10-09-2018, 07:56 AM
User Info
Hey everyone,

Wondering the average time it takes to create a good shave lather typically. If it is different face vs bowl if you could clarify that would be awesome! Reason I ask is it seems to take me forever, like minutes and it seems like it should be around 30 seconds or so.

Thanks,
Kevin

3 45
 10-09-2018, 08:02 AM
User Info
So many variables, so little time. Some soaps are thirsty, some are not, some like warm water, others seems to lather better when the water is tepid... side to side, twist or swirl? The motion of your brush in a bowl or on the face means it can vary how much air you get into the lather... ditto with the inner surface of the bowl.

I have to wonder though; why should it only take half a minute?

3 5,829
 10-09-2018, 08:07 AM
User Info
Kevin: I take minutes to make a lather. In fact I’d guess I spend more time with a brush in hand than a razor. I spend more than 30 seconds just loading soap into a brush. To me, a great shave is all about a great lather. I’d never get that in 30 seconds. As far as time per lather goes I’d say it depends on the product. Some just take longer than others but all will take longer than 30 seconds for me. I’m guessing an average around 5 minutes for me whether face or bowl.

6 349
 10-09-2018, 06:47 PM
User Info
If I use a cream, I could possibly craft a nice lather in less than a minute. With a somewhat soft soap, I’ll generally spend 3+ minutes (at least). With a harder soap, say Mike’s, I’ll spend.... a long time. Realistically, I never time myself, but in retrospect I usually spend about 30 minutes total for a 4-pass shave.

I love to face lather, and I am a heavy loader. Creating lather is my favorite part of the shave, and so I take as long as it takes to do it. Smile

31 1,630
 10-09-2018, 06:49 PM
User Info
(10-09-2018, 06:47 PM)mike_the_kraken Wrote: If I use a cream, I could possibly craft a nice lather in less than a minute. With a somewhat soft soap, I’ll generally spend 3+ minutes (at least). With a harder soap, say Mike’s, I’ll spend.... a long time. Realistically, I never time myself, but in retrospect I usually spend about 30 minutes total for a 4-pass shave.

I love to face lather, and I am a heavy loader. Creating lather is my favorite part of the shave, and so I take as long as it takes to do it. Smile
Signs011

50 4,739
 10-10-2018, 02:00 AM
User Info
If in a hurry, I use one of my faster lathering creams like Baume or Esbjerg or St. James. Or even one of my CRSW soaps, which lathers quite fast.

Or I skip the shave altogether.

I prefer to take time to build my lather.
I enjoy to make a thick, moist, volumefull lather when I face lather.

5 years ago I thought I was an expert.
I wasn’t.
Now I think I’m an expert.
I am not.

I still have a lot to learn.

But these days I seem to be able to almost get a perfect lather each time I face lather. Yet I still have much to learn.

I enjoy face lathering and I enjoy spending 3-4-5 minutes to create the perfect looking and feeling lather.
The more thirsty the soap, the more you need to load it with water and build up the lather.

This is why I prefer soaps over creams. Soaps in general gives me a more stable moist lather than creams do. And the lather stays moist for longer.

Take your time to build the lather.
Your skin will thank you.

25 6,438
 10-10-2018, 02:01 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
It depends on the soap.

Cream is much easier to lather.

58 2,346
 10-10-2018, 02:33 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(10-09-2018, 06:49 PM)primotenore Wrote:
(10-09-2018, 06:47 PM)mike_the_kraken Wrote: If I use a cream, I could possibly craft a nice lather in less than a minute. With a somewhat soft soap, I’ll generally spend 3+ minutes (at least). With a harder soap, say Mike’s, I’ll spend.... a long time. Realistically, I never time myself, but in retrospect I usually spend about 30 minutes total for a 4-pass shave.

Signs011

Signs011

10 3,165
 10-14-2018, 04:15 PM
User Info
I would encourage you not to worry about the time it takes, and instead, look for and learn to recognize the attributes you desire to be present in your lather.   I prefer a very hydrated, dense lather that has lots of sheen and almost imperceptible air bubbles.  But, I know a number of others prefer a thin, watery lather with plenty of bubbles.  As everyone has mentioned previously ideal lather takes different amounts of time depending on the product you're using and your lather preferences.  Bottom line: experiment with different types of lather, learn what attributes you prize most and then push any product you use to give you the type of lather you prefer most. Once you figure out the type of lather you like you can make almost any product produce it by varying the soap-to-water ratio.

75 2,417
 10-14-2018, 05:43 PM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
Well said Nathan. I  just work the lather until I reach my ideal consistency paying no attention to how long it takes.

65 5,248
 10-15-2018, 07:36 AM
User Info
I agree that how the lather builds is of more interest than the time it takes. If time is an issue, then that particular soap may not be your choice for that shave. Also, some soaps need more water to build cushion and slickness, while others depending on what your knot is made of, jumps right to it. Slickness is important to me. From loading to face lathering takes me less than 5 minutes on average. Instead of playing in the lather, I chase whiskers, thats why slickness is important.

0 58
 10-15-2018, 08:01 AM
User Info
I agree with others that it takes time to work up a good quality lather and to properly load a brush. I bowl lather so that I can carefully monitor the creation of a nice lather with soft peaks and a nice sheen. I add water slowly until it is the right consistency. Creams are faster because they eliminate the entire step of loading the brush with product. And I also spend much more time with brush in hand than with razor in hand. And if I am super pressed for time canned stuff has improved since my days of using Edge Gel. I recently tried Gillete’s Foam Mousse Barbershop. Nice thick rich and moisturized consistency and it smells great. My son took a can with him for 2 months at sleep away camp this summmer. Although he did comment that it didn’t match up to his TOBS Almond cream. I find building lather to be the most therapeutic part of shaving.

0 102
 10-15-2018, 12:02 PM
User Info
To me, it doesn't matter.  It's all about the outcome.  If it takes a little longer to make lather, that's fine.  There are very few hard and fast rules to shaving.  Take the time to learn your chosen soap and you will be rewarded.

0 80