10-09-2018, 07:22 AM
User Info
Wondering if it is worth myself always using Reverse Osmosis water when lathering.  We have hard water traditionally with a softener as my non-RO option.

3 31
 10-09-2018, 07:33 AM
User Info
I live in hard water area and soap and creams lather as easily as when in a soft water area. Others have said this too. What makes a difference is what brush I use. Synthetics don't work for me. Shaving should not be complicated as some seem to do.

0 127
 10-09-2018, 07:45 AM
  • Garb
  • Oregon
User Info
The most complicated part of the shave is walking into the bathroom without tripping over the dog. LOL

0 252
 10-09-2018, 08:14 AM
User Info
Hey, it’s your Shave. Do whatever you like. No wrong answer here. For me and my hard water I find all soaps can work if I spend time to learn them. Generally the larger issues in hard water are resolved by loading more soap. I do see a difference in my travels with hard vs soft water and I think water from a water softener is plenty good for all soaps and creams I’m aware of

6 321
 10-09-2018, 08:17 AM
User Info
Do you let water sit on the pucks to load more soap, just soak the brush before, or both?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 31
 10-09-2018, 09:15 AM
User Info
I don’t soak the puck with water ever. Lots of guys do and enjoy it. My method works well for me and I assume also takes longer

6 321
 10-09-2018, 09:27 AM
User Info
(10-09-2018, 07:22 AM)Kevinklu Wrote: Wondering if it is worth myself always using Reverse Osmosis water when lathering.  We have hard water traditionally with a softener as my non-RO option.

I've been using RO water for the last two years and the lather is so consistent with each of my 120 soaps.

Even when I travel, I only ever use bottled water to make my lather.

0 108
 10-09-2018, 10:25 AM
User Info
I have very hard water, 17+ grains. I used to find some soaps more difficult to lather, but over time I learned I just need to load more. In that time, I started soaking my brush and using distilled water for lathering.
These days, my concern of hard water now more about damage to my brushes. Hard water ruins EVERYTHING! That’s said, I still soak my brushes in distilled water, and use tap when adding more water. After I rinse the soap thoroughly, I squeeze, and brush lightly a few times on a clean towel, then it’s back into the distilled water while I finish getting ready. When I’m done, I shake and back to the towel in a dry spot. All of my brushes are clean, and never have soap buildup.

8 414
 10-09-2018, 01:20 PM
User Info
I use hard tap water and get fabulous results! However, that being said, whatever works best for you!

I might even get a bottle of RO water to give it a whirl!

Thanks!

Vr

Matt

11 486
 10-09-2018, 01:27 PM
User Info
Didn’t think of the last rinse being in distilled/RO water to take care of the hairs after. Good point

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 31
 10-12-2018, 02:17 PM
User Info
(10-09-2018, 07:33 AM)Roy Wrote: I live in hard water area and soap and creams lather as easily as when in a soft water area. Others have said this too. What makes a difference is what brush I use. Synthetics don't work for me. Shaving should not be complicated as some seem to do.

I can get almost any soap to perform in hard or soft water but hard water requires more loading. I bought my Haslinger in Vienna, and it lathers different at home than in the hotel. Also, I really like synthetics, they work great for me. Funny how there's "no wrong way to eat a Reese's".

6 989
 3 hours ago
User Info
My water is so I hard I broke a razor earlier this week!

Vr

Matt

11 486
 2 hours ago
User Info
I have hard water in Miami, and have tried bottled water in the past.  Now,  I just accept that some soaps will either not lather well here, or require an inordinate amount of time and effort.  I won't go to extraordinary steps to get a soap to work.  If it doesn't lather easily, I move on to the many other options which do.

53 8,132
 2 hours ago
User Info
(2 hours ago)TheLegalRazor Wrote: I have hard water in Miami.  I just accept that some soaps will either not lather well here, or require an inordinate amount of time and effort.  I won't go to extraordinary steps to get a soap to work.  If it doesn't lather easily, I move on to the many other options which do.

Any tips on the easiest lather brands?

3 31
 2 hours ago
User Info
One soap that I reused recently was the Lather Brothers Calle Ocho (might be Ocho Calle), and that lather seems to really explode for me!

It’s smells interesting and nice as well!

I think it is a pretty good, and fairly inexpensive soap!

Vr

Matt

11 486