10-16-2018, 08:28 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
(10-09-2018, 07:38 PM)mike_the_kraken Wrote:
(10-09-2018, 08:08 AM)Martini Wrote: How about Mike's Natural.  He still has a loyal fan group, but the big euphoria and the cult are not there anymore.

Mike’s keeps a low profile for sure. He doesn’t engage the big marketing engine, which is what it is. Still, a fantastic, consistent soap. IMO he’s content with the market share he’s developed. One advantage is that he uses the same formula, introduces few new scents, and generally sells out quickly. He’s hit the right balance of demand/production/price.

I enjoy trying and using a lot of different soaps, but I've been using Mike's for at least five years, and it's still the one I keep coming back to. In fact, I have one on deck for tomorrow morning, and just ordered his newest soap. His soaps are like an old friend. I always know what to expect, and can always expect outstanding performance. His scents are nothing to write home about, but I find that most artisan scents that I'm initially attracted to lose their appeal quickly, whereas Mikes are just solid performers all the way around. He doesn't need to keep coming out with version after version of his formulation as soaps keep preforming year after year.

38 5,630
 10-17-2018, 10:33 AM
User Info
It doesn't seem like I've heard much about the plethora of Donkey milk soaps that were all the rage a couple of years back. Good performers in my book, you just don't hear about them much these days.

75 2,408
 10-17-2018, 10:36 AM
User Info
(10-16-2018, 08:28 PM)evnpar Wrote:
(10-09-2018, 07:38 PM)mike_the_kraken Wrote:
(10-09-2018, 08:08 AM)Martini Wrote: How about Mike's Natural.  He still has a loyal fan group, but the big euphoria and the cult are not there anymore.

Mike’s keeps a low profile for sure. He doesn’t engage the big marketing engine, which is what it is. Still, a fantastic, consistent soap. IMO he’s content with the market share he’s developed. One advantage is that he uses the same formula, introduces few new scents, and generally sells out quickly. He’s hit the right balance of demand/production/price.

I enjoy trying and using a lot of different soaps, but I've been using Mike's for at least five years, and it's still the one I keep coming back to. In fact, I have one on deck for tomorrow morning, and just ordered his newest soap. His soaps are like an old friend. I always know what to expect, and can always expect outstanding performance. His scents are nothing to write home about, but I find that most artisan scents that I'm initially attracted to lose their appeal quickly, whereas Mikes are just solid performers all the way around. He doesn't need to keep coming out with version after version of his formulation as soaps keep preforming year after year.

Nice write up Richard.  These are my feelings exactly.  
Mike's is at the top of my heap of soaps.  No matter what else I have tried, Mike's delivers the best experience consistently for me.  Long live Mike's!!

75 2,408
 10-17-2018, 10:53 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(10-17-2018, 10:33 AM)merkur man Wrote: It doesn't seem like I've heard much about the plethora of Donkey milk soaps that were all the rage a couple of years back. Good performers in my book, you just don't hear about them much these days.

Definitely true. SdB no longer makes shaving soap and you don’t hear much about SdM these days.

48 19,842
 10-17-2018, 11:10 AM
User Info
(10-17-2018, 10:53 AM)bullgoose Wrote:
(10-17-2018, 10:33 AM)merkur man Wrote: It doesn't seem like I've heard much about the plethora of Donkey milk soaps that were all the rage a couple of years back. Good performers in my book, you just don't hear about them much these days.

Definitely true. SdB no longer makes shaving soap and you don’t hear much about SdM these days.

I hadn't heard that Phil.  Savonnerie du Bon Berger Cedar & Mandarin is a wonderful soap in my opinion. 

75 2,408
 10-17-2018, 11:50 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Mitchell's Wool Fat. When I joined TSN, it was among the most talked about soaps. Nowadays you can go weeks without seeing a mention of MWF. I finished my second and last puck about two years ago and haven't replaced it yet. Although I'm sure there are exceptions to this, probably other guys have gone in other directions too.

10 3,058
 10-17-2018, 11:54 AM
User Info
Just about every new soap follows this pattern.  It's released and gets a couple good reviews, everyone buys it and a few more good reviews surface before it falls off the map completely.  I think this spawns from the "I might miss out on the next greatest new thing" mentality.

I've taken more of a wait and see approach in buying soaps now.  I'll wait a few months to see if it's getting great reviews and, if so, then I'll definitely consider a purchase.  If I miss something great by waiting too long then so be it.  I'm not worried as I already have some really outstanding soaps.   

As far as some products that have fallen out after years I'd wonder if Simpson Brushes are still as popular as they once were.  

I don't want to bash any small Artisan vendors, but plenty of other products (hardware as well as software) don't have a hold of the market as exclusively as they once did.

0 51
 10-17-2018, 01:08 PM
User Info
I've grown a bit weary of all the new artisan soap and brush makers. I got off the 'need to have' the latest and greatest some time ago. My brush collection while admittedly too large is well filled out with a few choice selections from Simpson, Shavemac and Thater. I've gifted or sold my last remaining artisan brushes along with a huge amount of artisan soap and aftershave splashes, balms and lotions. My remaining interest is in custom straight razors with fancy scales.

As far as soaps go, the only two I have any interest in at all is Mikes and CRSW. Both are top tier excellent performers with great scents. Plus that CRSW Glide base is really, really special!

0 203
 10-17-2018, 03:31 PM
User Info
(10-10-2018, 04:01 AM)Cincinnatus Wrote: I guess the point of marketing is to make us spend our money on the next shiny object or better mousetrap.

The words of Sinclair Lewis come to mind...   (substitute marketing for advertising.)

Advertising is a valuable economic factor

because it is the cheapest way of selling goods, 
particularly if the goods are worthless.

—Sinclair Lewis, Nobel laureate

1 503
 10-18-2018, 05:44 AM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
(10-17-2018, 10:33 AM)merkur man Wrote: It doesn't seem like I've heard much about the plethora of Donkey milk soaps that were all the rage a couple of years back. Good performers in my book, you just don't hear about them much these days.

Wholly Kaw has been extremely popular with his donkey milk soaps.

38 5,630
 10-18-2018, 08:41 AM
User Info
I wonder if some artisan will make soap with water buffalo milk. Not sure of the fat content in donkey milk but water buffalo milk is 10% fat.

0 360
 10-18-2018, 09:03 AM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
(10-18-2018, 08:41 AM)bkatbamna Wrote: I wonder if some artisan will make soap with water buffalo milk. Not sure of the fat content in donkey milk but water buffalo milk is 10% fat.

The newest soap from Wholly Raw contains water buffalo milk.

38 5,630
 10-18-2018, 09:42 AM
User Info
At one time, glycerin based soaps had more of a following.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 163
 10-18-2018, 09:47 AM
User Info
I can't keep up and don't really care to. I've settled on a few favorite companies and really don't feel like I'm missing out.

1 190