10-11-2018, 11:02 AM
User Info
Just to revisit a classic, I am wondering whether anybody still owns/uses the Pils? 

There was a lot of commotion about these a number of years ago.  As I recall, the razor seemed to be fairly polarizing, with some people praising it as the best razor they'd ever tried and others saying it was too mild, or they couldn't get the hang of the angle, or they didn't like the balance. 

So, anybody still have a Pils? 

If so, is it still in the rotation? 

Is it a heavy hitter in the rotation for anybody? 

If so, what is it you like about it? 

Finally, if you tried a Pils and jettisoned it, please explain why you decided to get rid of it.

Thanks in advance.

3 1,911
 10-11-2018, 11:40 AM
User Info
Still have and love mine.  
They are very mild but are also very capable of giving you a close, smooth, beautiful shave. It took me a couple of weeks of daily use to really figure out the angle (slow learner I guess!).  The overall balance and handle are completely different than any other razor I've ever tried. These tend to be the reasons people cite when they explain the things they don't care for.  And I have to say, I agree, they are weird elements, but not too hard to adjust to, especially when the shave delivered is so nice. 
I think people these days, particularly in this hobby, jump so quickly from thing-to-thing that they pass over some really great stuff because it didn't work for them the first couple of times they tried it out.  In my opinion everyone needs to sample a PILS.

75 2,408
 10-11-2018, 11:41 AM
User Info
I have a Pils 101NL (Polished finish). Still in my rotation of about 15 razors. Absolutely love it. It’s definitely on the mild side but with a feather blade it definitely Sings. It excels as a daily driver. What’s important is maintaining the correct angle. My only complaint would be the thin handle in comparison to the heavier head. This creates a bit of an awkward balance. The fit and finish is impeccable. I modified the handle slightly by adding a shrink wrap and a few o rings on either side. I found it helped tremendously with better grip and maneuverability. Plus it looks great in it’s tall stand that also accepts a brush.  For me it’ll always be a keeper

[Image: tp93oFC.jpg]

39 313
 10-11-2018, 11:58 AM
  • motto
  • Copenhagen, Denmark
User Info
Have a Pils 101NE and it is part of my rotation. Agree with the other gents here that it is definitely on the mild side but with the right angle it is an efficent shaving tool. I switch between the stock handle and two custom handles which give the Pils a complete different balance. One is a modified Ikon OCC handle by Triad and the other is a custom handle from Brian at Charcoal Goods with a hammered pattern.
Just love my Pils.

Marco

9 342
 10-11-2018, 12:05 PM
  • SCOV
  • Minnesota
User Info
I received a Pils in trade about 9 shaves ago.  I used the Pils for 5-6 straight days upon arrival.  My only sub-par shave was my 6th or 7th use of the same Med Prep blade. 

In theory, longer and heavier than I normally like (I ️ titanium).  However, so well balanced they quickly became non-issues.  Quality was not Wolfman, however,  would rank as excellent.

In terms of shaving, very mild and efficient.  Little blade feel or audible feedback, however, results were clean close shave.  I am partially guessing my technique may be a very good match for the Pils.  I need to watch some video's on shaving with the Pils - I made no adjustments so far for the Pils.  The post shave skin feel was "nil" - no idea I even shaved  - no irratition, no rash, no nicks, no rough feel like on aggressive razor.  Good daily shaver.

Only minor complaint is large razor head and thus under the nose requires some extra effort.  

There are much more advanced shavers out there with possibly better opinions.  I will say the comments on forums recently are more favorable than a year ago.

9 673
 10-11-2018, 03:17 PM
User Info
Owned 1 for years but we grew apart and I sold it on BST. The razor is very well made, great balance and feel, easy to load and unload the blade. I found, imho, the shave less aggressive than the Feather AS-D2. Hard to get a really really close shave, imho. ymmv.

55 1,275
 10-11-2018, 04:00 PM
User Info
(10-11-2018, 11:58 AM)motto Wrote: One is a modified Ikon OCC handle by Triad and the other is a custom handle from Brian at Charcoal Goods with a hammered pattern.
Just love my Pils.

Marco

Can you post pictures of your razors? I'm definitely interested in seeing the CG handle on the Pils.

Below are my PILSes, one with a stock handle and one with a Triad Aristocrat style handle. I especially love the Triad handle'd one since it gives it much better grip and balance. It's definitely a daily driver for me.

I find it a bit strange that some people say it is milder than the AS-D2. I had an AS-D2 before and I agree that it is too mild. I found myself having to buff to get a decent shave with the Feather. However, I find the Pils to be the sweet spot of mild and efficient. I get excellent shaves with it and I find it more efficient than much more aggressive razors.

[Image: ade4ExY.jpg]

5 95
 10-11-2018, 09:56 PM
  • motto
  • Copenhagen, Denmark
User Info
The Triad Aristocrate handle is stunning.

Here pictures of my Pils with custom handles,
[Image: A1-D09-B1-D-5-F34-4948-B222-A7-ACAD40700-D.jpg]

[Image: E71-DCBF5-45-CC-4126-8-CF1-517185362-A2-A.jpg]

Regards
Marco

9 342
 10-12-2018, 06:50 AM
  • kbh2o
  • Ohio
User Info
i had 2 of these and sold and/or traded both.  the shave was okay but the weight a little bit heavy and the handle was a tad too thin in diameter but really slippery.  i had the pils 101N and loved the brushed stainless steel.  i was wishing and hoping that this one would have been the one, but it wasn't.  i was happy to have tried it.   brian

46 48
 10-13-2018, 03:36 AM
User Info
[Image: af09902349b9f2b2d8d3f8348d0545ec.jpg]

If I had to restrict myself to just one razor, the Pils would possibly be the winner.
I like it best with Polsilver blades.
I had tried rubber o rings around the handle, but it is more fun withoutSmile

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

0 136
 10-13-2018, 05:40 AM
User Info
I sold mine, is beautiful but I prefer mild razors more efective.

8 1,846
 10-13-2018, 08:00 AM
User Info
(10-13-2018, 03:36 AM)apogee. Wrote: [Image: af09902349b9f2b2d8d3f8348d0545ec.jpg]

If I had to restrict myself to just one razor, the Pils would possibly be the winner.
I like it best with Polsilver blades.
I had tried rubber o rings around the handle, but it is more fun withoutSmile

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

Nice. I use mine with Polsilvers, too.

3 1,911