10-02-2018, 04:40 AM
User Info
Great first shave with the SS version Ascension razor from PAA. Smooth, efficient and very well balanced. Felt much more comfortable in the hand with the weight that is nearly spot on. Fit and finish is quite good with a nice polished finish to it. No, not mirror like but, nicely done for a sub $100 razor made of 316L Stainless. Very impressive. Packaging is, well, rather simple and nothing to get excited about. Doesn’t matter to me but, for those that do it’s pretty basic. A simple cardboard box with cut outs folded about inside to hold the razor. Nothing fancy and like I said, I really don’t care. It’s the razor that counts for me and if it will perform. And perform it did.....

I performed a 3 pass shave that was more like a 2 pass plus touch ups. The blade fit in precisely and was held firmly and supported very well between the top cap and base. Zero chatter with the blade installed (Gillette Platinum Plus #3) and none received when I adjusted the 1/4 turn to increase the blade exposure/feel and it increased the efficiency very, very nicely while still maintaining excellent smoothness. You get very good blade feel without it being blade forward or the all blade feel like a Ikon Tech or it’s bigger brother the DOC EVO. I’d compare it to a 2013 R41 and up in efficiency while being as smooth as an R5 or R6 plates on the Rockwell 6s. With the curvature of the base plate and cap, there is an inherent springiness to the blade when it’s installed allowing for that adjustability in 1/4 turn and even 1/8 turn increments. Simple but, ingenious design that actually works as it’s been marketed to do.

Yes, I enjoyed the shave immensely for being it’s first time out more than with the Aluminum version though, that razor can shave very well, it’s just a little to light for an everyday shaver. Overall I’m very impressed with it’s performance and am looking forward to getting in some shaves with the PAA SS Ascension during the OCtober shave theme.

[Image: Q9kZEvz.jpg]

[Image: qwMfclJ.jpg]

[Image: PObf4hQ.jpg]

[Image: p3OedjO.jpg]

Aluminum on left, SS on right....

[Image: FsanoCe.jpg]

1 224
 10-03-2018, 02:51 AM
User Info
Great write up; interesting design.  Thanks.

19 305
 10-03-2018, 03:36 AM
  • garyg
  • Great Lakes
User Info
Nice write up - does the adjustment stay in place?  I'm guessing that fully tightened is most aggressive, and as you twist to loosen the handle the gap is being reduced?

50 535
 10-03-2018, 06:43 AM
User Info
Other way around, tightened equals smaller gap.it stays in place.
(10-03-2018, 03:36 AM)garyg Wrote: Nice write up - does the adjustment stay in place?  I'm guessing that fully tightened is most aggressive, and as you twist to loosen the handle the gap is being reduced?

1 355
 10-03-2018, 10:18 AM
User Info
(10-03-2018, 03:36 AM)garyg Wrote: Nice write up - does the adjustment stay in place?  I'm guessing that fully tightened is most aggressive, and as you twist to loosen the handle the gap is being reduced?

(10-03-2018, 06:43 AM)jmudrick Wrote: Other way around, tightened equals smaller gap.it stays in place.

What jmudrick said...

1 224
 10-03-2018, 03:52 PM
  • garyg
  • Great Lakes
User Info
Thanks gents - I'm just not visualizing it I guess .. better order one .. Rolleyes

50 535
 10-03-2018, 06:34 PM
User Info
Does the adjustment stay in place or move a little throughout the shave?

0 35
 10-04-2018, 04:13 AM
User Info
(10-03-2018, 06:34 PM)Gravity Wrote: Does the adjustment stay in place or move a little throughout the shave?

Yes, it stays. Just don't go past 1/4 turn maybe a 1/16 or an 1/8 more but, that's about it.

Last nights shave with the Aluminum/Stainless combo....

The Aluminum Ascension head with the SS Ascension handle. Still a bit handle heavy but, definitely better weight wise in my hands. Just a fantastic shave that left no doubt. First pass a 1/4 turned from tight had a very nice and efficient feeling shave. Pass 2 was just a quick tweak, maybe a 16th of a turn and an awesome finish with no touch ups. Not bad at all this Ascension from PAA. Sleeper in the making....

[Image: HIj4tGw.jpg]

1 224
 10-13-2018, 01:34 PM
  • bijou
  • Chicago Illinois
User Info
I recently purchased the Ascension SS twist because of some reviews I read. I have always liked the 1930's design of this lather catcher self-lubricating design, and have been intrigued with PAA's use of recreating razors with this design. It wasn't until I read a review that stated the SS version had good weight and was very efficient with a slight adjustment for blade feel that I decided to give it a try. I had nothing to lose for the money $80. if I didn't like I would sell it for $50-60, no big loss.

I like blade feel and feedback, I've stated this many times. The razors I use are Single Ring (Old Type) thin head Ball End (I switch out the handle for a stork Ti or SS 13 x 90), a CG Level 3 DC, British Streamline (gem blade), and a General SE SS using a Feather Super Pro. My go-to razors are the Single Ring and CG because I prefer a thin head, the Ascension SS has a thin head, so how does it shave?

I have used the Ascension SS twist now using a Polsilver a half dozen times and the shaves have been for me great from the very first shave (again I switched out the handle for a Stork SS 13 x 90, that's just me). I find this razor to be unbelievably smooth and efficient, I like the way I can slightly adjust the bade and also the feedback is very accurate from start to finish. I might add the soaps were B&M, SV, Tallow and Steel.

I have no idea about the Aluminum Ascension razors they're to light for me. But to my surprise, I have found the SS version of this razor to be to my liking, an excellent smooth, efficient shaver that produces virtually no irritation.

[Image: W3QyOUP.jpg]

54 656
 10-14-2018, 12:58 PM
User Info
Had a very, very good shave this morning with the PAA Ascension Twist SS razor. And just to change things up a bit, I used the Gamechanger Radio Knob handle on it. It actually felt better in the hands and better balanced than the Bomb Tip handle that came with it. Better knurling and feel and weight distribution was just about right. I haven’t had a single complaint so far from this razor and the shaves have been smooth and so efficient. A heck of a deal for $80. Great, great value.

[Image: whe9dnA.jpg]

1 224
 10-14-2018, 01:22 PM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
If it doesn't click at every "adjustment", then it sounds like a gimmick to me.

He really can't believe that anyone can remember the exact same position he had a nice shave the other time.

He just used a longer screw on this and thinks it's some kind of innovation, while Gillette I think, I saw an ad, suggested doing this close to a century ago.

This is not towards you gents, I liked this thread and your photos, but it looks like some "smart guys" think they can sell ice to Eskimos.

57 2,300
 10-15-2018, 08:35 AM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
(10-14-2018, 01:22 PM)nikos.a Wrote: If it doesn't click at every "adjustment", then it sounds like a gimmick to me.

He really can't believe that anyone can remember the exact same position he had a nice shave the other time.

He just used a longer screw on this and thinks it's some kind of innovation, while Gillette I think, I saw an ad, suggested doing this close to a century ago.

This is not towards you gents, I liked this thread and your photos, but it looks like some "smart guys" think they can sell ice to Eskimos.

You can do the "adjustment concept" on a Muhle TWIST which has a lot of spring tension so the adjustment you make will stay in place.

6 2,094
 10-15-2018, 09:44 AM
  • bijou
  • Chicago Illinois
User Info
I agree with you whenever the idea was presented by a manufacturer that blade gap can be increased by twisting the hand 1/8 to ¼ turn. When you do this the gab will increase slightly but the blade will lose it's alignment stability because the blade usually lays flat on a flat or semi-flat bottom plate.

I did not purchase the Ascension because of the twist gimmick I liked the design and the reviews of the blade feel, efficiency, smoothness. But the twist gimmick is real, you will get a notch up (one click on a Fatboy) increase in blade gab because of the design and not lose any blade alignment or stability.

Below are 2 photos of the razors head. You will notice that the concave (curvature) of the cap is quite extreme. When you lay the blade on the bottom of the top cap you have 2/16 to 5/32 gap from the blade to the top of the cap. As you close the razor you will feel in the final full closing twist a tightness because you're bending the blade/metal you're creating stress/tension that is reacting, the metal want to spring back to its original form, flat not curved. Because of this stress/tension, when fully tightened your ability to twist the handle a ¼ turn releases some of the stress/tension on the metal, this increases the blade gap a click (Fatboy click) and you will not lose any alignment or stability.

I have also used a shim (creating 2 blades which greatly added to the metals stress/tension when closing) which gave me an additional Fatboy click (larger blade gap) and if I want I twisted the handle a ¼ turn an again this too gave me an addition Fatboy click. By the way, adding the shim did create added blade exposure but the smoothness and efficiency were still there with very little irritation, again I was very surprised at this.

So I agree with you about gimmick but this minor gimmick is based on the razor heads design and it does work.

[Image: 6gy2Ilz.jpg]

[Image: 8QRcx5S.jpg]

54 656
 10-15-2018, 10:32 AM
User Info
(10-14-2018, 01:22 PM)nikos.a Wrote: If it doesn't click at every "adjustment", then it sounds like a gimmick to me.

Then, by your logic or interpretation we have been duped/tricked by the major manufacturers on what a real adjustable razor is. It has to click, now I see. So, by your definition, that means that the Rex Ambassador, Merkur Futur, Merkur Progress and the Parker Variant are all gimmick based razors.

Thank you for shedding light on this topic. Seriously, did you really think this one through before your fingers did all of the talking on your keyboard? Or was this just a moment of Cerebral Hypoxia?

1 224
 10-15-2018, 11:02 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
(10-15-2018, 10:32 AM)SteelyEdge Wrote:

Then, by your logic or interpretation we have been duped/tricked by the major manufacturers on what a real adjustable razor is. It has to click, now I see. So, by your definition, that means that the Rex Ambassador, Merkur Futur, Merkur Progress and the Parker Variant are all gimmick based razors.

Thank you for shedding light on this topic. Seriously, did you really think this one through before your fingers did all of the talking on your keyboard? Or was this just a moment of Cerebral Hypoxia?

At least Steven was honest, great post btw.

By clicking I mean it stays at the same place each time. There is at least something, a number, that indicates the position. That way you know the exact adjustent you choose for your shaves. 
The maker of this razor says that your hand and muscles remember. So no need for an adjusting knob... That's BS.

If you bought it for the "adjustments" and not for the razor head design itself, then you've been definitely duped by a con artist the man who thinks he can sell ice to Eskimos. As simple as that.

About your offensive comments, I can't say many things. I suggest you take your pills and chill out.

57 2,300
 10-15-2018, 11:26 AM
  • bijou
  • Chicago Illinois
User Info
May I add to accomplish the blade gap one click opening, put your thumb on the handle at the 12 o'clock position then turn the handle to the left a 1/4 of a turn to the  9 o'clock position. This is a very nice razor, so happy shaving guys with whatever razor your using.

54 656
 10-15-2018, 11:47 AM
User Info
(10-15-2018, 11:02 AM)nikos.a Wrote:
(10-15-2018, 10:32 AM)SteelyEdge Wrote:

By clicking I mean it stays at the same place each time. There is at least something, a number, that indicates the position. That way you know the exact adjustent you choose for your shaves. 
The maker of this razor says that your hand and muscles remember. So no need for an adjusting knob... That's BS.

If you bought it for the "adjustments" and not for the razor head design itself, then you've been definitely duped by a con artist the man who thinks he can sell ice to Eskimos. As simple as that.

About your offensive comments, I can't say many things. I suggest you take your pills and chill out.

Here's where we go our separate ways on thought sir. I don't believe on judging someone on their doings of the past or present. I deal with any individual and make my own decisions based on their merit, character and my personal dealings with such individual or business. I've not had a negative experience as of yet with the man or his business.

I've come to the conclusion from your very first post in this thread that you have some personal issues with the man and his business or practices. And that's exactly what they are, your issues and not mine. It's quite obvious that you have an axe to grind here....

[Image: 6WdPsQU.gif]

FYI......

Yes, I do take my meds and chill. Ever heard of PTSD? A couple of tours of duty will do some things to a man/woman. Not that you've earned the right to know or deserve an explanation why. Choose your words more carefully, someone might not be as polite next time......

1 224
 10-15-2018, 12:25 PM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
(10-15-2018, 11:47 AM)SteelyEdge Wrote:
(10-15-2018, 11:02 AM)nikos.a Wrote:
(10-15-2018, 10:32 AM)SteelyEdge Wrote: Then, by your logic or interpretation we have been duped/tricked by the major manufacturers on what a real adjustable razor is. It has to click, now I see. So, by your definition, that means that the Rex Ambassador, Merkur Futur, Merkur Progress and the Parker Variant are all gimmick based razors.

Here's where we go our separate ways on thought sir. I don't believe on judging someone on their doings of the past or present. I deal with any individual and make my own decisions based on their merit, character and my personal dealings with such individual or business. I've not had a negative experience as of yet with the man or his business.

I've come to the conclusion from your very first post in this thread that you have some personal issues with the man and his business or practices. And that's exactly what they are, your issues and not mine. It's quite obvious that you have an axe to grind here....

FYI......

Yes, I do take my meds and chill. Ever heard of PTSD? A couple of tours of duty will do some things to a man/woman. Not that you've earned the right to know or deserve an explanation why. Choose your words more carefully, someone might not be as polite next time......

No axe to grind. Nothing is obvious. Just saying my honest opinion, you like it or not. You can support any vendor you want. 

I didn't offend you, or any other here. You, on the contrary, did offend me. It's a good example of cognitive dissonance, otherwise you would respect my opinion without that ridiculous reaction of yours.

Oh and yes, it's very convenient to play the veteran card. I don't care mate. I've seen and experienced more things than an average person myself, so I really don't care.

Bye.

57 2,300
 10-15-2018, 12:53 PM
User Info
(10-15-2018, 12:25 PM)nikos.a Wrote:
(10-15-2018, 11:47 AM)SteelyEdge Wrote:
(10-15-2018, 11:02 AM)nikos.a Wrote: At least Steven was honest, great post btw.

FYI......

No axe to grind. Nothing is obvious. Just saying my honest opinion, you like it or not. You can support any vendor you want. 

I didn't offend you, or any other here. You, on the contrary, did offend me. It's a good example of cognitive dissonance, otherwise you would respect my opinion without that ridiculous reaction of yours.

Oh and yes, it's very convenient to play the veteran card. I don't care mate. I've seen and experienced more things than an average person myself, so I really don't care.

Bye.
Good day to you, sir. I will say that the Ascension is perhaps the best razor that I've purchased from a man selling ice to Eskimos......

Cognitive Dissonance= You know it's only a theory. None of it is factual or proven medically.  

Again, good day to you.....

1 224
 10-15-2018, 02:47 PM
User Info
Gentlemen, I think this thread is no longer constructive.

53 8,140