10-24-2018, 02:47 PM
  • Puma
  • Central Jersey
User Info
I won this sweet Shavemac in a raffle. Do ebonite handles require any special care?

[Image: NZPy8Yw.jpg][Image: JTT34Ep.jpg]

4 484
 10-24-2018, 03:47 PM
User Info
Yes, two tips:

1) Ebonite doesn't like scalding hot water.

2) Ebonite will oxidize over time and UV exposure accelerates that process causing some color change.

I don't expose Ebonite to scalding hot water or any harsh chemicals. 

I store mind in a dark place.

We started turning Ebonite in August or September of 2014. I have several brushes made with handles from back then. They still look great.

We did experiment with some, e.g., letting handles stand in windows exposed to direct sunlight over several months. There was some change in surface appearance. It was fairly easy to polish out.

3 1,223
 10-24-2018, 04:05 PM
  • pbrmhl
  • Seattle
User Info
(10-24-2018, 03:47 PM)Paladin Shaving Wrote: Yes, two tips:

2) Ebonite will oxidize over time and UV exposure accelerates that process causing some color change.

We started turning Ebonite in August or September of 2014. I have several brushes made with handles from back then. They still look great.

We did experiment with some, e.g., letting handles stand in windows exposed to direct sunlight over several months. There was some change in surface appearance. It was fairly easy to polish out.

What do you use to polish?

10 560
 10-24-2018, 04:19 PM
User Info
That's a beautiful handle. Enjoy!

9 1,454
 10-24-2018, 04:33 PM
User Info
(10-24-2018, 04:05 PM)pbrmhl Wrote:
(10-24-2018, 03:47 PM)Paladin Shaving Wrote: Yes, two tips:

We use yellow compound (non-abrasive) on 6" cotton wheels (with Baldor polishers). I haven't spent any appreciable time maintaining Ebonite-handled brushes I've used for over four years. But that's because I store them in a dark closet.

3 1,223
 10-24-2018, 05:42 PM
User Info
(10-24-2018, 04:33 PM)Paladin Shaving Wrote:
(10-24-2018, 04:05 PM)pbrmhl Wrote:

We use yellow compound (non-abrasive) on 6" cotton wheels (with Baldor polishers). I haven't spent any appreciable time maintaining Ebonite-handled brushes I've used for over four years. But that's because I store them in a dark closet.

I use Obsidian Oil on my pipe stems: https://www.amazon.com/Obsidian-Oil-for-...B06Y5YBDQ3.  You might give it a shot.  A little goes a very long way.  

It works well between smokes and greatly increases the time between polishing the stems.  I have been hoping to try it out on an ebonite brush of my own, and continue to hold out hope that I can acquire one some day.  

Note for Ken: I am willing and prepared to conduct product trials on your behalf right now, and would be more than happy to do so.  Wink

33 261
 10-24-2018, 05:54 PM
User Info
(10-24-2018, 05:42 PM)Streambrewer Wrote:
(10-24-2018, 04:33 PM)Paladin Shaving Wrote:
(10-24-2018, 04:05 PM)pbrmhl Wrote: What do you use to polish?

I use Obsidian Oil on my pipe stems: https://www.amazon.com/Obsidian-Oil-for-...B06Y5YBDQ3.  You might give it a shot.  A little goes a very long way.  

It works well between smokes and greatly increases the time between polishing the stems.  I have been hoping to try it out on an ebonite brush of my own, and continue to hold out hope that I can acquire one some day.  

Note for Ken: I am willing and prepared to conduct product trials on your behalf right now, and would be more than happy to do so.  Wink

We need to get together, Matt. It would be a very, very good time for you to pay us a visit.

3 1,223
 10-24-2018, 06:16 PM
  • SCOV
  • Minnesota
User Info
(10-24-2018, 02:47 PM)Puma Wrote: I won this sweet Shavemac in a raffle. Do ebonite handles require any special care?

[Image: NZPy8Yw.jpg]

Send me the brush - happy to document and test for the best procedures for proper care.

9 689
 10-25-2018, 05:53 AM
  • Garb
  • Oregon
User Info
Great advice on ebonite care. I might try similar on Bakelite?

0 316
 10-25-2018, 07:11 AM
  • Puma
  • Central Jersey
User Info

Thanks, Ken. I love your brushes. I could sit and stare at my Harlequin PK all day.

4 484
 10-25-2018, 07:12 AM
  • Puma
  • Central Jersey
User Info
Thanks for all of the replies.

4 484
 10-25-2018, 07:26 AM
User Info
(10-25-2018, 05:53 AM)Garb Wrote: Great advice on ebonite care. I might try similar on Bakelite?

I don't know about Bakelite. Its chemistry is very different than Ebonite's.

3 1,223
 10-25-2018, 07:44 AM
  • Garb
  • Oregon
User Info
Just a thought. Thanks for the tip.

0 316
 10-26-2018, 06:12 AM
  • BSWoodturning
  • Co-Owner, Brad Sears ShaveWorks
  • Maryland Eastern Shore
User Info

+1  Although we've only been testing and turning Ebonite since the Spring, everything we've found aligns with Ken's conclusions/suggestions.  I might add that we typically bake our handles at 170-175 deg. F to cure the imprinting ink and have seen without serious impact to our Ebonite handles.  (We use state of the art pad printing technology v. laser engraving.)  What we do see is occasional unevenness on some of the bases and a slight dulling at the bottom of fine grooves--all of which easily buff-out.  This sometimes happens with resin handles; so....  Nevertheless, I would avoid immersion in scalding water and be careful with alcohol-based aftershaves, EDT's, etc. as they will eventually dull the finish.  Accidents happen; so if the finish does dull over time, I would think a mild automotive polish would restore things with minimal effort..  

I also keep my brushes (Ebonite and others) in a dark, well-ventilated closet largely because our bathroom doesn't have a lot of excess space. 

All that said:  I have a 20+ year old Ebonite Mont Blanc fountain pen that, except for a few minor scratches, still looks like new.  (If my research is correct, Mont Blanc's been using ebonite/hard rubber since ~1906; so I imagine they know what they're doing.)  Anyway, this pen's received no special care; so--bottom line--I wouldn't worry too much about your new brush.  Just take good care of it, as you would with any high-end badger and enjoy!

4 781
 10-26-2018, 02:55 PM
  • Puma
  • Central Jersey
User Info
(10-26-2018, 06:12 AM)BSWoodturning Wrote:

+1  Although we've only been testing and turning Ebonite since the Spring, everything we've found aligns with Ken's conclusions/suggestions.  I might add that we typically bake our handles at 170-175 deg. F to cure the imprinting ink and have seen without serious impact to our Ebonite handles.  (We use state of the art pad printing technology v. laser engraving.)  What we do see is occasional unevenness on some of the bases and a slight dulling at the bottom of fine grooves--all of which easily buff-out.  This sometimes happens with resin handles; so....  Nevertheless, I would avoid immersion in scalding water and be careful with alcohol-based aftershaves, EDT's, etc. as they will eventually dull the finish.  Accidents happen; so if the finish does dull over time, I would think a mild automotive polish would restore things with minimal effort..  

I also keep my brushes (Ebonite and others) in a dark, well-ventilated closet largely because our bathroom doesn't have a lot of excess space. 

All that said:  I have a 20+ year old Ebonite Mont Blanc fountain pen that, except for a few minor scratches, still looks like new.  (If my research is correct, Mont Blanc's been using ebonite/hard rubber since ~1906; so I imagine they know what they're doing.)  Anyway, this pen's received no special care; so--bottom line--I wouldn't worry too much about your new brush.  Just take good care of it, as you would with any high-end badger and enjoy!

Thanks Brad. I was wondering about using automotive products. I've used them on resin handles before. I use a polymer polish/protectant on my bike, but I have some normal wax too.

4 484
 10-27-2018, 12:14 PM
User Info
(10-26-2018, 02:55 PM)Puma Wrote: I was wondering about using automotive products. I've used them on resin handles before. I use a polymer polish/protectant on my bike, but I have some normal wax too.

Resin really doesn't compare closely to Ebonite. The main constituents of Ebonite are rubber and sulfur (along with pigments). Rubber is a natural, organic polymer. Resins typically used to make shaving brush handles are synthetic polymers. Ebonite is somewhat porous. Much more so than acrylic or polyester resins.

I've asked the manufacturer about using sealant (which sometime covers the ends of long pieces we get) and was told it might spoil the aesthetic and tactile characteristics of Ebonite.

That said, we've used carnauba wax, but it works best when applied on a wheel, and, again, heat needs to be carefully controlled when working with Ebonite.

3 1,223
 10-28-2018, 03:43 AM
  • Puma
  • Central Jersey
User Info
(10-27-2018, 12:14 PM)Paladin Shaving Wrote:
(10-26-2018, 02:55 PM)Puma Wrote: I was wondering about using automotive products. I've used them on resin handles before. I use a polymer polish/protectant on my bike, but I have some normal wax too.

Resin really doesn't compare closely to Ebonite. The main constituents of Ebonite are rubber and sulfur (along with pigments). Rubber is a natural, organic polymer. Resins typically used to make shaving brush handles are synthetic polymers. Ebonite is somewhat porous. Much more so than acrylic or polyester resins.  

I've asked the manufacturer about using sealant (which sometime covers the ends of long pieces we get) and was told it might spoil the aesthetic and tactile characteristics of Ebonite.

That said, we've used carnauba wax, but it works best when applied on a wheel, and, again, heat needs to be carefully controlled when working with Ebonite.
Thanks again Ken. That's what I figured.

4 484
 10-28-2018, 04:42 AM
User Info
(10-28-2018, 03:43 AM)Puma Wrote:
(10-27-2018, 12:14 PM)Paladin Shaving Wrote:

Thanks again Brad. That's what I figured.

I'm Ken.  Wink

3 1,223
 10-28-2018, 11:16 AM
  • BSWoodturning
  • Co-Owner, Brad Sears ShaveWorks
  • Maryland Eastern Shore
User Info
(10-28-2018, 04:42 AM)Paladin Shaving Wrote:
(10-28-2018, 03:43 AM)Puma Wrote:
(10-27-2018, 12:14 PM)Paladin Shaving Wrote: Resin really doesn't compare closely to Ebonite. The main constituents of Ebonite are rubber and sulfur (along with pigments). Rubber is a natural, organic polymer. Resins typically used to make shaving brush handles are synthetic polymers. Ebonite is somewhat porous. Much more so than acrylic or polyester resins.  

Thanks again Brad. That's what I figured.

I'm Ken.  Wink

I'm Brad.  (Ken's better looking!  Biggrin )

4 781
 10-29-2018, 09:20 AM
  • Puma
  • Central Jersey
User Info
I'm Ken.  Wink

I'm Brad.  (Ken's better looking!  Biggrin )

Sorry about that guys. I've fixed it where I could. It's not everyday that I have two legends advising me. Thanks again to you both.

4 484