09-28-2018, 12:02 PM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
It's a soap I use once in a while, because I have too many products to choose from, but it always gives me pleasurable shaves.

I'm sure you know that it's not a Nuavia, you won't find that kind of performance or scent or presentation, but for the price you can't go wrong. To take things a bit further, it's as good as many artisanal products in my book.

So before spending 20-30 euros for a soap, give these affordable soaps a try.

[Image: nXcF5C8.jpg]

[Image: qQURcEZ.jpg]

[Image: J65Olbe.jpg]

[Image: yDYeqO6.jpg]

[Image: 6qUmdFH.jpg]

[Image: LJ9ex9j.jpg]

58 2,346
 09-28-2018, 12:16 PM
User Info
I prefer the cream, just squeeze a small amount on my wet brush and face lather. Easy peasy…..quick and easy. Smile

0 860
 09-28-2018, 12:19 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
I still have a tub of the Red remaining. It was the first soap I loved and bought multiples of. The scent knocks me out, but it doesn’t compare favorably (for me) to other soaps in terms of cushion. The glide is okay with sufficient hydration. When I do use it nowadays I load some for the scent and finish loading with another soap. Smells great though!

10 3,155
 09-28-2018, 01:58 PM
  • Nero
User Info
I have the Green tub and a sample of the new(ish) Wood & Spice cream that I have enough remaining of for one more shave.
Both have treated me very well over the past couple weeks.

I can't find my White tub for the life of me... Never lost a soap before.

82 3,454
 09-28-2018, 03:49 PM
User Info
I have to admit, that I got rid of all my Proraso shaving creams and soaps some years ago.

They are classics and I will always appreciate them for what they are.

But they just don't give me the performance I want, only the red cream and the blue cream are pretty great, but still compared to the best soaps in my den at the moment, neither the red nor the blue would come close to a place in my Top 20 favourite shaving creams/soaps, when you look at the performance.

I also dislike the flimsy plastic container the soaps come in. It's a cheap soap, and the presentation match just that. Cheap.

The creams in the tubes are fine for what they are. But the green proraso gives me close to zero protection and very poor glide. 
The green Proraso is one the worst performers among the classic famous traditional shaving creams. I'd, hard pressed, rate the green Proraso a 5/10.

Not trying to take credit away from the Proraso brand. I still own and love their after shave splashes.

25 6,431
 09-29-2018, 06:14 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
Proraso cost me under 3 euros. Nuavia cost me 40 euros in September 2015, now costs 55, and I was one of the first who made online reviews for these back then.
Would it be fair to compare a soap that cost me 3 euros to one that costs a lot more and belongs in a different category? Nuavia is just an example of a great performing expensive soap. It would also be unfair to compare it to an artisanal soap that cost me 20 euros or more with shipping. There would be no logic in doing that. We can't look for things that a premium soap gives, at a low cost mass market product.
I'm happy to get good, clean shaves from Proraso without breaking the bank. 
At least these days we have options. Members that can't afford a premium soap, shouldn't be stopped from buying Proraso or Cella or other affordable products that give good shaves. 
Also, let's not forget that Proraso are the best selling products, along with ToOBS. If they were rubbish or didn't shave at all, none would buy them and none would recommend them to new wet shavers as good entry products. We are hobbyists and we tend to overthink, but we shouldn't expect that all wet shavers spend crazy money for a shave. 
Artisan world is oversaturated and in 10, 20 years, if not 5, most artisans would be out of business. We have examples of artisans stopping their business because of that during the last couple of years. They can't survive. Proraso and other established mass market companies will exist, as they existed all these decades.

58 2,346
 09-29-2018, 07:38 AM
User Info
It is a good soap, but I have never enjoyed the scents which I find overly synthetic and I, also, find it too drying and lacking in post-shave. 
Nonetheless, for newbies, it is well-worth trying.

89 21,229
 09-29-2018, 08:00 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
Actually, all of their soaps contain essential oils and extracts in addition to parfum. The Red line contains sandalum album oil, while other more expensive artisanal soaps contain just FO. I'd say it's closer to the original sandalwood scent than most sandalwood scents I've tried. The Sandalwood offering by ToOBS is awful, while T&H Sandalwood is just a cologne type scent, far from being sandalwood. Proraso cost me 3, ToOBS 14 and T&H 20.

If I had to give $10-12 for a Proraso, I'd probably have the same opinion with you. But for the price I find them here, in Italy it's even cheaper, I really can't complain. I have friends that use Proraso products exclusively for years, spending their money on hardware, so they're not "cheap".

58 2,346
 09-29-2018, 08:14 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Nick, you hit the answer directly. Here in the States, Proraso is priced in the vicinity of $10. For just a little bit more $ you can experience an artisan soap that is much richer in the areas we prize, slickness and protection. Otoh, Proraso is certainly a good entry point into the world of shave soaps.

10 3,155
 09-29-2018, 08:17 AM
User Info
Agree that the Proraso Sandalwood scent is the scent of real sandalwood(yes, I've smelt real sandalwood).

0 402
 09-29-2018, 09:07 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
(09-29-2018, 08:14 AM)chazt Wrote: Nick, you hit the answer directly. Here in the States, Proraso is priced in the vicinity of $10. For just a little bit more $ you can experience an artisan soap that is much richer in the areas we prize, slickness and protection. Otoh, Proraso is certainly a good entry point into the world of shave soaps.
Charlie, I know there are price differences that's why I said that. I totally understand it. Another example of an affordable product I find here is the Palmolive cream, which costs only 1.4 euro. I'm sure it's more expensive in the States, as they're many other European products. So this thread is more for the European members that have access to these at a low price.

Same for us in Europe. A single CRSW would cost me more than 45 euros, as crazy as it sounds, with shipping and taxes. And it's just a 4 .oz soap. It makes Nuavia soaps look cheaper, which they actually are, if you consider all the costs.

58 2,346
 09-29-2018, 10:43 AM
User Info
Even if you take the price of Proraso into consideration, I would still recommend products like Haslinger shaving soap, Speick shaving cream, La Toja shaving stick, Speick shaving stick and O Melhor shaving cream over Proraso, if I should recommend affordable products to a rookie.

25 6,431
 09-29-2018, 02:16 PM
User Info
Proraso Sandalwood is one of my favorites because of the scent.  I agree they could upgrade the container though but I still enjoy it.

4 489
 10-01-2018, 08:12 AM
User Info
I used [Image: M9Dw6H4.jpg]Proraso Blue today after a year absence and forgot how amazing it was

0 20
 10-01-2018, 08:35 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
(10-01-2018, 08:12 AM)thefactorypilot Wrote: I used [Image: M9Dw6H4.jpg]Proraso Blue today after a year absence and forgot how amazing it was
Isn't it interesting that there is no Proraso Blue in soap form?

58 2,346
 10-01-2018, 01:12 PM
User Info
(10-01-2018, 08:12 AM)thefactorypilot Wrote: I used [Image: M9Dw6H4.jpg]Proraso Blue today after a year absence and forgot how amazing it was

Proraso Blue performs really good, and yes - as Nikos states - it’s weird it’s not made in a soap version.
The scent of the blue however is also on the strange side. Sort of an anise mixed with aloe Vera cream. Weird scent.

25 6,431
 10-01-2018, 03:51 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I've been using the Proraso Green for years and love the stuff.

[Image: 4QKDMTp.jpg]

181 25,124
 10-01-2018, 05:15 PM
  • Nero
User Info
(10-01-2018, 01:12 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: The scent of the blue however is also on the strange side. Sort of an anise mixed with aloe Vera cream. Weird scent.

Agree. I really don't like the scent, even though I really like anise.

82 3,454
 10-03-2018, 08:33 AM
User Info
Good post! Caused me to dig through my cabinet and find my tub of Green. Shaved with it this morning. Good stuff!

0 130
 10-03-2018, 05:31 PM
User Info
Proraso is a decent performing shaving soap in the market. But there are lot many amazing shaving soaps that can be seen over proraso. Due to this my red proraso has taken the back seat Smile.

0 4