10-11-2018, 11:25 AM
  • AK47
User Info
I love boars but this is too expensive for one....

Sad

0 11
 10-11-2018, 07:36 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(10-11-2018, 11:25 AM)AK47 Wrote: I love boars but this is too expensive for one....

Sad

I totally understand

Fortunately you still having some good ones out there like the Semogue 2000 or the Proraso (Omega) brush

93 7,335
 10-11-2018, 10:08 PM
User Info
(10-11-2018, 11:25 AM)AK47 Wrote: I love boars but this is too expensive for one....

Sad
The Zenith chubby scrubby boar sells for $36 plus shipping which I was eyeing for a while - till I lucked on this thread with a few left. A LE exclusively designed and good looking hand made boar brush at $50 is in my books a good deal !

I have a familiar emotion like when way back in 2010 I purchased an SOC boar brush and I believe the think tank (or some of them) involved in making the SOC possible are involved in this brush too...

BTW can anyone owning both compare the Zenith 28mm chubby scrubby boar to this one ?

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

1 57
 10-14-2018, 11:29 AM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
After two uses, I can see why this brush is getting high marks. Although I loved the handle in my TSN LE Semogue 2-band, I had been holding off on this brush as I tend to like larger sized boar knots with a higher loft. I've been using the Thäter Premium Boar, an ABC Boar, and a Zenith with a similar knot as the ABC. As Teiste suggested, I soaked the brush for two days in cold water, and it was good to go with the first use, and didn't require a lengthy breaking in. The bristles are soft and it has a nice backbone for face lathering. I do wish it were a little larger, but that's only because I'm a fairly big guy with XXL sized hands, although the brush functions extremely well. Compared to my other premium boar brushes, the Semogue is easily the most beautiful, and the quality of the knot is just superb and is easily a notch above my other brushes. I thank Teiste for his excellent review, and Phil for offering this outstanding brush. 

[Image: WXFXuAo.jpg]

38 5,630
 10-14-2018, 06:16 PM
  • Garb
  • Oregon
User Info
after using this brush for about a week and 4 shaves, I put my Thater Premium boar on the shelf. This brush has a really nice feel to it and the smaller knot I find perfect for face lathering, the only way I like to ride.  the handle is super clean looking and reflects the light so well.

0 252
 10-14-2018, 09:16 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
We are down to the very last one.

48 19,842
 10-15-2018, 02:31 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I have owned hundreds of boar brushes since I started shaving back in 1961.  Boar was all I used until 2010 until I was presented with a Simpsons Duke II by a friend.  Now my break-in is a little different than Teiste's but in the end I get the same results.  I always start by soaking my boar brushes in warm water for at least 15 minutes before I start to lather.  Boar unlike badger, actually soaks up the water in the bristle.  I usually have a boar fully broken in within 4 shaves and this LE Semogue was no different.  It has to be one of the best boar brushes that I have ever used.  Now, my 15 minute warm water soak is not just for break-in,  as I do this before every shave, no matter how old the brush is.

Was this brush worth the  money, in my opinion it was.  I hope we get Semogue to do another one for us someday.  IMHO, they make the best boar brushes, period.

180 24,992
 10-15-2018, 02:56 PM
  • Garb
  • Oregon
User Info
I agree whole heartedly with you Johnny. Doing a group buy from Semogue or a limited edition brush from Semogue is at the least a special  project that needs to be looked into again. I nominate Teiste to handle the project and BullGoose to support the sales. LOL

Just want to publicly thank both of you for enabling us boar users, and some badger cross overs, to be able to experience this finely made tool.

0 252
 10-15-2018, 03:37 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(10-15-2018, 02:31 PM)Johnny Wrote: I have owned hundreds of boar brushes since I started shaving back in 1961.  Boar was all I used until 2010 until I was presented with a Simpsons Duke II by a friend.  Now my break-in is a little different than Teiste's but in the end I get the same results.  I always start by soaking my boar brushes in warm water for at least 15 minutes before I start to lather.  Boar unlike badger, actually soaks up the water in the bristle.  I usually have a boar fully broken in within 4 shaves and this LE Semogue was no different.  It has to be one of the best boar brushes that I have ever used.  Now, my 15 minute warm water soak is not just for break-in,  as I do this before every shave, no matter how old the brush is.

Was this brush worth the  money, in my opinion it was.  I hope we get Semogue to do another one for us someday.  IMHO, they make the best boar brushes, period.

It's already in the works for 2019.  Biggrin

48 19,842
 10-15-2018, 06:06 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Thank you for your kind messages and pms , gentlemen

Mr Gomes is the real magician here and I hope the 2019 LEs would be as good as the two brushes offered this last 2018.Both the badger and the boar have been superb for their prices.

I also have a project with Semogue for foroafeitado but that would take some time to develop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

93 7,335
 10-16-2018, 12:43 PM
User Info
(10-15-2018, 06:06 PM)Teiste Wrote: Thank you for your kind messages and pms , gentlemen

Mr Gomes is the real magician here and I hope the 2019 LEs would be as good as the two brushes offered this last 2018.Both the badger and the boar have been superb for their prices.

I also have a project with Semogue for foroafeitado but that would take some time to develop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We can always be confident of your research and development and Mr. Gomes producing a high quality brush.  I believe that, dollar-for-dollar, it is a great deal.  We all appreciate your efforts.

Clap

22 802