10-21-2018, 08:32 PM
User Info
I have noticed that my Kent BK2 pure badger is softer than my Frank silvertip. They a both soft on the face, of course, and lather well, but shouldn't a silvertip be noticeably softer? The Frank brush has a much denser knot, and that might be a factor Incidentally, a $15 Omega boar hair does a fine job too.

0 116
 10-21-2018, 08:42 PM
User Info
There is a great deal of variation among different brands of brushes.  I have an Art of Shaving Pure badger brush and thought I was upgrading when I bought an Edwin Jagger Best badger brush.  The AOS Pure is softer than the EJ Best.  I also have two different Silvertip knots that couldn't be more different from one another.  I have a Golden Nib Silvertip and a Envy Shave Luxury Silvertip.  The GN is fairly floppy and quite a bit of more scritch than I was expecting while the Envy is super soft and plush and much more dense giving it tons of backbone.  To me there is no comparison that the Envy is far superior to the GN.  Since there really isn't any kind of structure surrounding the quality of these things other than an honor system, you either know the products you are buying or you are taking your chances.  Just the way it is.

0 96
 10-22-2018, 03:16 PM
User Info
Thanks. Makes sense.

0 116
 10-29-2018, 03:21 PM
User Info
I messed up and ordered a Kent Pure badger instead of the silvertip off Amazon. I was going to return it but it felt and looked soft right out of the box. Decided to use it and it surprised me with how luxurious it is.

0 107