11-22-2018, 08:38 AM
User Info
(11-04-2018, 07:00 AM)Roy Wrote: Has anyone found a soap to rival SV?  I think Fitjar hard soap may but they have limited varieties.

I have used EVERYTHING.  SV (along with Nuavia) is in my top two.  For my taste, nothing else comes close.

-Mark

17 203
 11-24-2018, 06:29 AM
User Info
Today I used Opuntia, of course it was an excellent shave. How could it be less. It took only 15 seconds, yes I time it, to generate a 
perfect brush load and then a perfect face lathering. BUT (big But) of all the Saponificio Varesino  soaps, this fragrance is the one I
like least. It's not bad, it's just not to my liking. But it won't stop me from using it... Rolleyes

1 956
 11-24-2018, 12:33 PM
User Info
SV make very good looking wooden shaving bowl. Does any have their bowl and do they use a bowl to make their lather.

0 152
 11-24-2018, 03:16 PM
  • Puma
  • Central Jersey
User Info
(10-21-2018, 03:58 AM)zipper Wrote: SUNDAY     Angel   SUNDAY    Angel SUNDAY     Angel 

And that is SV DAY  Badger  Used Stella Alpina and my SV brush. It makes S-U-N-D-A-Y into F-U-N-D-A-Y... Aaaaa

I love Stella and those SV brush handles are really nice. How's the knot?

7 629
 11-24-2018, 03:24 PM
  • Puma
  • Central Jersey
User Info
I currently have Tundra (4.1), Stella (4.2), and Colonia (4.1 and the new 4.3 that just came out). I haven't used the 4.3 yet, but the other three are all excellent performers and the scents are outstanding. As much as I love the soap, the SV aftershave isn't my cup of tea. Not a big deal as the SV soaps aren't too strong and they've paired well with any aftershave I've used. They really seem to go well with cologne clones: Tundra with Gaelic Tweed, Stella or Colonia with Olympus or Exec. Man. Today I used Colonia with the Epsilon Blue Med that is a copy of Floid Blue. That one isn't a cologne, but a great pairing, anyway.

7 629
 11-24-2018, 03:40 PM
User Info
(11-24-2018, 03:16 PM)Puma Wrote:
(10-21-2018, 03:58 AM)zipper Wrote: SUNDAY     Angel   SUNDAY    Angel SUNDAY     Angel 

And that is SV DAY  Badger  Used Stella Alpina and my SV brush. It makes S-U-N-D-A-Y into F-U-N-D-A-Y... Aaaaa

I love Stella and those SV brush handles are really nice. How's the knot?

Dense knot,about the same as my Shavemac but good flowthru.. Plenty of backbone, nice and soft tips, but not as soft as 
Elite Manchurian as good as Brad Sears and Palladin. I notice a very slight glue  bump. The handle IS the brush, I have Ebony, it is
a quality piece of wood. Fine tight grain, the Pharos of Egypt would appreciate it. I had trouble with two knots falling
apart b/4 I got a good one. Buy it for the craftmanship of the total brush, not for the knot.

1 956
 11-24-2018, 04:09 PM
User Info
I have two SV brushes, and they are some of the softest in my (small) collection. Very good flow through - and I find them slightly more dense than my Shavemac unique. Love the handle - just wonderful in use. 

[Image: hyC8nMk.jpg]

32 1,708
 11-25-2018, 06:54 AM
User Info
Wink SVSUNDAY Wink SVSUNDAY Wink 
Today was Stella Alpina. Great shave as always......but I must admit, I like Tundra better.
I think Opuntia has BETTER face feel. BUT, that's just my opinion..... Cheers

1 956
 11-25-2018, 07:47 AM
User Info
(11-24-2018, 06:29 AM)zipper Wrote: Today I used Opuntia, of course it was an excellent shave. How could it be less. It took only 15 seconds, yes I time it, to generate a 
perfect brush load and then a perfect face lathering. BUT (big But) of all the Saponificio Varesino  soaps, this fragrance is the one I
like least. It's not bad, it's just not to my liking. But it won't stop me from using it... Rolleyes

To each their own...Opuntia is one of my favorites!

-Mark

17 203
 11-25-2018, 07:50 AM
User Info
My ONLY complaint with SV soaps is their packaging.  I am a sucker for a well packaged product.  I like simple...plug and play.  I wish all of their soaps came in a tin like their special edition Felce and Manna.  Yes...I know...I could purchase one of their wooden bowls or the new bullgoose aluminum container but I would prefer not to have to do that.

What do others think?

-Mark

17 203
 11-25-2018, 09:09 AM
User Info
Good news..... Aaaaa  Bad news..... Confused 
My ASYLUM Colonia arrived just a few minutes ago.... Aaaaa 
The aftershave leaked..... Confused 
SV lids leak, I thought they would fix the problem by now.
They just need a liner under the cap, to be removed by purchaser..... Blush 
But the fragrance is great.

1 956
 11-25-2018, 09:12 AM
User Info
(11-25-2018, 07:50 AM)Whiskey Sour Wrote: My ONLY complaint with SV soaps is their packaging.  I am a sucker for a well packaged product.  I like simple...plug and play.  I wish all of their soaps came in a tin like their special edition Felce and Manna.  Yes...I know...I could purchase one of their wooden bowls or the new bullgoose aluminum container but I would prefer not to have to do that.

What do others think?

-Mark
The tins dent WAY too easily. I took Optunia out of the tin and into a plastic tub that I can’t ruin =)

10 508
 11-25-2018, 09:13 AM
User Info
(11-25-2018, 07:50 AM)Whiskey Sour Wrote: My ONLY complaint with SV soaps is their packaging.  I am a sucker for a well packaged product.  I like simple...plug and play.  I wish all of their soaps came in a tin like their special edition Felce and Manna.  Yes...I know...I could purchase one of their wooden bowls or the new bullgoose aluminum container but I would prefer not to have to do that.

What do others think?

-Mark

I agree, I bought some containers from the housewares dpt. at a local chain called BIG LOTS.
Saw some suitable size, and very nice at Ross stores.

1 956
 11-25-2018, 10:15 AM
User Info
Between Stella Alpina and Tundra Artica, I like the lather stability of Stella more on the face. It assembles easily and has a good coat with a decent amount of water. The overall effects on my skin are superior with Tundra Artica. Tundra creates more a quick film and is a bit more finicky with how much aeration and hydration. Nonetheless, I think Tundra is quite the value product. It is a bit more affordable but damn, it is a killer soap! Both soaps make a somewhat thinner compared to some of the other offerings. So, to boost the thickness of the lather, I scoop about a fingernails worth of mango butter on the soap puck before the blooming. I actually do this will all the soaps now. I keep the preshave oil in the routine but don't apply the mango butter to my face for a shave. It has become my daily face moisturizer.

Zipper, I will be able to pick up the new soap yesterday. Getting the right time to receive the shipment has been tricky around the holiday schedule. Anyways, I will post if I have any issues with leaking. This may be something to mention to Ale via PM. The feedback on the packaging is necessary. I don't know if it's possible to get the soap tins to come in a thicker gauge like the AS containers. Those dent to so who knows how things will progress. 

In regards, to Opuntia, I think it's probably their top performer for me. Manna 4.3 has treated me well the last couple shaves and I think my skin in general likes the manna in all the formulas. I have a feeling the Colonia may be a contender for top spot in performance but I won't know until I get a few shaves in during early December.

84 1,662
 11-26-2018, 08:15 AM
User Info
Used the new Asylum Colonia today. Very nice scent, may be my favorite, not sure yet.
For the shave....Lather up in 20seconds. Nice creamy lather, don't expect a foamy Santa Claus
like lather. Had a BBS two pass w/touchup shave. Face feel after the shave, I'm not so sure.
Reason, I used the Colonia A/S, it stings. I try to avoid such, due to my Genteel nature.... Blush 
Tomorrow I will use a balm and see. I used the RAW RS-10 with a third day Voskhod blade.

1 956
 11-26-2018, 02:54 PM
  • Puma
  • Central Jersey
User Info
(11-25-2018, 07:50 AM)Whiskey Sour Wrote: My ONLY complaint with SV soaps is their packaging.  I am a sucker for a well packaged product.  I like simple...plug and play.  I wish all of their soaps came in a tin like their special edition Felce and Manna.  Yes...I know...I could purchase one of their wooden bowls or the new bullgoose aluminum container but I would prefer not to have to do that.

What do others think?

-Mark

I agree, Mark. I have only seen the Felce and Manna tins in pictures, but the Colonia tin is better than the boxes. I picked up these plastic containers from Wal-Mart. I think they were $2.00 for a pack of three or four. If there were four I have lost one somewhere.[Image: Cf1DKKp.jpg]

7 629
 11-26-2018, 06:48 PM
User Info
I own 3 of each of these wooden containers for my Sapo Varesino soaps.
I’m not sure lathering directly in them is recommend, but I store my soaps in them.
They look quite good, especially the square one could even be called elegant.

I also own the Cosmo and the 70.th soaps and they come in nice metal containers, but the wooden ones look really good also.

[Image: 71fc30b4e2fda24c01c3fcba91d62e6f.jpg]

[Image: 4879e50f0c6470db13a7f3cd21e42503.jpg]

25 6,503