03-14-2012, 10:42 AM
User Info
Phil's poll about shave sticks reminded me of an old idea.

Loving the Fat and loving shave sticks made me wonder. So at one time, I had imagined grating up a puck of Mitchell's Wool Fat and packing it into a used MamaBear's shave stick container. I knew that I would have to grate it rather than melt it as I know that tallow does not melt well, not to mention what happens when you melt lanolin.

When I started shaving three years ago, I melted some VDH Deluxe into a shave stick container and some more in a larger dish - but that's the extent of my soap mods.

Have you created your own shave stick?

3 452
 03-14-2012, 10:46 AM
User Info
I've melted a VDH puck and poured it into a pushup container like you mentioned. It works fine.

I'm just not really a shave stick kind of guy though so I haven't pursued it much past that.

0 252
 03-14-2012, 10:54 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
I have created my own shavestick and Im gonna make a thread of how to make one right now.

86 7,124
 03-14-2012, 05:56 PM
User Info
Teiste has put up a fine shave stick tutorial here: http://shavenook.com/thread-how-to-make-a-shavestick

3 452
 03-14-2012, 07:56 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
I have a couple of melt and pour soaps that I should melt too,since theyre easy to melt on a microwave.Cedarfurnitureman shaving soap comes to mind.

86 7,124