10-24-2018, 05:27 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
[Image: Sapu6rn.jpg]
The bowl is actually the fish, sliced longitudinally into three layers, with the center layer then wrapped into a circle.
Kaisen Masuyone Izakaya in the Meieki neighborhood, Nakamura-ku, Nagoya;
An owner of the izakaya is an established seafood monger that bids at the auction at Tsuruga Port in Fukui every morning, transportng the fish to Nagoya by noon.
In Google Street View: geocoordinates are 35.1745624,136.8859219, looking westward

1 1,274
 10-24-2018, 05:58 AM
User Info
Awesome! Was it delicious?

Have a great day my friend!

Vr

Matt

13 537
 10-24-2018, 07:39 AM
User Info
Is that Aji Tataki?  My son's favorite.  Our sushi chef would lay the thinly sliced pieces of fish over the back of the body of the fish and the head and tail would be propped up on either end.  Sashimi is the best.

0 94
 10-24-2018, 11:49 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
User Info
(10-24-2018, 07:39 AM)MntnMan62 Wrote: Is that Aji Tataki?  My son's favorite.  Our sushi chef would lay the thinly sliced pieces of fish over the back of the body of the fish and the head and tail would be propped up on either end.  Sashimi is the best.

This year’s harvest of iwashi (sardine) has been very bountiful, and chefs all over Japan are figuring how to use the bounty; we saw it, in various forms, everywhere on the Kii Peninsula last week.  I think that you are referring to sanma, a kind of bonito (katsuo), which is the mid-size in a continuum of size classifications of Scombridae from mackeral to skipjack to bonito to albacore to tuna; tataki, chopped, is a method of preparation. 

Have you ever tried ikezukuri?  

1 1,274
 10-24-2018, 01:24 PM
User Info
(10-24-2018, 11:49 AM)Mel S Meles Wrote:
(10-24-2018, 07:39 AM)MntnMan62 Wrote: Is that Aji Tataki?  My son's favorite.  Our sushi chef would lay the thinly sliced pieces of fish over the back of the body of the fish and the head and tail would be propped up on either end.  Sashimi is the best.

This year’s harvest of iwashi (sardine) has been very bountiful, and chefs all over Japan are figuring how to use the bounty; we saw it, in various forms, everywhere on the Kii Peninsula last week.  I think that you are referring to sanma, a kind of bonito (katsuo), which is the mid-size in a continuum of size classifications of Scombridae from mackeral to skipjack to bonito to albacore to tuna; tataki, chopped, is a method of preparation. 

Have you ever tried ikezukuri?  

I didn't know what the word tataki meant.  Now that I do, that's not how he was preparing it so I guess he was using the wrong word.  The fish was called Aji but he would very thinly slice it, not chop it.  So now I'm going to try and figure out what kind of fish it was.  You may be correct that is was a kind of bonito.  As for ikezukuri, I would have live scallop quite often.  You could still see it moving on the plate.  Absolutely delicious.  At first I thought you were asking about usuzukuri which is just thinly sliced fish.  Our chef would usually use yellow tail.

0 94
 10-24-2018, 02:02 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
User Info
(10-24-2018, 05:58 AM)Ols67 Wrote: Awesome!  Was it delicious?

It was, I suppose, but I must admit that iwashi is not my favorite fishy delicacy.  Except for dry-prepared (grilled over open flame, or planked), I never have cottoned much to cooked fish, so the bare fact that the well-presented “fish bowl” was uncooked was a big point in its favor.  The regional preference in Chubu (Central Japan) has a decided bent toward fried fish, so when I am in Nagoya, I scan the menus carefully.
[Image: e4LLA7b.jpg]
Kaiseki ryori at the ryokan at which we stayed in Shima, Mie-ken.

1 1,274
 10-24-2018, 02:30 PM
User Info
MntnMan, I watch the chefs on Hells Kitchen as they try to satisfy Chef Ramsey with their scallop cooking and I marvel that they cook scallops at all. Maybe they aren't fresh scallops. Yup, scallops don't need cooking at all; or if one must just a quick in the pan and out to flavor with garlic or some such.

32 6,519
 10-24-2018, 03:14 PM
User Info
Mmmmm.  My kids love what they know as sushi but my son just got home from a trip to Nihon and told me "I understand why you eat noodles when we go to sushi".  Thank goodness someone in my clan now knows what sashimi is supposed to be.  Your pictures are making my mouth water.

6 337
 10-24-2018, 04:01 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
User Info
(10-24-2018, 03:14 PM)Lipripper60 Wrote: Mmmmm.  My kids love what they know as sushi but my son just got home from a trip to Nihon and told me "I understand why you eat noodles when we go to sushi".  Thank goodness someone in my clan now knows what sashimi is supposed to be.  Your pictures are making my mouth water.

As part of the same meal in which we were served the whole fish of the preceding image, the ryokan also served us (inter alia) さしみ。

[Image: v8Vs3EA.jpg]

The fish that we ate in the evening almost certainly had been swimming at the time we had wakened up that morning.

MntnMan62, does your son live in Japan?

1 1,274
 10-24-2018, 07:24 PM
User Info
(10-24-2018, 04:01 PM)Mel S Meles Wrote:
(10-24-2018, 03:14 PM)Lipripper60 Wrote: Mmmmm.  My kids love what they know as sushi but my son just got home from a trip to Nihon and told me "I understand why you eat noodles when we go to sushi".  Thank goodness someone in my clan now knows what sashimi is supposed to be.  Your pictures are making my mouth water.

MntnMan62, does your son live in Japan?

No.  We live in the US in good 'ole New Jersey.  When he was born my wife and I had a pretty good sushi habit.  We would bring the little one in his carrying car seat and stick him on the end of the table to sleep while we did our thing.  Then as he got older he would sit at the sushi bar with us.  He would get California rolls, anything cooked.  No raw fish.  Then when he was about 5 started hounding us to taste ours.  So I'd give him a little nibble here and there.  Pretty soon he was ordering his own dishes and it was usually sashimi.  I prefer sashimi myself.  I don't need the carbs in the rice and like to taste my fish.  His portion of the bill always ended up being the largest.  And I was ok with that because it's good for you and he loves it.  Now he's 15 and will eat anything, pretty much.  He scoffed down the cornish game hens I made the other night.  And tonight we went out to dinner for our Anniversary.  He had seared duck breast over kimchi.  He's a real foodie.

0 94
 10-25-2018, 05:26 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
My wife and I, along with two of our grandchildren, can devour a sushi or sashimi dinner in no time flat. My preference is sashimi with a good serving of uni. Fortunately we have an excellent Japanese restaurant in the town we live in.

9 1,036
 10-27-2018, 12:31 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
User Info
(10-24-2018, 02:30 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: MntnMan, I watch the chefs on Hells Kitchen as they try to satisfy Chef Ramsey with their scallop cooking and I marvel that they cook scallops at all. Maybe they aren't fresh scallops. Yup, scallops don't need cooking at all; or if one must just a quick in the pan and out to flavor with garlic or some such.

[Image: YzxIk5Z.jpg]
Did someone say fresh scallops?

1 1,274
 11-12-2018, 01:53 PM
User Info
(10-24-2018, 05:27 AM)Mel S Meles Wrote:
[Image: Sapu6rn.jpg]
The bowl is actually the fish, sliced longitudinally into three layers, with the center layer then wrapped into a circle.
Kaisen Masuyone Izakaya in the Meieki neighborhood, Nakamura-ku, Nagoya;
An owner of the izakaya is an established seafood monger that bids at the auction at Tsuruga Port in Fukui every morning, transportng the fish to Nagoya by noon.
In Google Street View:  geocoordinates are 35.1745624,136.8859219, looking westward
Very nice sashimi

0 4