10-19-2018, 08:08 AM
User Info
(10-19-2018, 07:47 AM)Sliver630 Wrote:
(10-19-2018, 07:31 AM)CHSeifert Wrote:
(10-19-2018, 06:14 AM)Sliver630 Wrote: Glenfiddich 12yr single malt is about as smooth as it gets. The 15yr is smoother but not worth the higher price point IMHO. No mixing for me, just a little club.

I don't know if it's sold in Europe, but Uncle Nearest sour mash is worth trying if smooth whisky is your desire. Oh, and don't forget the cigars - dipping is acceptable.

I actually retired my newly bought Glenfidfich 12 year Single Malt to a cocktail whisky.

I was quite disappointed over how sharp and unbalanced I found it to taste neat or with a drop of water.

Same reaction I had with a Johnnie Walker 12 year Blend. So bland & boring, that I prefer it in whisky cocktails.
"I actually retired my newly bought Glenfidfich 12 year Single Malt to a cocktail whisky."

I wish you would have retired it to me!  

It just shows how taste buds are different and also how a person can go through phases and changes in life, that affect the taste buds.

I used to be a fan of Lagavulin 16 years, but after having had a serious case of pneumonia, my taste buds changed.

Lagavulin 16 now tasted harsh, smoky and brutal to me.

But I gave it a new chance last week, tasting it neat and with a few drops of water in my new Glenncairn whisky glasses and thoroughly enjoyed the dram.

Never say never. Especially with whisky

Glenfiddich 12 years seemed a bit tame to me and not as smooth as I would have expected it to be. I also owned a bottle of the 15 years old last year.
For some reason it didn’t impress me either.

Me and my weird taste buds

25 6,352
 10-19-2018, 08:15 AM
User Info
(10-19-2018, 08:08 AM)CHSeifert Wrote:
(10-19-2018, 07:31 AM)CHSeifert Wrote: I actually retired my newly bought Glenfidfich 12 year Single Malt to a cocktail whisky.

I was quite disappointed over how sharp and unbalanced I found it to taste neat or with a drop of water.

Same reaction I had with a Johnnie Walker 12 year Blend. So bland & boring, that I prefer it in whisky cocktails.
"I actually retired my newly bought Glenfidfich 12 year Single Malt to a cocktail whisky."

It just shows how taste buds are different and also how a person can go through phases and changes in life, that affect the taste buds.

I used to be a fan of Lagavulin 16 years, but after having had a serious case of pneumonia, my taste buds changed.

But I gave it a new chance last week, tasting it neat and with a few drops of water in my new Glenncairn whisky glasses and thoroughly enjoyed the dram.

Glenfiddich 12 years seemed a bit tame to me and not as smooth as I would have expected it to be. I also owned a bottle of the 15 years old last year.

I wouldn't say your taste buds are weird.  Like you said, they change, constantly.  I'm guessing whatever effect on your taste buds the pneumonia had, it has worn off and you are back to your old self.  Thankfully you can once again enjoy the amazing Lagavulin.  I know what you mean about the Glenfiddich as I also find it fairly ordinary.  Especially compared to Lagavulin.  Have you tried the Lagavulin 8?  It just came out about a year or so ago.  It has a similar character as the 16 but somewhat toned down.  It's smokey and peaty like the 16, only less so.  And it comes at a roughly $30 discount to the 16.

0 70
 10-19-2018, 08:21 AM
User Info
(10-19-2018, 07:31 AM)CHSeifert Wrote: I actually retired my newly bought Glenfidfich 12 year Single Malt to a cocktail whisky.

Your right, life does change and we will change with it. Good liquor however will never change, only one's taste.

0 32
 10-19-2018, 03:00 PM
User Info
(10-19-2018, 08:15 AM)MntnMan62 Wrote:
(10-19-2018, 07:47 AM)Sliver630 Wrote: "I actually retired my newly bought Glenfidfich 12 year Single Malt to a cocktail whisky."

I wouldn't say your taste buds are weird.  Like you said, they change, constantly.  I'm guessing whatever effect on your taste buds the pneumonia had, it has worn off and you are back to your old self.  Thankfully you can once again enjoy the amazing Lagavulin.  I know what you mean about the Glenfiddich as I also find it fairly ordinary.  Especially compared to Lagavulin.  Have you tried the Lagavulin 8?  It just came out about a year or so ago.  It has a similar character as the 16 but somewhat toned down.  It's smokey and peaty like the 16, only less so.  And it comes at a roughly $30 discount to the 16.

I haven' had a chance to taste the Lagavulin 8 nor 12 years.

But sound like I must find this version of the Lagavulin and give it a try !!

25 6,352
 10-19-2018, 07:57 PM
User Info
(10-19-2018, 03:00 PM)CHSeifert Wrote:
(10-19-2018, 08:15 AM)MntnMan62 Wrote:
(10-19-2018, 08:08 AM)CHSeifert Wrote: It just shows how taste buds are different and also how a person can go through phases and changes in life, that affect the taste buds.

Ah, the 12 year.  I have not tried this limited edition.  With prices at around $140 I think I'll pass on it.  But, if I can close a deal that throws off a nice commission, then I might splurge for it.  I have tried their Distiller's Edition as well as a Cask Strength version.  And strangely enough I prefer the original 16 year.  I have a bottle of the Distiller's Edition (a gift) in my basement along with an extra 16 and 8.  I always like to have a deep bench when it comes to important things like my favorite brand of scotch.

0 70
 Yesterday, 12:57 AM
User Info
(10-19-2018, 07:57 PM)MntnMan62 Wrote:
(10-19-2018, 03:00 PM)CHSeifert Wrote:
(10-19-2018, 08:15 AM)MntnMan62 Wrote: I wouldn't say your taste buds are weird.  Like you said, they change, constantly.  I'm guessing whatever effect on your taste buds the pneumonia had, it has worn off and you are back to your old self.  Thankfully you can once again enjoy the amazing Lagavulin.  I know what you mean about the Glenfiddich as I also find it fairly ordinary.  Especially compared to Lagavulin.  Have you tried the Lagavulin 8?  It just came out about a year or so ago.  It has a similar character as the 16 but somewhat toned down.  It's smokey and peaty like the 16, only less so.  And it comes at a roughly $30 discount to the 16.

Ah, the 12 year.  I have not tried this limited edition.  With prices at around $140 I think I'll pass on it.  But, if I can close a deal that throws off a nice commission, then I might splurge for it.  I have tried their Distiller's Edition as well as a Cask Strength version.  And strangely enough I prefer the original 16 year.  I have a bottle of the Distiller's Edition (a gift) in my basement along with an extra 16 and 8.  I always like to have a deep bench when it comes to important things like my favorite brand of scotch.

This is weird.

The Lagavulin 8 year is 20-25% more expensive than the 16 year in Denmark. The 12 year is FAR more expensive.

I’m sticking with the cheap goat 16 years Lagavulin

25 6,352
 Yesterday, 12:39 PM
User Info
(10-18-2018, 04:38 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: Made a few changes to my order:

Laphroaig Quarter Cask, which to me was a better more rounded version of Laphroaig 10 years
Highland Park 12 years
Ardbeg 10 years
Talisker 10 years
Cragganmore 12 years
Absolutely their BEST. My favorite too, Claus.

48 4,634
 Yesterday, 01:05 PM
User Info
(Yesterday, 12:39 PM)primotenore Wrote:
(10-18-2018, 04:38 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: Made a few changes to my order:

Laphroaig Quarter Cask, which to me was a better more rounded version of Laphroaig 10 years
Highland Park 12 years
Ardbeg 10 years
Talisker 10 years
Cragganmore 12 years
Absolutely their BEST. My favorite too, Claus.

Looking forward to getting my bottle and drinking a dram or two of it next week.

I'm looking for a good price on the Lagavulin 16 years - best price here in Denmark is around $60.

25 6,352
 Yesterday, 01:19 PM
User Info
How do you guys store your whisky ?

I have mine in a closed cupboard in the kitchen and not out in the open on a bar table.

Also what do you guys do, when your bottles are getting more than 50% empty (other than the obvious - drinking it) ?

I have heard the younger than 15 years whisky will suffer from the oxygene exposure, once the bottle gets more than 50% empty.

A solution I heard was to decant the content into a smaller bottle.

25 6,352
 Yesterday, 10:23 PM
User Info
Wow.  $60 for Lagavulin 16 is a steal.  I'm jealous.  The 8 costs me $55.  As for storing I just have it out on a bar in our dining room along with all the rest of the stuff we drink somewhat regularly.  And i don't decant anything.  As it gets down towards the bottom of the bottle it reminds me to go down into the basement to make sure I have a backup ready to go.  Right now I have 16 and 8 on the bar and each is about half full.  I have full bottles of each in the basement as well along with a Distiller's Edition that someone gave me as a gift.  So I'm good with Lagavulin and it should take me well into the winter.

0 70