10-11-2018, 04:20 PM
User Info
(10-11-2018, 10:55 AM)kingfisher Wrote: For a long time I kept to 5 soaps only, no creams.  And I would not purchase another soap until I used one of them up. 

In the past year or so I have expanded slightly beyond that number, but not by too much.  My son bought me a tub of AoS for Father's Day.  My plan is to use it every Sunday, starting with a GENEROUS amount, until it is gone.  This won't give it time to go bad.  I am probably about 1/4 through it already. 

The soaps beyond 5 I keep in the bottom drawer of my chest of drawers where there is not much temperature variability. 

My plan is to go back to my original intention of keeping only 5 at any time, all soaps, and to buy a new soap only when I use one up.  I don't have anywhere near the variety some of you have, but I never have to worry about a product going back, with or without preservatives.

AOS shaving cream has two preservatives in it so you should be good to keep it around for a bit.

0 354
 10-11-2018, 05:56 PM
User Info
Don't some soaps recommend leaving them open between uses?  

Would shave soaps benefit from curing or drying prior to storage?

1 168
 10-11-2018, 09:41 PM
User Info
(10-11-2018, 05:56 PM)old school Wrote: Don't some soaps recommend leaving them open between uses?  

Would shave soaps benefit from curing or drying prior to storage?

As said and mentioned here, all my Wickhams were new and not used. Not once.

25 6,431
 11-13-2018, 03:19 PM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
So, a few days ago I threw away two very good performing soaps because they smelled horrible. I hadn't used them for some time and when I opened them they looked really strange. I don't want to name them in public, since I had them for about two years, they were American artisan soaps. They were not new products. It is my fault that I have many soaps I don't use often.

I also gave away to friends 8 of my soaps, because I didn't want to have the same fate with the two above. At least some friends here in Greece will enjoy them more than I did.

How wrong is to collect "soft" artisan soaps...

Gents, use and enjoy, don't collect.

58 2,346
 11-13-2018, 03:33 PM
User Info
I recently opened up a tub of Wickhams Super Smooth Bay Rum in the flat container which is even older than the red tub. I think it's from around 2014.

Still smells great and still leathers like a dream. It wasn't stored in any special way, just in a cupboard drawer.

1 95
 11-13-2018, 07:37 PM
User Info
I switched to a minimal approach years ago , nothing wrong with being a minimalist.

83 1,723
 11-13-2018, 08:53 PM
User Info
That is very unfortunate, Claus. 
I don't have any of the Wickham soaps, but I have quite a few pucks of my favourite soap that are eight years old and they still look and smell quite lovely, but they are a tad harder and dehydrated; not much, but it is perceptible.

89 21,229
 11-16-2018, 04:09 AM
User Info
I was contacted by Paul from Connaught Shaving, where I bought all my Wickham soaps. Paul asked if it was ok if he gave my email address to Darron, the Artisan behind Wickham shaving soaps.

To cut a long story short, Darron shipped me 9 of his new shaving soaps to compensate for my problems with the old ones.

I think this is excellent customers service and proof that Darron stand behinds his product and is willing to back it up when/if a customer encounters a problem.

A big thank you to both Paul from Connaught Shaving and Darron from Wickham shaving soaps.

This is a photo of the 9 shaving soaps Darron shipped me free of charge.

[Image: 210c71a896e72011b917711fdf416b2b.jpg]

25 6,431
 11-16-2018, 04:56 AM
User Info
That's good to hear in some ways...…. Aaaaa 
Bad in other ways...…. Mad 
Your collection has GROWN...…. Facepalm

0 860
 11-16-2018, 05:05 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
It's good to see that a vendor and an artisan stand behind the products, even if time has passed. Good for them! At least these two understand the power that the internet and forums have.

As for me, if someone offered me so many soaps, even for free, at the phase I am right now, I'd kindly decline the offer or accept it just to give them to friends. I won't be able to finish what I already have, so collecting, just to say I have them, is a no.

58 2,346
 11-16-2018, 05:55 AM
User Info
(11-16-2018, 04:09 AM)CHSeifert Wrote: This is a photo of the 9 shaving soaps Darron shipped me free of charge.

[Image: 210c71a896e72011b917711fdf416b2b.jpg]

Let us know on the performance and your top pick, scent wise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 1,174
 11-16-2018, 01:05 PM
User Info
(11-16-2018, 05:05 AM)nikos.a Wrote: It's good to see that a vendor and an artisan stand behind the products, even if time has passed. Good for them! At least these two understand the power that the internet and forums have.

As for me, if someone offered me so many soaps, even for free, at the phase I am right now, I'd kindly decline the offer or accept it just to give them to friends. I won't be able to finish what I already have, so collecting, just to say I have them, is a no.

I also no longer collect shaving soaps nor fragrances.
What I have I will use up.

If I could start all over I would settle with 20-25 shaving soaps from my 6-7 favourite shaving soap brands and perhaps 30-40 fragrances

25 6,431
 11-16-2018, 02:32 PM
User Info
(11-16-2018, 04:56 AM)zipper Wrote: That's good to hear in some ways...…. Aaaaa 
Bad in other ways...…. Mad 
Your collection has GROWN...…. Facepalm

Agreed - I'm trying to cut down on the number, but still it's a mighty fine gesture from Wickham shaving soap company (and from Connaught shaving)  Thumbsup

25 6,431
 11-20-2018, 01:44 AM
User Info
Good to see the soaps arrived, please feel free to PIF some if you can't use them all, but please note this issue is very unusual & vast majority of 1912 are not affected, brand new or older stocks.

Please see note from Wickham Soaps below:

Quote:Dear Shave Nook members,

It is my uppermost priority to ensure that all my products are not only tested and made to the highest standards set out by EU cosmetics regulations, but also safe and ensure a pleasurable experience for customers. I swiftly contacted other stockists who I knew were holding dated stock to check them. This returned just one tub with the same problem. Oddly this soap was a batch of 22 and all of the 16 remaining stock sitting on the shelf were unaffected.

For soap to grow mold it will have become contaminated; the PH level of soap is not an environment in which mold starts growing naturally. With this in mind and following the inspection of the one tub found to be suffering from the same problem, and having the batch number, led to the discovery that I had received a split consignment of containers from my packaging supplier. They told me that when a box is split, which is done by their warehouse workers, unfortunately they don’t take any sanitary precautions and use either their bare hands or canvas and suede gloves.

Because I take sanitation very seriously, I have as a result switched packaging suppliers and also put an ordering policy in place so that we only order full, unopened boxes. Also, as an added precaution, all 1912 shave soaps are now pressed with a sterilised food-safe paper acting as a seal. This, and all additives, is added while the soap is above 80°C so that no bacteria can survive and be transferred to the soap.

I am in the process of formulating a new version of the Super Smooth shaving cream and this has a preservative in as a precaution. 1912 will undergo a slight reformulation in the new year which will also see the inclusion of a preservative. Be assured these are precautionary measures, but the risks are just too great when third-party organisations are involved in our manufacturing process. It would be very helpful if any future issues could be directed to me or the retailer first so we can investigate. Could customers also please provide the batch number, photos of the affected product & return the product if possible.

I thank you for your valued custom & I hope everyone continues to enjoy 1912 products.

Best wishes,

Darron Barnes
Wickham Soap Co. Ltd

0 181
 11-20-2018, 04:38 AM
User Info
Outstanding customer service from Paul and Darron.

53 8,292
 11-20-2018, 05:25 AM
User Info
+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 1,174
 11-20-2018, 07:30 AM
User Info
[quote pid='895186' dateline='1542402319']

If I could start all over I would settle with 20-25 shaving soaps from my 6-7 favourite shaving soap brands and perhaps 30-40 fragrances
[/quote]

I love this post.  It starts off by saying that you won't collect soaps or fragrances, and then lists how many you will collect at the end.  Wink

Only enthusiasts think that 30 fragrances and 20 soaps are not a collection. 
I initially went off the deep end and collected a bunch of soaps(more than 20) a bunch of creams(8-10), a bunch of razors(more than 20, some backups of vintage gillettes), and more than 20 brushes.
If I had to do it all over again, I would have 7 soaps, 7 brushes, 7 razors, and 7 creams.  Only have 5 aftershaves and 6 fragrances that I use so no change there.

0 402
 11-20-2018, 07:31 AM
User Info
And great customer service.  Above and beyond.

0 402
 11-20-2018, 08:21 PM
User Info
(11-20-2018, 01:44 AM)PaulM Wrote: Good to see the soaps arrived, please feel free to PIF some if you can't use them all, but please note this issue is very unusual & vast majority of 1912 are not affected, brand new or older stocks.

Please see note from Wickham Soaps below:

Quote:Dear Shave Nook members,

It is my uppermost priority to ensure that all my products are not only tested and made to the highest standards set out by EU cosmetics regulations, but also safe and ensure a pleasurable experience for customers. I swiftly contacted other stockists who I knew were holding dated stock to check them. This returned just one tub with the same problem. Oddly this soap was a batch of 22 and all of the 16 remaining stock sitting on the shelf were unaffected.

For soap to grow mold it will have become contaminated; the PH level of soap is not an environment in which mold starts growing naturally. With this in mind and following the inspection of the one tub found to be suffering from the same problem, and having the batch number, led to the discovery that I had received a split consignment of containers from my packaging supplier. They told me that when a box is split, which is done by their warehouse workers, unfortunately they don’t take any sanitary precautions and use either their bare hands or canvas and suede gloves.

Because I take sanitation very seriously, I have as a result switched packaging suppliers and also put an ordering policy in place so that we only order full, unopened boxes. Also, as an added precaution, all 1912 shave soaps are now pressed with a sterilised food-safe paper acting as a seal. This, and all additives, is added while the soap is above 80°C so that no bacteria can survive and be transferred to the soap.

I am in the process of formulating a new version of the Super Smooth shaving cream and this has a preservative in as a precaution. 1912 will undergo a slight reformulation in the new year which will also see the inclusion of a preservative. Be assured these are precautionary measures, but the risks are just too great when third-party organisations are involved in our manufacturing process. It would be very helpful if any future issues could be directed to me or the retailer first so we can investigate. Could customers also please provide the batch number, photos of the affected product & return the product if possible.

I thank you for your valued custom & I hope everyone continues to enjoy 1912 products.

Best wishes,

Darron Barnes
Wickham Soap Co. Ltd

Thanks Paul.

I just moved most of my soap collection to a new cupboard with extra added space, so I think I intend to keep the Wickhams in my collection as I really enjoy Darron scents. Not too strong yet not too weak. Well balanced.

I’m using Magnum for this afternoon shave.

After all I did pay for all of them originally.

I will post an honest review of the soap.

25 6,431
 11-20-2018, 08:24 PM
User Info
(11-20-2018, 07:30 AM)bkatbamna Wrote: [quote pid='895186' dateline='1542402319']

I love this post.  It starts off by saying that you won't collect soaps or fragrances, and then lists how many you will collect at the end.  Wink

Only enthusiasts think that 30 fragrances and 20 soaps are not a collection. 
I initially went off the deep end and collected a bunch of soaps(more than 20) a bunch of creams(8-10), a bunch of razors(more than 20, some backups of vintage gillettes), and more than 20 brushes.
If I had to do it all over again, I would have 7 soaps, 7 brushes, 7 razors, and 7 creams.  Only have 5 aftershaves and 6 fragrances that I use so no change there.
[/quote]

Agreed. You got me there LOL

So I would limit my collection to a smaller size, if I could start all over again.

Is that more in line with reality ;-)

25 6,431