10-11-2018, 08:00 AM
User Info
Hi,

Long time reader, but haven’t posted in some time, so please forgive my lack of participation... I’ve been using a Merkur 33C exclusively for a number of years now - I have a relatively light beard and rather sensitive skin. I’ve tried a number of other razors, three piece and TTO, vintage and modern, and even a shavette, but had not found anything as comfortable as the 33C. The reason for that experimentation has been that while the Merkur is comfortable, it’s not that efficient, requiring several passes and and a lot of buffing, which would occasionally result in a weeper or two. I would eventually achieve a DFS, but it took time. So I’ve kept looking. I recently purchased a Fatip Testina Gentile, based on reviews and the fact that it’s said to be all brass construction - I always hated the fact that the Merkurs seem to begin corroding within a few months of daily use. Anyway, I’ve used the Fatip twice so far, and while a bit more aggressive than the Merkur (though not uncomfortably so) the shave is unbelievable - near BBS in two passes... I don’t see Fatip getting a whole lot of attention on the forums - is there a reason for that, aside from the QC issues that have been noted?

Joe

0 19
 10-11-2018, 11:00 AM
User Info
Not really.  A lot of people probably own and use one.  The open comb version gets a lot more press because it is more aggressive. 

I have the Gentile and I like everything about it except for the handle.  And it has odd threads that don't allow me to use my UFO handles, so it's kind of annoying that way.  Good shaver, though.

3 1,936
 10-13-2018, 10:19 AM
User Info
There have been comments about the blade alignment being tricky, but having seen a video, I cannot see that thus should be anything but perfect.

0 140
 10-13-2018, 07:28 PM
  • Garb
  • Oregon
User Info
I'd not even heard of this razor until today and now I see a post on them. They look reasonably priced as well.

0 344
 10-15-2018, 09:16 AM
User Info
I think the reason there isn't a lot of buzz in the forums about Fatip razors generally is that they are a known commodity, so there's not much new to be said.  But my impression is that they are very highly regarded, particularly for the price point but even independent of price.  I like my Fatip Grande very much.  I had a Fatip Gentile that I thought was an excellent mild razor, but I decided it was a wee bit too mild for my beard, so I passed it along.  I'm glad you like your Fatip; it shows good taste.

19 309
 11-17-2018, 08:06 AM
  • J 5
  • Ex-Lurker
User Info
For those that love Fatips or want to try one, Italian Barber has a Black Friday sale for some between $14-20, just FYI

0 3
 11-18-2018, 12:10 PM
User Info
(11-17-2018, 08:06 AM)J 5 Wrote: For those that love Fatips or want to try one, Italian Barber has a Black Friday sale for some between $14-20, just FYI

Thanks Just ordered one

17 332
 12-06-2018, 07:11 PM
User Info
Just got my Gentile in from Italian Barber. The shave is very very smooth mild and yet efficient. I really like it! For $18 bucks it shaves better than some high-end razors that I have!

0 52