2021. I’ll be 62 and will be eligible to collect a pension then. Of course, I could theoretically go on (or slightly before) my birthday a few months prior, but that likely won’t happen. I have a great job in a wonderful school. Nice principal, good kids, easy parking, 15 minutes from home, 20 in a blizzard. I can’t complain. But y’know what? I’m ready. At this point I’d much rather be with my wife, and do all the off-peak traveling we’ve talked about for so many years. There’s also still a lot of guitar playing to do. And gym. Work interferes with that. I worked summers up until three years ago at which point I decided to just chill. Having had that experience, I know I gonna ACE retirement!

Glad to hear you've got a school system you like. It seems it can be all too easy for administrators to lose track of who they are running the school for. Check this link for a school in the 
Atlanta area that seems to have lost its bearings: https://www.myajc.com/blog/get-schooled/...5uy8dnjhN/
I read that article and just went away shaking my head in wonder. I guess it could be explained if the assistant-principal was a jock in high school.

1 141
 09-29-2018, 12:51 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
That’s a messed up story. A Bad situation for the young man. I hope it works out for him.

10 3,160
 09-29-2018, 12:56 PM
User Info
(09-29-2018, 12:51 PM)chazt Wrote: That’s a messed up story. A Bad situation for the young man. I hope it works out for him.

I’m trying to keep an eye on it in the local news. Unfortunately we know how good the media are on follow up to existing coverage unless it is an ongoing story.

1 141
 09-29-2018, 01:11 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Elementary schools are a walk in the park compared to middle and high schools. The worst thing we generally deal with is the occasional fresh mouth and running in the hall. I like where I am just fine!

10 3,160