03-14-2012, 11:03 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
As you already know I LOVE SHAVESTICKS and today I just decided to mill my Kent/Mitchell Wool Fat and put it into an empty (clean) deodorant stick container.This operation is really easy to do:

1.Cut the soap in pieces(medium size works better)

[Image: shavestick1.jpg]

2.Put them into a mincemeat maker machine.Any other machine could work too as a cheese slicer or a grater.

3.Make the machine to work! The soap now is just mince,easy to pack into any container(not necessarily and stick container,but could put it on any bowl)

[Image: shavestick2.jpg]

4.Wet the soap a LITTLE BIT while is on the dish.That would help to soft and compact the soap even better.

[Image: shavestick3.jpg]

5.Put it into the container.Make sure that you compact it well but not too much,to avoid ruining the stick container.

[Image: shavestick4.jpg]

6.This is how it should look like after all the job.Now its time to use it and enjoy it.

[Image: shavestick5.jpg]

And this is how you make a shavestick from any triple milled or regular soap (not melt and pour).

Sorry about the "cheesy' pics : I was visiting my grandpas at the time I made this shavestick/pics.

86 7,123
 03-14-2012, 11:23 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Well, now I have to go to the store and buy a deodorant stick which I do not use and order a puck of MWF. My poor wife will think I've lost my mind. Smile

173 23,492
 03-14-2012, 12:14 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
Great post Teiste!

45 16,289
 03-14-2012, 01:35 PM
User Info
The philosopher says "timing is everything." He must have been a DE shaver.

Yesterday I grated a stick of Palmolive (which I happen to love, plus it's cheap!) because I am going on a trip and did not want to contend with the tubeless configuration of the present stick. I grated because it is tallow based, and packed into an empty stick tube from a prior purchase. The process worked reasonably well, but I did not know to wet the soap just a little before packing into the tube. I now can see it would probably have been better that way.

Thanks for this post, Tieste. If I had been a little more patient - - - -

15 316
 03-14-2012, 01:47 PM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
It looks a little grainy. Have you used it, yet? Does it crumble at all?

10 1,858
 03-14-2012, 02:14 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(03-14-2012, 01:47 PM)Songwind Wrote: It looks a little grainy. Have you used it, yet? Does it crumble at all?

I used it back in 2009 with no problems at all.It lasted me quiet a while and I lost it (I do lost a lot of things Facepalm) on one of my travels.It was great,but I have the Wilkinson ones,which already are shavesticks and provides me the same skin care than MWF.

86 7,123
 03-14-2012, 05:55 PM
User Info
Thanks Teiste,

I hadn't thought of the food processor, but had in mind simple hand grater.

I also hadn't thought of the Wilkinson shave sticks. It seems that you like them in terms of skin care, do they compare favorably in other ways to Mitchell's Wool Fat? For me I enjoy the fine lubricating lather, the lightly scented, soapy smell and the moisturizing qualities of Mitchell's

Perhaps the Wilkinson's stick is the way to go?

3 452
 03-14-2012, 07:58 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(03-14-2012, 05:55 PM)redrako Wrote: Thanks Teiste,

I hadn't thought of the food processor, but had in mind simple hand grater.

I also hadn't thought of the Wilkinson shave sticks. It seems that you like them in terms of skin care, do they compare favorably in other ways to Mitchell's Wool Fat? For me I enjoy the fine lubricating lather, the lightly scented, soapy smell and the moisturizing qualities of Mitchell's

Perhaps the Wilkinson's stick is the way to go?

The Wilkinson shave stick is a great performer and its skin care properties are really high,almost like the Mitchells Wool Fat one.

86 7,123
 03-14-2012, 11:59 PM
User Info
(03-14-2012, 07:58 PM)Teiste Wrote: The Wilkinson shave stick is a great performer and its skin care properties are really high,almost like the Mitchells Wool Fat one.

Couldn't agree more! Smile

2 5,527
 03-15-2012, 06:00 AM
User Info
Great information Teiste , muchas gracias my friend.

3 369
 03-15-2012, 10:30 AM
User Info
(03-14-2012, 07:58 PM)Teiste Wrote: The Wilkinson shave stick is a great performer and its skin care properties are really high,almost like the Mitchells Wool Fat one.

(03-14-2012, 11:59 PM)oversaturn Wrote: Couldn't agree more! Smile

Well, I guess I just have to go with the Wilkie stick. I'll have to save my science experiment for another time.

Thanks Guys,

3 452
 04-18-2012, 07:38 PM
  • pooking
  • Wishful thinker.
  • Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn
User Info
(03-14-2012, 11:03 AM)Teiste Wrote: As you already know I LOVE SHAVESTICKS

Good advice, I will try to do it. Thanks.

7 147
 04-19-2012, 07:31 AM
User Info
Here's a site I came across from another forum where you can buy brand new twist up tubes in different shapes. They seem cheap but the shipping might be killer.

http://www.elementsbathandbody.com/Twist...c-132.html

0 120
 04-19-2012, 07:51 AM
User Info
(03-14-2012, 01:35 PM)slackskin Wrote: The philosopher says "timing is everything." He must have been a DE shaver.

Yesterday I grated a stick of Palmolive (which I happen to love, plus it's cheap!) because I am going on a trip and did not want to contend with the tubeless configuration of the present stick. I grated because it is tallow based, and packed into an empty stick tube from a prior purchase. The process worked reasonably well, but I did not know to wet the soap just a little before packing into the tube. I now can see it would probably have been better that way.

Why grate the soap?. With woolfat I just rub the puck on my face and then rinse it and put it back in the plastic ziploc container. When I use Palmolive I rub it on my face and then it gets rinsed and put back in a plastic prescription pill bottle with a lid. Both storage options work great for travel.

Clayton

6 617
 04-19-2012, 09:33 AM
User Info
(04-19-2012, 07:51 AM)chevyguy Wrote:
(03-14-2012, 01:35 PM)slackskin Wrote: The philosopher says "timing is everything." He must have been a DE shaver.

Why grate the soap?. With woolfat I just rub the puck on my face and then rinse it and put it back in the plastic ziploc container. When I use Palmolive I rub it on my face and then it gets rinsed and put back in a plastic prescription pill bottle with a lid. Both storage options work great for travel.

Clayton

I agree. I rub all my hard soaps on my face like a stick and it works great.

9 1,199
 04-19-2012, 11:17 AM
User Info
Nice tutorial!!

1 223
 04-19-2012, 06:21 PM
User Info
(03-14-2012, 11:23 AM)Johnny Wrote: Well, now I have to go to the store and buy a deodorant stick which I do not use and order a puck of MWF. My poor wife will think I've lost my mind. Smile

Tell her she needs more comedy in her day and you are just providing the supply! Biggrin

1 2,827
 11-19-2012, 05:33 PM
  • MikekiM
  • Long Island, NY
User Info
Nice tutorial..

I have decanted MWF, Speick, Arco, Trumpers and AoS into twist up deodorant containers. In the case of the AoA and MWF, I still have the puck as well, just makes for a slightly different experience when using them in stick form and they seem to travel easier.

I also like to run the container under very warm water after it has been packed...this further softens the soap and makes it easier to compact and shape it. Sometimes the containers gets distorted with all the packing.

33 914
 11-19-2012, 08:24 PM
User Info
The first thing I thought of when I saw the pictures was that he was whipping up some Holiday dessert.

0 282
 11-19-2012, 08:36 PM
User Info
The second thing I noticed was how gnarly the top of T's food processor is. Looks like some piece of meat got stuck on top. Tongue

9 2,988