10-02-2018, 03:38 PM
User Info
Noticed earlier today they released their Top 10 shaving soaps for 2018. 

In alphabetical order-

Barrister and Mann (“Reserve” base)
Captain’s Choice
Catie’s Bubbles
Cold River Soap Works
Declaration Grooming (“Icarus” base)
DR Harris
Martin de Candre
Mike’s Natural Soaps
Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements
Wholly Kaw (“Donkey Milk” base)

I agree with quite a few choices and some they listed I've never tried but intend to now like DR Harris and Captains Choice.

0 52
 10-02-2018, 04:26 PM
User Info
DR Harris Arlington this morning.  Love Harris soaps

6 349
 10-02-2018, 06:24 PM
  • Gabe
  • Arizona
User Info
I agree with some of those picks. I feel there are some that should be on the list. While there is no definite way to determine the "best" soap, these lists are fun as they stimulate conversation.

Valobra triple milled was left off the list.

90 1,717
 10-02-2018, 06:54 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
I’ve tried three of the “Top 10,” B&M, Mike’s and CRSW. Shannon’s deluxe formula competes nose to nose with all three.

10 3,155
 10-02-2018, 06:55 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(10-02-2018, 06:24 PM)Gabe Wrote: I agree with some of those picks. I feel there are some that should be on the list. While there is no definite way to determine the "best" soap, these lists are fun as they stimulate conversation.

Valobra triple milled was left off the list.

+1.

10 3,155
 10-02-2018, 07:19 PM
User Info
(10-02-2018, 06:54 PM)chazt Wrote: I’ve tried three of the “Top 10,” B&M, Mike’s and CRSW. Shannon’s deluxe formula competes nose to nose with all three.

I’ve often heard this. Once I finish up a few more soaps, I’ll nab a Shannon’s

31 1,622
 10-02-2018, 08:58 PM
User Info
I find lists of "top" soaps and razors and brushes to be useless.  What criteria do they use?  How does their criteria match up against my criteria?  Usually not at all.  Sorry, but I'm just in a bad mood.  I apologize for the negativity in advance.  But it's still how I feel.

0 101
 10-02-2018, 09:17 PM
User Info
(10-02-2018, 08:58 PM)MntnMan62 Wrote: I find lists of "top" soaps and razors and brushes to be useless.  What criteria do they use?  How does their criteria match up against my criteria?  Usually not at all.  Sorry, but I'm just in a bad mood.  I apologize for the negativity in advance.  But it's still how I feel.

If you read his article, he actually lays out what criteria he used, as well as a list almost best and soaps that he considers might be among the best once he have more experience with them.

I don't agree with his list - or necessarily his criteria - but at least he tries to be transparent about it.

3 5,816
 10-02-2018, 09:29 PM
User Info
(10-02-2018, 09:17 PM)WegianWarrior Wrote:
(10-02-2018, 08:58 PM)MntnMan62 Wrote: I find lists of "top" soaps and razors and brushes to be useless.  What criteria do they use?  How does their criteria match up against my criteria?  Usually not at all.  Sorry, but I'm just in a bad mood.  I apologize for the negativity in advance.  But it's still how I feel.

If you read his article, he actually lays out what criteria he used, as well as a list almost best and soaps that he considers might be among the best once he have more experience with them.

I don't agree with his list - or necessarily his criteria - but at least he tries to be transparent about it.

I hear you.  My only point was that these kinds of lists are irrelevant for me.  They may be helpful for other people but I don't tend to agree with these kinds of lists for most things, shaving related or otherwise.  I read his article and commend him for his transparency.  But again, my criteria don't match up well with his.

0 101
 10-02-2018, 09:54 PM
User Info
(10-02-2018, 03:38 PM)tubular Wrote: Noticed earlier today they released their Top 10 shaving soaps for 2018. 

In alphabetical order-

Barrister and Mann (“Reserve” base)
Captain’s Choice
Catie’s Bubbles
Cold River Soap Works
Declaration Grooming (“Icarus” base)
DR Harris
Martin de Candre
Mike’s Natural Soaps
Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements
Wholly Kaw (“Donkey Milk” base)

I agree with quite a few choices and some they listed I've never tried but intend to now like DR Harris and Captains Choice.

Not a bad list; I didn't even know Captain's Choice is still around! I won a sample of it years ago and used it, thought it was fine but had a bit of a challenge getting the loading/lather right so I never bought a jar. 
I would say I think Mickey Lee Soapworks should be on the list too (probably instead of PAA in my opinion).

6 1,009
 10-03-2018, 03:57 AM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
These lists are always fun to read.

While we will never agree on our own personal top10, I applaud the author for recognizing some very deserving artisans.

174 1,600
 10-03-2018, 06:31 AM
  • ischiapp
  • Ischia, Naples, Italy
User Info
Top10 of the ones paying advertise by Mark.

What about ...
• Saponificio Varesino
• Eufros
• Calani
... and so on.

0 1,519
 10-03-2018, 06:47 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
(10-03-2018, 06:31 AM)ischiapp Wrote: Top10 of the ones paying advertise by Mark.

What about ...
• Saponificio Varesino
• Eufros
• Calani
... and so on.

If this is the case and the ones recommended were gifted to him in order to make the list( could be true), then that list does not hold much value.

Some of his choices are debatable anyway, but we can't all agree on things like these.

58 2,346
 10-03-2018, 07:36 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(10-02-2018, 07:19 PM)mike_the_kraken Wrote:
(10-02-2018, 06:54 PM)chazt Wrote: I’ve tried three of the “Top 10,” B&M, Mike’s and CRSW. Shannon’s deluxe formula competes nose to nose with all three.

I’ve often heard this. Once I finish up a few more soaps, I’ll nab a Shannon’s

Mike, you will be very pleased.

10 3,155
 10-03-2018, 08:03 AM
User Info
Their opinion. I once went to a place in Texas that was rated the BEST PIZZA in Texas, by Texas Monthly Magazine.....I thought it was NOT that great.
So, I have a different TOP 10, to be honest, mine is the ONLY one that really counts... Cheers

0 860
 10-03-2018, 08:26 AM
User Info

It's not negativity, it's the truth.  To come up with a "top 10" you would have to have sampled all of the available soaps on the market with every skin type.  That seems an impossible task.  What soaps work well for the person who put together the list, won't work for everyone.  That is why shaving (almost more than anything else I enjoy) is a YMMV thing.

0 80
 10-03-2018, 10:32 AM
  • ischiapp
  • Ischia, Naples, Italy
User Info
(10-03-2018, 06:47 AM)nikos.a Wrote: Some of his choices are debatable anyway ...
Specially reading the write-up, in the section honorable mention and keep an eye on.

This year selection creteria are different, not just best ones but ...
Mantic59@Sharpologist (aka Mark Herro) Wrote:So the total considerations now include:
  • Superior performance with both “cushion” and “lubrication” better than most
    (based on my own experience and what I have researched on review sites, blogs, and forums)
  • Ease of lathering using water with a variety of mineral content
    (in other words it works well in both “soft” water and “hard” water).
  • Good post-shave feel on the skin
    (not overly-drying).
  • Available in a variety of scents
    (you won’t use even the best soap if you don’t care for it’s smell) or no scent at all.
  • Artisan’s time in the market.
  • Availability from more than just a single artisan website
    (Amazon, Maggard Razors, West Coast Shaving, Smallflower, Straight Razor Designs, Fendrihan, the new Shave Shack Of Texas, etc.).
  • Price.

0 1,519
 10-03-2018, 02:05 PM
User Info
This type of list is interesting.  However, shaving soap preferences are so inherently subjective that the list should be called "My Ten Favorite Shaving Soaps" rather than the "Ten Best Shaving Soaps."

Looking at the list, I see some soaps I feel belong there, and many I feel don't belong anywhere near there.  

LPL, JabonMan, SV, C&S or Valobra, to name a few examples, don't make either the 10 "best" or 10 "honorable mentions" lists?

53 8,288
 10-03-2018, 04:07 PM
User Info
wholly kaw!!! a total disappointment for me. I could feel the blade dragging whenever i used this shaving soap. Honestly i would never recommend this shaving soap to anyone.

0 4
 10-03-2018, 06:44 PM
User Info
I’ve tried 4 from the list- MdC, Mike’s, CRSW, and Barrister and Mann Reserve.

I’m fortunate to have 4 MdCs and 3 Mike’s. As soon as CRSW releases Sandalwood this fall, it will be added to the den as well.

11 486