10-23-2018, 01:40 PM
User Info
Any cocktails drinkers in here  Cool

I actually am quite new to cocktails, as I have always preferred my alcoholic drinks neat/straight.

Never been a fan of the overly sweet cocktails, and never really liked the way most cocktails have to be dressed up with lime wedges, cheery, herbs and other stuff, that 99% of all cocktail drinkers have to remove any way in order to be able to drink the cocktail.

If you want a zesty lime/orange/lemon taste, add the juice to the cocktail or run the citrus wedge along the top of the glass.

Skip all the gimmicky idiotic dressing up of the cocktail. This is my honest view on cocktails and the reason why I never really had an interest in cocktails in the past.

With that said, my new found love of gin has made me realize I really enjoy some of the simpler cocktails out there, preferably NOT the sweet tasting cocktails, but the cocktails with a more bitter-sweet or fresh touch.

Currently my favourite cocktails are (and these are my home made cocktails, as I like to to make these according to my own preferences and not the bartenders preferences):

Negroni Claus (2 parts Gin, 2 parts Campari and 1 part sweet vermouth)
Boulevardier Whisky Claus (2 parts whisky, 2 parts Campari and 1 part sweet vermouth)
Tom Collins
Gin & Tonic (2 parts gin and 3 parts tonic)
Gin Martini Claus (i make mine with 60% dry vermouth, 20% gin and 20% tonic)
Whisky Old Fashioned 
Dark Rum Old Fashioned
Dark & Stormy
Aperol Spritz Claus (I don't like the original that much, mine is made with 50% Proseco/Cava/Cremant, 15% Aperol, 15% Campari and 20% Tonic)
Manhatten

If I want a cocktail at a cocktail bar, I'll usually order a Mojito or a Black Russian.

What are you favourite cocktails and do you make them at home or prefer them made at a cocktail bar (or both) ?

25 6,403
 10-23-2018, 01:56 PM
User Info
I am like you in that I prefer tasting my alcohol no matter what it is.  Vodka, Gin, Scotch, Bourbon, Whiskey, Rum.  I always drink things straight, neat, one rock or on the rocks.  My wife is the mixologist on the block.  When we go out for dinner she usually will order one of the restaurant's special drinks and if she likes it, will get the recipe and make them for the girls on the block.  As far as I'm concerned the only cocktail that I will drink is a Vesper Martini.  I prefer mine with with 1 part Ketel One, 3 parts Bombay Sapphire, 1/2 part Lillet and a lemon twist.  I don't drink her drinks because they often involve simple syrup and end up being too sweet for my tastes.

0 96
 10-23-2018, 01:59 PM
User Info
There is only two cocktails that I know how to mix and drink - well, perhaps three.

Black Russian; half and half Kahlua and Vodka over ice (sweet, mind you).
Fjellbekk (mountain stream): Even parts Vodka and Norwegian Akevitt over ice, a dash of lime, and Sprite to taste.
Depth Charge: One half liter of beer. One shot of akevitt. Lower glass of akevitt into the beer glass... and drink. To quote the guy who taught me that one: "so trinken die deutsche Kriegsmarine und geht unter" (yeah, my German is poor...).

3 5,775
 10-23-2018, 02:29 PM
User Info
For Summer it's Gin and Tonics.  I mix mine equal parts Gin and Tonic over lots of ice. I like to rim the glass with a lemon/lime peel garnish as the oils that come off on the lips do add to the intensity of the cocktail.  Do not make these by the pitcher at parties as they get watery very quickly.

For Fall, Winter, and Spring it is a Manhattan.  Two parts bourbon (no Rye, no Canadian, and definitely no Scotch), one part sweet vermouth, and a dash of bitters.  Quickly shake with ice and strain immediately into a chilled martini glass else the cocktail will get watery.  This is a cocktail where you want three ounces of cool goodness, not 5 ounces of cold meh. Skip the garnish on this one.  For an interesting variation, substitute black walnut bitters for the Angostura bitters typically used.

Always remember ingredients really matter when making cocktails so never use an ingredient (other than bitters) in the mixing that you would not drink straight up.  (If you can drink bitters straight up, good on ya...)

4 10
 10-23-2018, 04:38 PM
  • DannyZ
  • Harker Heights, TX
User Info
I love cocktails.  I was a bartender for 2 years in college and it got me into the cocktail game.  My favorites are:

Whisky Sour (has to be bourbon)
White Russian
Rum Sunset (I prefer it with aged rum)
Mojito
Sangria (not sure if this counts but I drank this by the liter every time I went to Spain)
Aperol Spritz
Bellini

1 86
 10-23-2018, 05:57 PM
  • SCOV
  • Minnesota
User Info
If at typical bar, an Old Fashion with good cocktail bourbon.  
If watching Kentucky Derby, Mint Julep

A few local distilleries close by and truly innovative selection of speciality cocktails.  Those are really good!!

9 689
 10-23-2018, 08:47 PM
User Info
Water, shaken not stirred.  I find brewing and distilling fascinating but don't drink alcohol.

6 340
 10-24-2018, 02:29 AM
User Info
Top two for me are a vodka gimlet, and the famous vodka grasshopper.

I haven’t had either in quite some time...and that’s a real shame!

Vr

Matt

13 537
 10-24-2018, 03:05 AM
User Info
(10-23-2018, 08:47 PM)Lipripper60 Wrote: Water, shaken not stirred.  I find brewing and distilling fascinating but don't drink alcohol.

Signs011

0 800
 10-24-2018, 04:20 AM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
My modified Manhattan

2 parts bourbon or rye (I like Russell's Reserve)
1 part Amaretto di Saranno
Splash of ginger ale
1 Italian Maraschino cherry with juice

Gently mixed over ice

My other cocktail is Laphroig neat.
Once you develop a taste for Laphroig, there is no other option.

174 1,597
 10-24-2018, 09:43 AM
User Info
Rye Manhattan Cocktail.
Only "mixed" drink for me. 

48 4,691
 10-24-2018, 09:45 AM
User Info
(10-24-2018, 04:20 AM)Steelman Wrote: My modified Manhattan

2 parts bourbon or rye (I like Russell's Reserve)
1 part Amaretto di Saranno
Splash of ginger ale
1 Italian Maraschino cherry with juice

Gently mixed over ice

My other cocktail is Laphroig neat.
Once you develop a taste for Laphroig, there is no other option.

Signs011

48 4,691