09-10-2012, 11:27 AM
User Info
Obviously it's just my own opinion, and others disagree, but I think too much is made of brushes being lather hogs. What's the big deal? Are you complaining that you have to use too much of your precious lather? Or that it's too hard to rinse the lather out after you're done shaving? I just don't see why a minor inconvenience is such a big deal....

184 12,003
 09-10-2012, 11:35 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Well,its not a minor inconvenience for me , John: a brush is designed to exfoliate the skin and lift up the beard (stubble), create lather and apply it on the face (or any other part...).If doesn't fulfill the third part properply,since all the lather is gone (lather hog),its quiet annoying,to be honest.So no,I dont see it as a "minor inconvenience" when I have brushes which cost less than others and fulfill that duty much better.Regarding the use of soap and cream,yes,you are right : I dont want to be buried with my soaps and creams,either to be the richest on the cemetery,so I use quiet a bit but today,with the Simpson Chubby 1 super badger, wasn't even enough for the 3rd pass.

86 7,123
 09-10-2012, 11:37 AM
User Info
Yes, minor inconvenience. I still think it's much ado about nothing, just something else to complain about.

184 12,003
 09-10-2012, 11:42 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(09-10-2012, 11:37 AM)churchilllafemme Wrote: Yes, minor inconvenience. I still think it's much ado about nothing, just something else to complain about.

Well, that's your opinion,John.Mine is totally different.S
Some badger brushes hold the best lather inside,so you have to squeeze it out.I don't mind that,since the lather is still there and haven't disappear (like I suffered this morning...), but I do prefer a brush with could released the lather,as they suppose to do.

86 7,123
 09-10-2012, 12:28 PM
User Info
I'm with you John. Doesn't make much sense to me. And it's always used as a complaint/problem. But then why'd you buy the super dense brush? is always my question.

Now, not holding enough lather is a different problem. I've had enough examples of that to really annoy me.

That said, I also agree with Teiste. A brush can be too dense with too short a loft. Even if you really load up the brush, sometimes the brush eats up all the lather and you have to reload because all the lather you loaded went down the bristles. And since the top is only so large, it can only hold so much proto lather.

9 2,988
 09-10-2012, 12:39 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I have never had this experience so I guess I really don't know what the problem is. All of my brushes both boar and badger hold enough lather for three passes if needed. I usually just do two.

173 23,546
 09-10-2012, 12:58 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(09-10-2012, 12:28 PM)asharperrazor Wrote: I'm with you John. Doesn't make much sense to me. And it's always used as a complaint/problem. But then why'd you buy the super dense brush? is always my question.

Now, not holding enough lather is a different problem. I've had enough examples of that to really annoy me.

That said, I also agree with Teiste. A brush can be too dense with too short a loft. Even if you really load up the brush, sometimes the brush eats up all the lather and you have to reload because all the lather you loaded went down the bristles. And since the top is only so large, it can only hold so much proto lather.

That's the thing,that not all super dense are lather hogs.Your Stubby,for example, aren't lather hogs.The Simpson Chubby 1 super badger (your brush,btw) is.

However, I'm not the kind of guy who enjoys ultra dense hair shaving brushes,to be honest.

86 7,123
 09-10-2012, 01:12 PM
  • VTMAX
  • Banned
  • Woodstock, Vermont
User Info
John, I'm all in. BTW, you finally got rain today in your fair city. Good on you almost breaking the record! More the better. Love to squeeze out that lather for the third pass. Nothing beats it. Let's enjoy it especially those who love variety. We all have enough great product....use it up!

42 1,041
 09-10-2012, 03:00 PM
User Info
I guess that every time I think that I'm concerned about a "lather hog," I look at the stacks of soap bowls, cream bowls, tubes of cream and refill pucks that are available to me, shrug, and re-load. I'll be fine for quite a while.

97 615
 09-10-2012, 03:09 PM
User Info
(09-10-2012, 12:58 PM)Teiste Wrote: However, I'm not the kind of guy who enjoys ultra dense hair shaving brushes,to be honest.

Teiste, that is my sentiment as well: I don't like the feel of too much density on my face.

I think John makes a good point; much like we make a big deal out of how many passes of lather we can get out of the brush. What's the worst that could happen? We need to re-load a bit?

I suppose we all have different preferences and likes and dislikes. In this Golden Age of Wetshaving, there are just so many excellent choices that we can afford to be picky about very small things...and still have numerous options from which to pick!

To each his own.

47 1,270
 09-10-2012, 03:11 PM
User Info
I just turned down a brush I had reserved & waiting for me - a limited edition M&F Stubby Medium Finest Rooney hair 28 mm knot, because I simply thinks it blooms wayyy too much and on top of that might be a lather hog.

This is why I avoid Chubby in 3-band Super and Best hair, but enjoy their 2-band sisters - to me, and I may be totally wrong here, the 2-band editions of the Chubby 2 does not hog the lather as much a the 3-Band does for some odd reason Lightbulb

But I just got a little parcel from Gil Brandão today - 2 Brut Brazil, Veleiro, Top Secret, 2 La Toja, Lavanda Old, Lavanda new and then got this yesterday from my GF - all 5 new Musgo Real shavign creams (have 2 tubes of the MR Classic already).......and already own 58 shaving creams, so I do need to use more product before it all will expire and turn bad on me anyway Biggrin

22 5,062
 09-10-2012, 03:22 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
But use more product is not always the answer to a lather hog brush,gentlemen.

English triple milled shaving soaps are made to enjoy mounts of lather,if you truly load the brush.This is the case of the D.R. Harris soaps.Well,today with the SImpson Chubby 1 super badger , I basically loaded it for over a minute (literally) and almost no lather at the 3rd pass!So not always "use more product" avoids that "issue" or "minor issue" if you facelather.

Bowl lathering is another story and I found that brushes are less prone to be "lather hogs" by using them with a scuttle.

86 7,123
 09-10-2012, 03:40 PM
User Info
T,
Maybe your statement should be that you don't like overly packed brushes.

Since you really like the Rooney 2/1, which is a pretty densely packed brush. And to be quite honest, I don't think there's any brush out there more densely packed than it other than the Chubby line.

The Chubbies are by far the most densely packed brushes I have ever seen. I would be interested in seeing any other brushes any of you gents wish to put up to contest it.

As for the Chubby in 2 band. The 2 band hair is thicker, so by definition, less strands of hair will be used in the making of that brush. AFAIK makers determine the quantity of hair by weight.

9 2,988
 09-10-2012, 03:43 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(09-10-2012, 03:40 PM)asharperrazor Wrote: T,
Maybe your statement should be that you don't like overly packed brushes.

Since you really like the Rooney 2/1, which is a pretty densely packed brush. And to be quite honest, I don't think there's any brush out there more densely packed than it other than the Chubby line.

The Chubbies are by far the most densely packed brushes I have ever seen. I would be interested in seeing any other brushes any of you gents wish to put up to contest it.

As for the Chubby in 2 band. The 2 band hair is thicker, so by definition, less strands of hair will be used in the making of that brush. AFAIK makers determine the quantity of hair by weight.

No my friend,maybe I dont go crazy about them,but its about being lather hogs or not.
Your Stubbies are very densely packed and I havent suffered that from them.The Shavemac D01 ,a little bit and never with my Vie Long badgers.

But,as I said,I do bother about it,others not at all.

86 7,123
 09-10-2012, 04:09 PM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
Lather hogging brushes never really bothered me that much, but then again I've only used 1 brush that was a hog and it was a Simpson Classic 1 and all it took was a gentle squeeze towards the base of the knot and out it came.

31 1,510
 09-10-2012, 06:59 PM
User Info
Could just be the design of the Chubby. The base of the knot is sunk so low into the handle that a lot of soap surely sinks down maybe 20mm into the handle.

9 2,988
 09-10-2012, 07:46 PM
User Info
I'm not convinced that true lather hogs exist. By this I mean brushes that make really good lather, but then somehow hold on to it. I think it's more just a brush that doesn't make good lather even if it uses a lot of product. Invariable these are dense brushes with big knots and short lofts. I steer clear of brushes like this, so admittedly, I don't have a ton of experience with them. I believe that a brush needs to be flexible (with a decent sized loft) and have good flow through in order to make good lather.

30 275
 09-11-2012, 03:31 PM
User Info
(09-10-2012, 06:59 PM)asharperrazor Wrote: Could just be the design of the Chubby. The base of the knot is sunk so low into the handle that a lot of soap surely sinks down maybe 20mm into the handle.

That is an interesting insight. I've never pulled out a Chubby knot to find that out, but it would explain why the brush eats product, but only gives it up when prodded.

97 615
 09-11-2012, 03:36 PM
User Info
(09-11-2012, 03:31 PM)mcgils Wrote:
(09-10-2012, 06:59 PM)asharperrazor Wrote: Could just be the design of the Chubby. The base of the knot is sunk so low into the handle that a lot of soap surely sinks down maybe 20mm into the handle.

That is an interesting insight. I've never pulled out a Chubby knot to find that out, but it would explain why the brush eats product, but only gives it up when prodded.

You don't have to take it apart to figure it out!

Just push the hair towards the center and you can see that the opening at the top is 23mm. A caliper can confirm this.

Then, if you want to know how deep it goes, you can use a needle to prod downward to find the top of the glue bump. It's there, just very deep.

9 2,988
 09-11-2012, 03:45 PM
  • oscar11
  • North Dakota
User Info
Do any fan shaped lather hogs come to your guys mind?...

12 743