11-06-2018, 03:59 AM
User Info
(11-05-2018, 02:45 PM)CHSeifert Wrote:
(11-05-2018, 04:54 AM)primotenore Wrote:
(11-02-2018, 02:06 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: Anyone besides me having trouble with Ardbeg 10, Laphroaig Quarter Cask and Lagavulin 16 ?

I really like their peaty smoky scent and complex taste. I love it.
But as a non smoker for 20+ years, I get an annoying after taste for 3-4-5 hours after drinking them. Can’t even brush my teeth to get past it.
Reminds me of 25 years ago in my late teens when I smoked Camel for 2-3 months, but had to stop because the after taste annoyed me so much.

I get the exact same reaction when drinking the 3 Islay whisky’s.
Almost makes me want to skip them.
Love the taste and scent, but hate the 4-5 hours long gross cigaret smoke aftertaste in my throat.
Claus,
I would start by adding a 1/2 teaspoon of chilled water to a dram of the Laphroaig Quarter Cask. 

I will try that, thanks for the tip !
You're welcome Claus. I would venture to say that many Scotch drinkers dilute the product. It does not become "watered down", but rather the bite of the alcohol is reduced; subtly altering the flavor profile.

48 4,682
 11-09-2018, 03:22 AM
User Info
Laphroaig Quarter Cask (referred to as QC from now on)

I bought this over the regular 10 years based on recommendations even this is my only NAS Single Malt in my collection.

This QC is a stronger more complex version of the 10 year old. It’s 48% versus 40% of the 10 years.
So the QC is quite a mouthful with its 48% and I get an intense flavour of wood and peat in the beginning.
It stays true to this in the mid but evolved into an even more intense taste.

I don’t like drops of water added to all my whisky, but this 48% QC definitely becomes better and more rounded by adding quarter of a teaspoon of water to a glass of it.

Even just 2-3 drops of water makes it more rounded.

I feel the QC taste more matured than the 10 year old even though most in the know states the QC is probably 6-8 year old but NAS. The maturing in the smaller casks makes the QC mature much faster and it really is thing of beauty, once you add drops of water to it.
The QC is a brutal woody peaty whisky, but with added drops of water it evolves into an elegant single malt whisky.

I rate this on the same high level as Lagavulin 16 and Ardbeg 10.

My rating: 9.5/10

25 6,390
 11-09-2018, 05:34 AM
User Info
(11-09-2018, 03:22 AM)CHSeifert Wrote: Laphroaig Quarter Cask (referred to as QC from now on)

I bought this over the regular 10 years based on recommendations even this is my only NAS Single Malt in my collection.

This QC is a stronger more complex version of the 10 year old. It’s 48% versus 40% of the 10 years.
So the QC is quite a mouthful with its 48% and I get an intense flavour of wood and peat in the beginning.
It stays true to this in the mid but evolved into an even more intense taste.

I don’t like drops of water added to all my whisky, but this 48% QC definitely becomes better and more rounded by adding quarter of a teaspoon of water to a glass of it.

Even just 2-3 drops of water makes it more rounded.

I feel the QC taste more matured than the 10 year old even though most in the know states the QC is probably 6-8 year old but NAS. The maturing in the smaller casks makes the QC mature much faster and it really is thing of beauty, once you add drops of water to it.
The QC is a brutal woody peaty whisky, but with added drops of water it evolves into an elegant single malt whisky.

I rate this on the same high level as Lagavulin 16 and Ardbeg 10.

My rating: 9.5/10
Thumbsup

48 4,682
 11-09-2018, 04:28 PM
User Info
(11-04-2018, 01:33 AM)CHSeifert Wrote:
(11-03-2018, 05:56 PM)Niemander Wrote:
(11-02-2018, 02:06 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: Anyone besides me having trouble with Ardbeg 10, Laphroaig Quarter Cask and Lagavulin 16 ?

I really like their peaty smoky scent and complex taste. I love it.
But as a non smoker for 20+ years, I get an annoying after taste for 3-4-5 hours after drinking them. Can’t even brush my teeth to get past it.
Reminds me of 25 years ago in my late teens when I smoked Camel for 2-3 months, but had to stop because the after taste annoyed me so much.

I get the exact same reaction when drinking the 3 Islay whisky’s.
Almost makes me want to skip them.
Love the taste and scent, but hate the 4-5 hours long gross cigaret smoke aftertaste in my throat.

That's quite odd - and unfortunate.  I am an avid Islay malt lover - Lagavulin 16 outranking all others by miles.  I've had the Ardbegs, Laphroigs, Obans, Bowmores, Taliskers... and a couple others I can't spell Smile .   I've been drinking the Islays for years, almost exclusively - and I've never experienced the aftertaste you're describing.  

I hope what you're experiencing is just temporary.

May I ask if you’re a smoker ?

No, I'm not - save perhaps for an occasional cigar.  That might be your issue, though I'm not sure why it'd be only the [Islay] scotch that brings out that aftertaste.  Sad

0 450