09-10-2012, 02:23 PM
User Info
Gentleman, do you use both an aftershave and cologne. All of my aftershaves are alcohol based so I feel that the scent doesn't linger and use cologne also. Except for Alt Innsbruck. I would takea shower in that if I could.Biggrin So my question is do you use both or just let your aftershave be your scent?

0 156
 09-10-2012, 04:22 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
I usually let a strong scented aftershave splash stand on its own, even if the scent doesn't linger as long as a cologne or eau de toilette.

2 11,211
 09-10-2012, 07:09 PM
User Info
i use neither as i find my soap scent last quite some time.

75 20,883
 09-10-2012, 10:50 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
After shave only for me followed with an unscented balm. Except when using Alt Innsbruck, then I use their after shave emulsion.

173 23,553
 09-13-2012, 07:33 PM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
Both. Every time. How else am I to justify both ADs? Wink

35 2,703
 09-15-2012, 02:16 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
I have a large cologne collection that has gone mostly unused since getting into wet shaving. I just prefer the scents of my aftershaves.

45 3,955
 09-15-2012, 05:21 PM
  • VT_Hokie
  • 2-Band Bandito
  • Charleston, SC
User Info
If I have some that match, than yes to both.

Usually not a cologne guy, so just a scented splash though.

13 599
 09-25-2012, 03:13 PM
User Info
If I leave the door I often use both.
If I stay at home is sometimes use both.
If I use both I makes sure the AS is fleeting (like Proraso)or wait a few hours before applying edc/edt.
Whether a scent is fleeting or not as little to do with alcohol.
But with the concentration and quality of the ingredient.

0 50
 10-14-2012, 12:15 AM
User Info
I always use an alcohol based aftershave usually followed by a very discrete application of cologne.

Regards,
Squire

0 500
 10-14-2012, 03:02 AM
User Info
I've found that my AS splashes such as Old Spice, Brut and various Pinaud flavors far stronger and longer lasting than any of my EDT's or colognes. I very seldom use my EDT's any more.

0 372
 10-16-2012, 11:31 AM
User Info
I only use aftershave. If someone gets extremely close I want them to smell it, but the scent is personal and nothing I want to announce my arrival a room away.

It's a conditioned response... I want my lady to snuggle in to get Eau de Brian, not get that scent from 10' away.

32 6,311
 10-16-2012, 12:00 PM
User Info
Eau de Brian, I like that, catchy.

0 500
 10-16-2012, 01:25 PM
User Info
Depends.

I have some products that are related ( soap/cream + AS/ASB + cologne ). Canoe is an example, as I have a Canoe scented soap ( Prarie Creations ), that I can follow up with Canoe AS, followed by a light application of Canoe EdT. In the 'Canoe-like' family I have Brut AS and Clubman AS, so I can followup the Canoe soap with either of those as well, and still use the Canoe EdT. I even have a Brut ASB I can install in that equation. If you can't tell, my wife likes Canoe on me LOL.

I have Masters Lilac Vegetol AS that I like. I often pair it with a Lilac shave soap, and sometimes I don't wear an EdT with that as I like to have the faint scent of lilacs follow me around for part of the day. I keep a small vial of that Lilac Vegetol in my desk if I want to freshen the scent later in the day at work. I've never run into many EdT's I've felt pair well with that, though I will sometimes in cooler weather give my self a very faint spritz of Gray Flannel EdT.

I sometimes follow up Old Spice AS with Paul Sebastian PS EdT. If you check Basenotes many people mention the PS is a more refined version of OS. I try to keep the PS application light though. These are good with a variety of OS scented shave soaps or creams.

If I have a very nice cologne I want to enjoy I often only use witch hazel as an AS. I don't have tons of nice colognes, but if I am wearing Bleinheim , for example, I don't want to muddy the waters so to speak. I also have a few unscented ASBs that I will use if need be.

I guess I vary from day to day, and week to week.

0 252
 10-17-2012, 02:46 PM
User Info
Mostly have matching edts and splashes, and use both. When I don't have a matching splash I often use rose scented witch hazel or lavender water, whichever is closer. With D.R Harris Sandalwood aftershave splash, I use that for both aftershave and edt because of it's strength.

3 543