10-13-2018, 04:32 AM
User Info
It's Saturday morning, and I'm just about to enjoy my relaxed, super-enjoyable Saturday morning shave. Hot towels and all. And some Miles Davis.

I just loaded up my Asylum RX with a new blade, have filled the scuttle with hot water, and selected my 2 soaps—Castle Forbes Cedar and Sandalwood & La Savonniere du Moulin Donkey Milk. (I always super-lather)

But, I just got thinking—I haven't bought myself a treat for a long time. Maybe it's time for another razor. I like SEs a whole lot, so that's what I'm considering. Do you think I should get a Blackbird Sabre (not sure if a level 1 or 2) or a Rocnel SE-G?

If I go ahead, I'm leaning a wee bit toward the Blackbird, but am not sure.

Thoughts?

1 503
 10-13-2018, 05:11 AM
User Info
(10-13-2018, 04:32 AM)David Wrote: It's Saturday morning, and I'm just about to enjoy my relaxed, super-enjoyable Saturday morning shave.  Hot towels and all.  And some Miles Davis.

I just loaded up my Asylum RX with a new blade, have filled the scuttle with hot water, and selected my 2 soaps—Castle Forbes Cedar and Sandalwood & La Savonniere du Moulin Donkey Milk. (I always super-lather)

But, I just got thinking—I haven't bought myself a treat for a long time.  Maybe it's time for another razor.  I like SEs a whole lot, so that's what I'm considering.  Do you think I should get a Blackbird Sabre (not sure if a level 1 or 2) or a Rocnel SE-G?

Thoughts?

Honestly I don't think either razor will give you as good a shave as the RX but you may consider waiting on the new Vector from Blackland as it looks very interesting with it's small head design.  Or really take a trip out of your SE comfort zone and try a razor that is in the same efficiency league as the RX like a Charcoal Goods Level 3 OC , Wolfman .94 DC or find a Ikon Tech or 2011 R41. Yes all hard to get/find but all worth the wait in my humble opinion. Love the RX btw!

0 236
 10-13-2018, 05:28 AM
User Info
(10-13-2018, 04:32 AM)David Wrote: It's Saturday morning, and I'm just about to enjoy my relaxed, super-enjoyable Saturday morning shave. Hot towels and all. And some Miles Davis.

But, I just got thinking—I haven't bought myself a treat for a long time. Maybe it's time for another razor. I like SEs a whole lot, so that's what I'm considering. Do you think I should get a Blackbird Sabre (not sure if a level 1 or 2) or a Rocnel SE-G?

Thoughts?
ATT SE1 / SE2 ?

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

1 57
 10-13-2018, 07:41 AM
User Info
I find that AC blades are sharper and smoother than GEM blades.  That's just my experience.

53 8,151
 10-13-2018, 01:33 PM
User Info
Paradigm SE should be out this week

14 278
 10-13-2018, 02:37 PM
User Info
(10-13-2018, 05:11 AM)Wanderer66 Wrote:
(10-13-2018, 04:32 AM)David Wrote: It's Saturday morning, and I'm just about to enjoy my relaxed, super-enjoyable Saturday morning shave.  Hot towels and all.  And some Miles Davis.

But, I just got thinking—I haven't bought myself a treat for a long time.  Maybe it's time for another razor.  I like SEs a whole lot, so that's what I'm considering.  Do you think I should get a Blackbird Sabre (not sure if a level 1 or 2) or a Rocnel SE-G?

Thoughts?

Honestly I don't think either razor will give you as good a shave as the RX but you may consider waiting on the new Vector from Blackland as it looks very interesting with it's small head design.  Or really take a trip out of your SE comfort zone and try a razor that is in the same efficiency league as the RX like a Charcoal Goods Level 3 OC , Wolfman .94 DC or find a Ikon Tech or 2011 R41. Yes all hard to get/find but all worth the wait in my humble opinion. Love the RX btw!

Sounds like I need to pause on this.  Much to think about...and await.

1 503
 10-13-2018, 02:38 PM
User Info
(10-13-2018, 01:33 PM)Shavemd Wrote: Paradigm SE should be out this week

Looks very interesting.  Any idea how much it will cost?

1 503
 10-13-2018, 03:13 PM
User Info
(10-13-2018, 05:28 AM)luv2shave Wrote:

Thoughts?
ATT SE1 / SE2 ?

Just read a whole lot of reviews on both.  Hmmmmm.   Hmmm.

1 503
 10-13-2018, 03:22 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(10-13-2018, 02:38 PM)David Wrote:
(10-13-2018, 01:33 PM)Shavemd Wrote: Paradigm SE should be out this week

Looks very interesting.  Any idea how much it will cost?

$395.00 -it will be titanium and has a very interesting blade locking mechanism. It is very efficient yet feels mild.

48 19,859
 10-13-2018, 07:06 PM
User Info
(10-13-2018, 07:41 AM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: I find that AC blades are sharper and smoother than GEM blades.  That's just my experience.
My experience too.

1 57
 10-14-2018, 05:49 AM
User Info
(10-13-2018, 07:06 PM)luv2shave Wrote:
(10-13-2018, 07:41 AM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: I find that AC blades are sharper and smoother than GEM blades.  That's just my experience.
My experience too.  

What's the difference?  Are they made of different types of metal?  Or, is it a coating?  Thicker or thinner?

1 503
 10-14-2018, 06:05 AM
User Info
(10-14-2018, 05:49 AM)David Wrote:
(10-13-2018, 07:06 PM)luv2shave Wrote:
My experience too.  

What's the difference?  Are they made of different types of metal?  Or, is it a coating?  Thicker or thinner?
I think it's because the AC blades are made for shaving only and that too by feather. Most gem blades are made for scrapping paint and the ptfe coated seem to be mostly for lab use for slicing specimens. I doubt these modern gems are made with shaving in mind.

But definately one plus of both these blades - they are thick and extremely rigid due to their thickness and this makes for a great shave.

I am sure many folks here would have more perspectives.

1 57
 10-14-2018, 07:35 AM
User Info
IMO GEM blades err on the scraping side, AC blades on the slicing side. Both are very dependent on the razor, but the GEM style even more so. 
Also, AC blades are made for cutting hair Smile

9 1,446
 10-15-2018, 02:55 AM
User Info
The ATT S1 and the Sabre L2 are my go-to razors.  I have put away all of my double edge safety razors.  I am convinced that the more rigid single-edge blades give a better shave.  To give you an idea of my personal preferences and impressions, I find the S1 to be about as aggressive as I like for routine use.  I tried the Asylum and it was just too demanding for me.  By that I mean that my technique is just a little too sloppy for a razor as aggressive as the Asylum.  I just don't want to work that hard.

I find the first shave with a GEM blade to be a little rough but then remarkably smooth.  In my opinion the Sable L2 is a remarkably smooth and efficient shave from shave 2 to 6 with a GEM blade.  After that the blade losses its edge.  The AC blades are sharper than the GEM blades but smoother is a tough one.  I say that because it is hard for me to separate the blade from the razor itself.  A GEM blade in an L2 is very smooth to me.  The very same GEM blade in an MMOC is NEVER as smooth.  If I were to say that an AC blade is not as smooth as the GEM, is that the blade or the fact that I find the S1 to be a more aggressive razor than the L2?

In any case, I really like both the GEM and AC blades, and I find both to be a huge step up from pretty much every double edge blade.

6 95
 10-15-2018, 03:56 AM
  • Nero
  • No Waxation Without Representation
  • Lanolin-Free or Die
User Info
I COMPLETELY DISAGREE that AC blades are smoother than GEM blades... and it's not even close.

82 3,436
 10-15-2018, 05:38 AM
  • SCOV
  • Minnesota
User Info
Miles Davis music would sound better with a new razor.

An Occam's V2 is my only SE razor - I may not be the best reference.  However, I do have the Paradigm Titanium 2 and really like all aspect of the razor.  If funds allow, the Paradigm SE might be a good option and limited availability period is soon - fun to order "round about midnight."

No comments on "bye bye blackbird" - actually sound like really good razors.

9 674
 10-15-2018, 08:34 AM
User Info
(10-15-2018, 02:55 AM)rodmonster Wrote: The ATT S1 and the Sabre L2 are my go-to razors.  I have put away all of my double edge safety razors.  I am convinced that the more rigid single-edge blades give a better shave.  To give you an idea of my personal preferences and impressions, I find the S1 to be about as aggressive as I like for routine use.  I tried the Asylum and it was just too demanding for me.  By that I mean that my technique is just a little too sloppy for a razor as aggressive as the Asylum.  I just don't want to work that hard.

I find the first shave with a GEM blade to be a little rough but then remarkably smooth.  In my opinion the Sable L2 is a remarkably smooth and efficient shave from shave 2 to 6 with a GEM blade.  After that the blade losses its edge.  The AC blades are sharper than the GEM blades but smoother is a tough one.  I say that because it is hard for me to separate the blade from the razor itself.  A GEM blade in an L2 is very smooth to me.  The very same GEM blade in an MMOC is NEVER as smooth.  If I were to say that an AC blade is not as smooth as the GEM, is that the blade or the fact that I find the S1 to be a more aggressive razor than the L2?

In any case, I really like both the GEM and AC blades, and I find both to be a huge step up from pretty much every double edge blade.

What you shared is very similar to my own experience. Only thing is that rather than the ATT S1, the ATT SE1 and the Sabre L2 are my go-to razors. I've had some of the best shaves of my life with them.

85 391
 10-15-2018, 02:51 PM
User Info
(10-15-2018, 05:38 AM)SCOV Wrote: Miles Davis music would sound better with a new razor.

I like the way you think.  Your logic is perfect, like mine.

1 503
 10-15-2018, 02:59 PM
  • ischiapp
  • Ischia, Naples, Italy
User Info
If you ask yourself, actual answer is always NO.
You should not.

When It's yes, You just know it.
Biggrin Biggrin Biggrin

0 1,442
 10-15-2018, 08:41 PM
User Info
I find the GEM SS PTFE and AC Schick Proline to be equal as far as efficiency and smoothness. They are both my favorites. "All" of the other AC blade don't measure up.

0 91