10-09-2018, 10:50 AM
User Info
I’m venturing a bit into single malt whisky.

What are your favourite brands under $100 ?

So far I’ve tried Oban 14, which I like and Ardbeg 10, which I loved.

Lagavulin 16 is simply too harsh for me. Taste like smoked bacon and 25 cigarettes

The blended whisky are okay, Chivas Royal Salute 21 was nice but a bit bland.

Glenfidfich Single Malt 12 was really harsh and unbalanced and I use this in cocktails like Boulevardiers now.
It’s not drinkable by itself to me.

I consider trying a bottle of 10-12 years from Highland Park, Tallisker, Laphroig and Macallan next.

I’m more into dark rum and gin than whisky, but I need to taste more whisky.

Ardbeg 10 is still the best budget friendly whisky I have tasted.
I’m thinking of going with Ardbeg 18 next time I find a good offer on it.

I bought 12 Glencairn whisky glasses and I prefer whisky with a drop of water or even just one small ice cube in it.

By the way, if you’re into bourbon or rye whisky, feel free to leave a comment here too.
It’s all about whisky.

I’m also exploring Irish whiskey (I believe Irish whiskey is spelled with an e before the y)
To me Irish whiskey taste more smooth and soft than Scottish whisky in general. Some would say more bland. I would call it smooth and soft.

Thanks for reading.

25 6,431
 10-09-2018, 11:03 AM
User Info
Here you go Claus. You better like Peat taste, though.
http://www.laphroaig.com

50 4,728
 10-09-2018, 11:08 AM
User Info
Since you don't like Lagavulin I probably won't have much to suggest to you because that is my absolute favorite.  But I will say this.  When I first started drinking single malt scotches I stuck with the mild ones.  So MacCallan of any vintage will be nice and smooth.  Oban is a nice one.  Balvenie has several that are quite delicious.  Glenmorangie is a nice reasonably prices smooth scotch.  I tried all of those.  When I first tried Lagavulin I had already tried many others and I was suddenly struck by how much character the distinctive flavor brought to my single malt experience.  I kept trying other scotches after trying the Lagavulin and then would buy another bottle and each time I opened a new bottle after drinking others, I found I liked Lagavulin more and more each time.  It has now become my favorite of all the scotches.  I had a bottle of Ardbeg 10 and I couldn't even get a single glass down.  It was absolutely disgusting.  Maybe it was the bottle.  I gave it to my neighbor.  Lagavulin has now come out with an 8 year old as well with a price point below $60 (in NJ) as compared to the normal price point for Lagavulin 16 at around $90.  And I like them both.  I suggest you just try as many different single malts a you can.  And don't trust your palate after just one sampling.  Over time, go back to ones you've tried before.  I found that my taste changed as I kept trying more and more and repeating them.  And as I've said, I have settled on Lagavulin 16 as my favorite.  I actually find it to be quite smooth, with the classic smokiness that is unique to this brand.  I've been drinking scotch now for about 35 years, maybe more.  So just like shaving, scotch is an adventure.  Enjoy the journey.

0 101
 10-09-2018, 11:10 AM
User Info
I don’t partake in scotch often, so take my opinion with that in mind. I’ve had several brands, and of the ones I have tried I quite liked Macallan. I’ve tried the 10, 12, and 18. As you would expect, the lower the number of years it’s aged, the lower the price. I liked the 18 the most, haven’t gotten to try any of the others they offer. By the thoughts you’ve given, I have a good feeling you won’t like Tallisker, it was a bit harsh and like a face plant into a mountain of peat.

8 448
 10-09-2018, 11:21 AM
User Info
It's all about the peat.  Aaaaaahhhhhhhh.  The peat.

0 101
 10-09-2018, 02:43 PM
  • SCOV
  • Minnesota
User Info
Good choices -->  I consider trying a bottle of 10-12 years from Highland Park, Tallisker, Laphroig and Macallan 

(Laphroig would be too peaty based on your comments).

I hope to try Isle of Jura's new offereings soon.  Balvinie Doublewood also a favorite.  I had Springbank a few years ago and recall complex and medium peaty (peated ?)

10-14 years is good balance for depth of flavor and cost.  Some of the 8 year old are just too young.

9 690
 10-09-2018, 02:51 PM
  • Bony
  • New York , USA
User Info
Hi Claus ! Highly recommend for you to try 12 years old Glenmorangie and Macallan any variety. CHEERS!

10 442
 10-09-2018, 02:52 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(10-09-2018, 11:21 AM)MntnMan62 Wrote: It's all about the peat.  Aaaaaahhhhhhhh.  The peat.

haha...nice Seinfeld reference.  Biggrin

48 20,062
 10-09-2018, 02:54 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
I am more of a bourbon and rye whisky drinker as I am not a fan of the peat.

48 20,062
 10-09-2018, 03:30 PM
User Info
I HIGHLY recommend the Aberfeldy 12 and 18 year if you are trying to stay below 100 my friend!

If you want to splurge they have a 21 as well which is also worth the price of admission!

You also can’t go wrong with Macallan 12 or the Balvenie 14 Carribean Cask.

We should also talk about American bourbon in a PM Claus!

Vr

Matt

13 543
 10-09-2018, 10:40 PM
User Info
(10-09-2018, 11:08 AM)MntnMan62 Wrote: Since you don't like Lagavulin I probably won't have much to suggest to you because that is my absolute favorite.  But I will say this.  When I first started drinking single malt scotches I stuck with the mild ones.  So MacCallan of any vintage will be nice and smooth.  Oban is a nice one.  Balvenie has several that are quite delicious.  Glenmorangie is a nice reasonably prices smooth scotch.  I tried all of those.  When I first tried Lagavulin I had already tried many others and I was suddenly struck by how much character the distinctive flavor brought to my single malt experience.  I kept trying other scotches after trying the Lagavulin and then would buy another bottle and each time I opened a new bottle after drinking others, I found I liked Lagavulin more and more each time.  It has now become my favorite of all the scotches.  I had a bottle of Ardbeg 10 and I couldn't even get a single glass down.  It was absolutely disgusting.  Maybe it was the bottle.  I gave it to my neighbor.  Lagavulin has now come out with an 8 year old as well with a price point below $60 (in NJ) as compared to the normal price point for Lagavulin 16 at around $90.  And I like them both.  I suggest you just try as many different single malts a you can.  And don't trust your palate after just one sampling.  Over time, go back to ones you've tried before.  I found that my taste changed as I kept trying more and more and repeating them.  And as I've said, I have settled on Lagavulin 16 as my favorite.  I actually find it to be quite smooth, with the classic smokiness that is unique to this brand.  I've been drinking scotch now for about 35 years, maybe more.  So just like shaving, scotch is an adventure.  Enjoy the journey.

My brother and father both have a bottle of Lagavulin 16 years and I have been drinking a glass occasionally with them over a period of 1-2 years now, both bottles are still almost 25% full, so I guess this means it’s a acquired taste, not just to me

I would not buy a full bottle of it.

My preference for a bit of smoke would be more towards Oban and Ardbeg.
I think all 3 are Islay Whisky’s, but Lagavulin 16 really is an acquired taste.

25 6,431
 10-09-2018, 10:56 PM
User Info
(10-09-2018, 03:30 PM)Ols67 Wrote: I HIGHLY recommend the Aberfeldy 12 and 18 year if you are trying to stay below 100 my friend!

If you want to splurge they have a 21 as well which is also worth the price of admission!

You also can’t go wrong with Macallan 12 or the Balvenie 14 Carribean Cask.

We should also talk about American bourbon in a PM Claus!

Vr

Matt

Feel free to go OT in this thread, Matt.
Unless moderators feel it is inappropriate, I as the OP and topic starter will feel it’s okay to address bourbon here too. To my knowledge bourbon is considered a whisky, not single malt Scottish, but still whisky.

I already use Four Roses SB, Wild Turkey 101 and Markers Mark for one of my favourite drinks/cocktails; The Boulevardier.

Do you prefer rye over bourbon by the way, or both ??

25 6,431
 10-10-2018, 03:40 AM
User Info
I like both regular and rye bourbons, and it depends on what mood strikes me...kind of like the difference between soap and creams!

There are so many good bourbons now that it would be a shame to limit oneself to one or two. However, I really like Bookers Bourbon (don’t let the high proof scare you...each batch is ridiculously smooth and equally good!); Knob Creek Rye; and Blantons!

Those are my top three...sort of like my top three soaps and creams are MDC, ABC, and SMN! Honorable mentions have to go to Hemingway and Baume.be!

Enjoy!

Vr

Matt

13 543
 10-10-2018, 05:10 AM
  • DannyZ
  • Harker Heights, TX
User Info
Claus, I discovered dark and aged rums while living in Italy and I haven't looked back.  I also love bourbon.  Blanton's, Buffalo Trace, and 1792 are my current favorites.  As Matt said, there are many good bourbons now and most of them can be had for $50 or less.  (at least in Texas)

1 88
 10-10-2018, 08:53 AM
User Info
(10-10-2018, 05:10 AM)DannyZ Wrote: Claus, I discovered dark and aged rums while living in Italy and I haven't looked back.  I also love bourbon.  Blanton's, Buffalo Trace, and 1792 are my current favorites.  As Matt said, there are many good bourbons now and most of them can be had for $50 or less.  (at least in Texas)

As soon as I was advised to try a good dark rum, my interest for whisky stagnated. This was 6-7 years ago now.

My 3 preferred budget dark rum and these currently are residing in my cupboard are Diplomatico Reserve, Zarcapa 23 years and Havana Club selección de maestros.
These all cost roughly the same in Denmark.

Dark rum is my clear preference over whisky, I must admit.

Whisky has this unique woody taste, but dark rum is just easy for me to like.

25 6,431
 10-10-2018, 12:00 PM
User Info
You want to talk Rye? OK!
2016 Whiskey of the Year happens to also be a Rye. My favorite and combined with Giuseppe Carpano Vermouth makes the ULTIMATE Manhattan Cocktail. Mic drop.

[Image: rZ6G0e2.jpg]
[Image: wy8dtAC.jpg]

50 4,728
 10-10-2018, 12:02 PM
User Info
P.S....
Don't forget these:  Biggrin
[Image: EpKJzKa.jpg]

50 4,728
 10-10-2018, 12:11 PM
User Info
being an avid Bourbon drinker from the great state of KY where most are made, I really like the Jim Beam small batch bourbons like Basil Haydens and Knob Creek. You also can't go wrong with Bulleit or Woodford Reserve and can never be too good to try Jim Beam Black Label 7 or 8 year.

My only problem since moving to Germany is no longer being able to get a wide variety of bourbons at almost any local liquor store. I treasure my visits to family back home in Kentucky and the mouth watering selections available.

42 345
 10-10-2018, 12:28 PM
User Info
(10-09-2018, 02:52 PM)bullgoose Wrote:
(10-09-2018, 11:21 AM)MntnMan62 Wrote: It's all about the peat.  Aaaaaahhhhhhhh.  The peat.

haha...nice Seinfeld reference.  Biggrin

I’m just glad someone got it. I still watch that silly show several times a week.

0 101
 10-10-2018, 12:39 PM
User Info
(10-10-2018, 08:53 AM)CHSeifert Wrote:
(10-10-2018, 05:10 AM)DannyZ Wrote: Claus, I discovered dark and aged rums while living in Italy and I haven't looked back.  I also love bourbon.  Blanton's, Buffalo Trace, and 1792 are my current favorites.  As Matt said, there are many good bourbons now and most of them can be had for $50 or less.  (at least in Texas)

As soon as I was advised to try a good dark rum, my interest for whisky stagnated. This was 6-7 years ago now.

My 3 preferred budget dark rum and these currently are residing in my cupboard are Diplomatico Reserve, Zarcapa 23 years and Havana Club selección de maestros.
These all cost roughly the same in Denmark.

Dark rum is my clear preference over whisky, I must admit.

Whisky has this unique woody taste, but dark rum is just easy for me to like.

Another fan of dark runs here. I also like the Zacapa. Not mentioned and my current favorite is El Dorado 15. They have a 12 but the 15 is noticeably smoother. I drink my rum like I drink my Lagavulin...neat or one cube. The only difference is I only drink the rum when it is hot out. Once cooler weather sets in I move to scotch and whiskey or bourbon. And as for those, no one has mentioned my favorite, Clyde May’s Alabama Whiskey. They also make a bourbon that I am quite fond of. I also drink vodka and gin year round, usually in the form a Vesper martini. 3 parts Bombay Sapphire gin, 1 part Ketel One vodka and 1/2 part Lillet. Properly chilled they are delicious, shaken, not stirred. And they creep up on you quite fast.

0 101