10-03-2018, 08:40 PM
User Info
(10-03-2018, 06:31 AM)ischiapp Wrote: Top10 of the ones paying advertise by Mark.

Not true.  There is a "product choice" page where some of the links go to sites Sharpologist has an affiliate relationship with (like Amazon) but the page also links to the brand or artisan home page (and of course you could use your favorite search engine to find alternate sources).  No brand or artisan paid for their inclusion on the list.

(10-03-2018, 06:47 AM)nikos.a Wrote: If this is the case and the ones recommended were gifted to him in order to make the list( could be true), then that list does not hold much value.

I paid for them.

0 53
 10-04-2018, 03:36 AM
User Info
(10-03-2018, 04:07 PM)surileo Wrote: wholly kaw!!! a total disappointment for me. I could feel the blade dragging whenever i used this shaving soap. Honestly i would never recommend this shaving soap to anyone.

This is why "Top 10" list when it comes to shaving gear (both hardware and software) are almost useless.  You were disappointed by Wholly Kaw while I was delighted.  Same soap, different users, different experiences.  99% of the things in this hobby are subjective.  Soaps one user my poo-poo, another user may love.

0 64
 10-04-2018, 07:01 AM
User Info
I don't think Mark is trying to deceive anyone.  I think the list represents soaps that he really likes. 

That doesn't necessarily mean that everyone is going to like them. 

Of the ones I have tried on the list, I agree with many, but I don't feel like DR Harris is all that.   Personally, I think Soapy Science is better than many of those listed. 

I don't think it is even remotely possible that Mark or even a team led by Mark has been able to try and test all the currently available soaps. 

Bottom line?  If you use the list the way it was intended, it's fine.  If you have tried and liked other soaps that Mark that likes, and there are soaps on this list that you haven't tried, you might enjoy them.  If you are a beginner, just looking for a place to start, it might be good to start with something on this list. 

For a guy like me that has been making lather every day since about March of 2009 and has tried a lot of soaps, it is still interesting to see what soaps Mark likes and compare his choices with my own.

3 1,911
 10-04-2018, 07:33 AM
User Info
I don't think that there is any deception in this list.  Just a very subjective list.  Even if a beginner looks at this list and reads the "this soap should be added" or "this soap shouldn't be on the list" they still won't know much.  It can all lead to analysis paralysis.   The best thing to do is jump right in and understand that some of your purchases you will like and others you won't.

0 64
 10-04-2018, 07:57 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
Things have changed a lot. I don't think there's even a list on how many artisans, or so called artisans, actually exist.

When I started in 2012, things were much simpler. I miss these days. No hype, only a few known artisans and we didn't despise using soaps that perform well because of their low price. Yes, that happens too. From what I read on forums, it seems that if you don't spend at least 20 euros on a soap, then it's not worth it.

Traditional wet-shaving has become a fashion. Those we try them all are the "winners".

Shy

57 2,300
 10-04-2018, 09:05 AM
User Info
(10-04-2018, 07:57 AM)nikos.a Wrote: Things have changed a lot. I don't think there's even a list on how many artisans, or so called artisans, actually exist.

When I started in 2012, things were much simpler. I miss these days. No hype, only a few known artisans and we didn't despise using soaps that perform well because of their low price. Yes, that happens too. From what I read on forums, it seems that if you don't spend at least 20 euros on a soap, then it's not worth it.

Traditional wet-shaving has become a fashion. Those we try them all are the "winners".

Shy

I have to admit that this was kinda my mindset early on, but I think part of it was that every artisan soap I looked at was over $20 so I figured they must be good.  I ordered a 3 puck set for $8.99 that they are amazing soaps. Proof that a good soap doesn't have to be expensive.  

0 64
 10-04-2018, 09:24 AM
User Info
I think that there are so many great artisan soap makers out here now that we are actually driving prices down a bit.  To me price does not really speak towards quality.  That said, some of my favorite soaps ARE above the $20/tub mark.

0 327
 10-04-2018, 09:47 PM
User Info
It’s just a list.

His personal Top 10 list.

I respect his choices and so should all.

I agree with 5 brands on his list.

DR Harris for me has great scents, but performance wise they are not even in my personal Top 20. I have owned every single DR Harris cream and soap variant.

25 6,344
 10-05-2018, 03:27 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
Well, it's an opinion,  and my father who was a more cynical man than I had an opinion about opinions. He said it in a humorous fashion and I'll clean it up a little  for public viewing..." opinions are like rear ends, everyone has one and they all stink".

8 2,520
 10-05-2018, 03:38 AM
User Info
(10-04-2018, 09:47 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: It’s just a list.

DR Harris for me has great scents, but performance wise they are not even in my personal Top 20. I have owned every single DR Harris cream and soap variant.

Good post Claus.  Except when you state that Harris won't make your top 20.  I'm just kidding my friend.  Fact is my top 10 don't match his but I agree we all need to respect his choices as Mantic has sure been an all star for wet shaving for a long time.  I'm still learning from him.  And yes, Harris is one of my top ten.

6 320
 10-05-2018, 08:47 AM
User Info
(10-04-2018, 09:47 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: It’s just a list.

I don't like the DR Harris stuff, either.  Not close to sniffing my top 10.

3 1,911
 10-05-2018, 10:15 AM
User Info
Such lists are certainly subjective, but I do think they are useful, especially as a starting point for someone new to the hobby or to someone who hasn't tried one of the brands listed.

These lists get even more useful when you combine them with other research, like someone else's "top x" list, forum chatter, or reviews.  Even though tastes are differ, patterns start to emerge.  You can also give certain opinions more weight than others.  Mark has tried a lot of soaps, so his opinion is one I'd value. If you've liked other soaps he's recommended, chances are that you'd find more than a few you'd also like in his top 10.

0 1,155
 10-05-2018, 12:57 PM
User Info
I think this is a valid and respectable list, but to disagree, because you don't like his choices? Silly. Make your own list.

48 4,627
 10-05-2018, 03:13 PM
User Info
I think the list is useful.  It allows people to identify products that keep making the top 10 of different people.  If a product makes the top 10 list of 80% of the people who put out the lists, then it might be worth trying.

0 353
 10-06-2018, 12:11 PM
User Info
Bad bad people dissing on Harris!  ?  It really works for me.  His 10 aren't mine and trimming to ten would be hard!  Shannon's, mystic waters, Valobra, Stirling etc.  awesome the choices we have.  I appreciate the work that goes into such a list and find them a great jumping off point.

6 320
 10-09-2018, 12:35 PM
User Info
I call shenanigans since Haslinger is not on the list!

But seriously, that's not a bad top ten list. There are some solid choices in there, even if my own list is a bit different.

4 217
 10-09-2018, 05:07 PM
User Info
(10-06-2018, 12:11 PM)Lipripper60 Wrote: Bad bad people dissing on Harris!  ?  It really works for me.  His 10 aren't mine and trimming to ten would be hard!  Shannon's, mystic waters, Valobra, Stirling etc.  awesome the choices we have.  I appreciate the work that goes into such a list and find them a great jumping off point.

I’m not dissing on DR Harris.
It’s a fantastic brand. I respect it highly.

Their shaving soap and cream is just not in my personal Top 20, though perhaps in my Top 25.

25 6,344
 10-15-2018, 02:51 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I liked it in the beginning when I started shaving, we had three choices, Williams, Colgate, or Old Spice.  That was it.  Life has gotten to damn complicated.

180 24,988
 10-15-2018, 06:06 PM
  • bijou
  • Chicago Illinois
User Info
(10-15-2018, 02:51 PM)Johnny Wrote: I liked it in the beginning when I started shaving, we had three choices, Williams, Colgate, or Old Spice.  That was it.  Life has gotten to damn complicated.

Living in NY there were a few other choices, but Johnny you are sooooo right, the choices were so much easier.

54 653