09-29-2018, 12:55 PM
User Info
Does anyone have any opinions/feedback on the Karve razor vs the Parker Variant?  I have the Variant, which I enjoy.  In fact I will be selling my other adjustables shortly.  However, I'm curious about the Karve and how it compares to the Variant.

Thanks

0 7
 09-29-2018, 08:14 PM
User Info
The Karve is very well machined, but it isn't a true adjustable compared to the Variant, so if you want to find the proper base-plate, then, unfortunately, you'll just have to try, at least, a few of them. You'll find it too be quite substantial in weight, but not quite as heavy as the Variant. 
If you are that content with the Variant, I wouldn't spend the money on the Karve as it won't shave that much better than the Variant, subjectively speaking, unless of course, you really want to try and have a new shaver. Smile

89 21,201
 09-30-2018, 01:49 AM
User Info
The one thing they have in common is that both are excellent razors that will, on the right setting/base plate, provide outstanding shaves.  Other than that, they are different in almost every respect.  Not apples and oranges; more like apples and moon rocks.

19 305
 09-30-2018, 05:00 PM
  • Nero
  • No Waxation Without Representation
  • Lanolin-Free or Die
User Info
I had the Karve with a D plate... maybe a different plate would have made a world of difference for me but I hated this razor with the D, and sold it. Even though it usually felt smooth and carefree, I would always end up with nicks. I found it difficult to shave in some areas of the face... It didn't get in the tight areas or the valleys very well. I loved the feeling of the handle, I will say.

I much prefer the shave from the Variant. It's very efficient even with the knob on 2.5. And I like the results I get with this razor. I'm afraid it could break someday so I have a backup.

82 3,434
 10-03-2018, 08:47 AM
User Info
I find the Karve smoother than the Variant on equal efficiency settings. When I first got the Variant I loved it and commented about its smoothness. Maybe I'm becoming more experienced and after about 20 more purchases, I do consider the Variant a great adjustable at a good price but not as smooth as others. The Gibbs, REX are smoother, albeit at a much higher price. The 6S also and from what I hear, the model T as well.

0 448