• Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
[Image: 0f336153ffae6e548d40ef3778cba24f.jpg]

[Image: 8edd3741a2de17038cbce78fb1900c95.jpg]

[Image: 271ae8f26e75ca73c6c1f0382bb852d1.jpg]

[Image: cf8b01806d0c28666085e7f7dcbfbb84.jpg]

[Image: 16b6f24483438980964a3b0d4d475147.jpg]

I have received a couple private messages asking me about this brush and I would like to answer publicly.

With Phil and Bruno (and Mr Gomes , of course) we have been involved on this project and I couldn’t be happier with the results , both with the two band badger hair brush and with this boar brush.

So let me answer a couple questions I have received :

-Does this brush has the same boar hair than the SOC ?

No , not even close ! This is the best boar brush hair I have tried , not only from Semogue but from any other boar brush maker.

Unfortunately , Mr Gomes doesn’t receive enough quantity of this hair to add it on a regular brush edition (like the SOC).

-How long does it take to break in ?

Actually very quick , quicker than the SOC and around the same time than the 1305 or 830 brushes.

Just follow the trick of leaving in soaking on lukewarm water for 2 days and start using it.Youll experience a great brush right away.

-Is this brush a lather hog like the SOC ?

Since it doesn’t uses the same bot bristles than the SOC , is a totally different brush.

No , is not a lather hog and would release lather with no problem.

But due to its hair density , this brush would eat your shaving soaps.However , the lather won’t disappear inside of the knot , like sometimes happens with the SOC.

-Are its tips as soft as the SOC ?

Yes ! While the type of boar hair is not the same , this is the only similitude with both type of hairs.The tips are extra soft and velvety feeling.

-Does this brush blooms like a SOC ?

No , it’s doesn’t.It was a finer backbone and while keeping some hair flexibility, it doesn’t blooms like the SOC

-Does it performs better with hard soaps or creams ?

I play with advantage here since I have tried several protos with the same kind of hair.

Performs well with both and this is not a “cream brush” or a “soap brush”.This is truly an all around brush for face or bowl lathering , with creams , croaps or soaps.

Hope I have answered all your questions

I can only thank Mr Gomes for all the effort he puts into creating superb shaving brushes and this is not an exception.Obrigado Senhor Gomes !

93 7,344
 10-01-2018, 04:10 PM
  • Asafiev
  • Lancaster, PA
User Info
Semogue has been my favorite boar brush maker for some time.  This limited edition brush is so comfortable to use I purchased a second one.  Just a fabulous and classy piece.

0 302
 10-01-2018, 04:22 PM
User Info
That was a very useful review Teiste.

53 8,288
 10-02-2018, 06:26 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
Thank you Teiste. I am really pleased with how these brushes turned out.

48 20,062
 10-02-2018, 06:57 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Teiste never disappoints.  Nice review my friend.  I know I love mine.  Finest boar that I've ever owned, and I've owned many over the years.

181 25,124
 10-02-2018, 07:06 AM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
Not a boar user myself although I tried about a dozen over the years. I have to admit this one is going nowhere.

32 1,566
 10-02-2018, 07:10 AM
  • Garb
  • Oregon
User Info
This is a beauty. I'm a bit color disabled and wonder is the handle black or more of a brownish color almost like a deep espresso blend of coffee?

0 344
 10-02-2018, 09:56 AM
  • w_mcnabb
  • San Antonio, TX
User Info
It's a faux tortoise if I'm not mistaken. Looks very nice when the morning sun shines on it in my den IMO. Nicest boar knot I've ever experienced by a long shot!

90 454
 10-02-2018, 10:57 AM
User Info
Mine arrived today from Vintagescent, and it’s just a gorgeous piece of hardware!

Too bad the badgers are all sold out. Would’ve loved to have em both.

2 135
 10-02-2018, 01:07 PM
User Info
Sharp looking!

1 196
 10-03-2018, 02:38 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Thank you for your comments , gentleman

Another recent question :

-Is this the best boar brush that you have tried ?

Well , is there such a thing as a "perfect brush".I doubt it , at least , for me.However , this one has the best boar hair I have tried so far and the handle is pure luxury.Its close to perfection for a boar brush.

93 7,344
 10-03-2018, 06:08 PM
  • German
  • Simpson 2 Band Aficionado
  • USA
User Info
I am not a boar lover- obviously.
I did try several boars over the years though - including the recent Thäter edition.
I sold all but one - the TSN 2018 Semogue boar.

43 2,052
 10-03-2018, 06:14 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(10-03-2018, 06:08 PM)German Wrote: I am not a boar lover- obviously.
I did try several boars over the years though - including the recent Thäter edition.
I sold all but one - the TSN 2018 Semogue boar.

Thats the best endorsement that this brush could ever have.

93 7,344
 10-03-2018, 08:31 PM
User Info
This is the best boar brush I have ever used. I also own the Thater boar and I like this one more. I use it mostly for bowl-lathering and it works just fine. This is my favorite brush right now. I almost gave up on boar brushes. This one just blew me away. I also think it's the most beautiful brush I've ever seen. Worth every penny.

[Image: 4wzqy20.jpg]

5 1,801
 10-04-2018, 02:52 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(10-03-2018, 08:31 PM)shave/brush Wrote: This is the best boar brush I have ever used. I also own the Thater boar and I like this one more. I use it mostly for bowl-lathering and it works just fine. This is my favorite brush right now. I almost gave up on boar brushes. This one just blew me away. I also think it's the most beautiful brush I've ever seen. Worth every penny.

[Image: 4wzqy20.jpg]

Ron :

I have been following your remarks in B&B and I do agree with you in all your statements.Its the best boar brush i have tried , and I have tried quite a few.

I helped to design the Semogue 2009 LE and the Semogue SOC and this is even better than those brushes.

Thanks for your comments , sir.

93 7,344
 10-04-2018, 05:06 PM
User Info
Teiste,

Nice review and thanks for the info.  I ordered the badger version of this brush and was not sure whether or not to order the boar version.  I did and am happy I did.  It is a wonderful brush, as you said, with all soaps and creams.  It never ceases to amaze me the quality of the brushes Mr. Gomes provides our shaving community.

22 806
 10-05-2018, 09:57 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(10-04-2018, 05:06 PM)LookingGlass Wrote: Teiste,

Nice review and thanks for the info.  I ordered the badger version of this brush and was not sure whether or not to order the boar version.  I did and am happy I did.  It is a wonderful brush, as you said, with all soaps and creams.  It never ceases to amaze me the quality of the brushes Mr. Gomes provides our shaving community.

Im sure youre more than happy with that boar brush , my friend

93 7,344
 10-05-2018, 10:22 AM
  • Garb
  • Oregon
User Info
I have mine in the mail right now. I love boar brushes more than the beast that grows it. LOL

I have high hopes for this brush knowing the quality of manufacturer. 

My day of days. My brush arrived as I write! 

The packaging alone is a thing of beauty and now the brush..............

lucky number 7/180. In the games of darts 180 is the highest number able to be made in one throw. Perfect.

The handle is like a deep mahogany begging for light to reveal it's light colors within. 

Teiste, you have helped design a very nice brush and now I test it next to my Thater premium boar. 

I have to give the edge to the Semogue as I'm partial to a smaller knot. I have found the 24mm my favorite so let's see which ends up being my "go to" in a couple months.

As an added bit of bling with this brush Semogue has included two decals to replace the original if it would ever wear off. A nice touch!

0 344
 10-05-2018, 11:29 AM
  • ischiapp
  • Ischia, Naples, Italy
User Info
(10-04-2018, 02:52 PM)Teiste Wrote: It's the best boar brush i have tried , and I have tried quite a few.
Quite interesting.
Heart Heart Heart

[Image: qwGnJO6.jpg]

0 1,519
 10-05-2018, 11:48 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(10-05-2018, 10:22 AM)Garb Wrote: I have mine in the mail right now. I love boar brushes more than the beast that grows it. LOL

I have high hopes for this brush knowing the quality of manufacturer. 

My day of days. My brush arrived as I write! 

The packaging alone is a thing of beauty and now the brush..............

lucky number 7/180. In the games of darts 180 is the highest number able to be made in one throw. Perfect.

The handle is like a deep mahogany begging for light to reveal it's light colors within. 

Teiste, you have helped design a very nice brush and now I test it next to my Thater premium boar. 

I have to give the edge to the Semogue as I'm partial to a smaller knot. I have found the 24mm my favorite so let's see which ends up being my "go to" in a couple months.

As an added bit of bling with this brush Semogue has included two decals to replace the original if it would ever wear off. A nice touch!

Hope to read your impressions of this brush very soon , my friend

93 7,344