09-10-2012, 05:37 AM
User Info
I was happily lathering up with my new shave mug this morning (I'll post pictures tomorrow), when I heard a small *plink* from the mug. I looked down and my immediate reaction was, "You gotta be kidding me."

I was left holding an empty handle. The knot, which had previously been comfortably ensconced in said handle, had decided to part ways.

And so I turn to you, the gurus of grooming, with a question: What the heck do I do now?

The brush is an Edwin Jagger badger and both the knot and handle are intact. The handle is hollow below the knot, so there's only a small(1.5 cm or so) surface to which the knot can be reattached. The knot is bound by a very thin band of clear plastic.

Should I try to re-glue the brush? If so, what adhesive would you recommend? I'm handy enough with woodworking to make my own handle if need be, which could add surface area for adhering the knot. Would anyone recommend that route or have advice should I decide to make my own?

Any advice would be appreciated.

0 98
 09-10-2012, 05:41 AM
User Info
If the brush is new or a recent acquisition, you should contact your vendor, or Edwin Jagger., for a substitute. EJ's customer service is quite good.

But if you want, or if the brush is not new, you can reattach the knot to the handle with some bi-component epoxy glue (e.g.: Araldite). Remove the old glue, fill the hollow with epoxy (if you want to) and reattach the knot.

2 5,527
 09-10-2012, 05:43 AM
User Info
I should have said how old the brush is. It's coming up on a year and it's my go-to brush, and the first decent one I bought, so it has seen some pretty good use. I've recently been changing up a bit more as my collection grows.

0 98
 09-10-2012, 09:48 AM
User Info
(09-10-2012, 05:41 AM)oversaturn Wrote: If the brush is new or a recent acquisition, you should contact your vendor, or Edwin Jagger., for a substitute. EJ's customer service is quite good.

But if you want, or if the brush is not new, you can reattach the knot to the handle with some bi-component epoxy glue (e.g.: Araldite). Remove the old glue, fill the hollow with epoxy (if you want to) and reattach the knot.

Exactly.

However, I'd still contact EJ about it because even if it is an older purchase, they may be so embarassed about it they'll fix it or replace it for free.

That said, personally I'd just go ahead and glue it back in myself using waterproof epoxy. I don't want to deal with the hassle of returning it when it's such an easy fix.

Shouldn't have happened, but things happen.

9 2,988
 09-10-2012, 07:38 PM
User Info
As Lee and Emanuel have stated, try gluing it with waterproof epoxy. Good luck!

75 20,883
 09-11-2012, 06:13 AM
User Info
I wound up using marine epoxy to glue it back up. Letting it cure now (I hate waiting), and it looks like it will do fine. Thanks for the advice, everyone.

I am working on carving an oak handle should this happen with other brushes. I'll post about that when I finish it. It's all by hand, so it's going to be a while.

0 98