10-11-2018, 11:14 AM
  • AK47
User Info
Hi does anyone know how Williams mug soap smell and perform?

0 11
 10-11-2018, 11:35 AM
User Info
A topic that springs eternal...and that gets polarized responses.

Some liken the smell to citronella, others to plain old bar soap...others to urinal cakes.

Some get nice creamy lather and swear by its slickness...others say it provides nothing but thin disappearing lather.

Personally, I'm a fan.

10 1,040
 10-11-2018, 11:38 AM
  • AK47
User Info
(10-11-2018, 11:35 AM)Rory1262 Wrote: A topic that springs eternal...and that gets polarized responses.

Some liken the smell to citronella, others to plain old bar soap...others to urinal cakes.

Some get nice creamy lather and swear by its slickness...others say it provides nothing but thin disappearing lather.

Personally, I'm a fan.

Urinal puck? So it smells like arko?

Huh

0 11
 10-11-2018, 12:48 PM
User Info
(10-11-2018, 11:38 AM)AK47 Wrote:
(10-11-2018, 11:35 AM)Rory1262 Wrote: A topic that springs eternal...and that gets polarized responses.

Personally, I'm a fan.

Urinal puck? So it smells like arko?

Huh
Absolutely not.

48 4,627
 10-11-2018, 01:39 PM
User Info
I used a puck as bath soap once. Did decent.

154 3,740
 10-11-2018, 03:32 PM
  • Nero
  • No Waxation Without Representation
  • Lanolin-Free or Die
User Info
How has this forum dodged this kind of thread for so long??? Wink

82 3,405
 10-11-2018, 06:35 PM
User Info
I tried it years (er... decades, & definitely pre-Internet) ago in a naive attempt to try wet shaving before I knew anything about wet shaving.  I bought a coffee mug, a cheap straight razor, a cheaper brush, and a puck of Williams.  Its failure wasn't so much the soap as my ignorance and inexperience.

That said, I think Williams (and Bigelow, the rebranded Proraso from Bath & Body Works) are about the only soaps one can purchase these days without using the Internet.

It's cheap, it's readily available, and it [arguably] works so.... in a pinch, I'd use it.   But when so many vastly superior soaps / creams / croaps exist out there, the only reason I would use Williams would be for one of those reasons, cost and/or availability.

Otherwise, I'll stick to my CRSWs, B & Ms, Catie's, Mitchell's, TOBS, Tabacs, Prorasos, and all those great soaps others here have lauded that I still have yet to try.

0 426
 10-11-2018, 09:15 PM
  • AK47
User Info
(10-11-2018, 06:35 PM)Niemander Wrote: I tried it years (er... decades, & definitely pre-Internet) ago in a naive attempt to try wet shaving before I knew anything about wet shaving.  I bought a coffee mug, a cheap straight razor, a cheaper brush, and a puck of Williams.  Its failure wasn't so much the soap as my ignorance and inexperience.

That said, I think Williams (and Bigelow, the rebranded Proraso from Bath & Body Works) are about the only soaps one can purchase these days without using the Internet.

It's cheap, it's readily available, and it [arguably] works so.... in a pinch, I'd use it.   But when so many vastly superior soaps / creams / croaps exist out there, the only reason I would use Williams would be for one of those reasons, cost and/or availability.

Otherwise, I'll stick to my CRSWs, B & Ms, Catie's, Mitchell's, TOBS, Tabacs, Prorasos, and all those great soaps others here have lauded that I still have yet to try.
How's Mitchells, tabac and proraso?

I've never tried any of these.

Blush

0 11
 10-11-2018, 09:58 PM
User Info

Personally, I'm a fan.
Absolutely brilliant. This response devoid of emotion is a prophetic summary all that will be typed in the pages upon pages below with a lot of loaded emotions.

Personally I am a fan, I have a master's in lathering it to give me a creamy slick lather like no other soap. It' smells like Citronella initially and then it's just another soapy scent. A marvey rubber shave mug , a good broken in boar brush and a good cheap razor like a fatip or a baili will give a life time of great shaves without breaking the bank.

Unless, like me - who got an email in 2015 from a combe customer rep Tamara; that Williams was going to be discontinued ; panicked and promptly stocked up a 100 or so pucks !

To all who are initiated in to the "brotherhood of Williams latherers" - life has taught them valuable lesson or two about Surender , patience, perseverance, hope and faith in the big W ..

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

1 56