10-25-2018, 10:18 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
When you think of shoplifting, you assume that it is being done at a brick and mortar store with the customer stuffing items into an overcoat or down his pants. However, those of us involved in e-commerce know better. There is just as much theft, if not more, from an e-commerce store. You would be amazed. 

Theft, or at least theft attempts, have risen dramatically in the past few years. Part of this can be attributed to the credit card companies in the form of charge-backs. While Paypal will investigate a claim and will weigh evidence on both sides, the credit card companies will not. All a customer has to do is claim the product did not match the description and they will win the charge-back whether or not this is a load of crap. I once had a customer buy two bottles of Boellis Panama cologne, use them for 5 months and then file a claim with the credit card company claiming that the scent was not as described.

Scam artists are also constantly trying to get store owners to send them something for free. These guises take many forms but they almost always use deception and try to appeal to your good nature. While there are many different forms, an example may help. Last week, we received the following email:

I received your Asylum 89 DE Razor as a retirement gift. When we opened the wooden box we found no razor in it. All I know is this product came from your fine establishment. I’m sure this was simple mistake. I have provided you with my home address. This gift was an anonymous one so I have no order number, all I can give you is my word. I was raised by the good book so my integrity is without question. I had no need for an empty box, hence in the dumpster it went. I’m sure you have this razor laying around without a box in your facility. I respectfully request a shaving soap for the hassle of this mistake. Thank you in advance for your time and attention in this manner.

How can I be sure this is a scam? There are several telltale signs.
  • He claims to not know who sent him the gift. If that is true, how does he know that the gift was an Asylum 89? The Asylum boxes do not indicate what model is inside. 
  • If the invoice indicates that the order was for an Asylum 89, it would also list the recipient and the order number.
  • The Asylum razors are assembled by me, wrapped in their flour cloth towel and placed into the wooden box by me on an order by order basis. These is no way that I would include an empty box. While I certainly screw up from time to time, this is simply a mistake that I would never make. 
But -I played nice and indicated that I had no record of him as a customer or a recipient. Since I had no record of anyone in Illinois (his home address) buying an Asylum 89,  I asked if perhaps he could provide me with a few possibilities of who purchased the razor.  His true colors immediately showed. Raised by the good book? I don’t think so.

His reply was a profanity ridden rant filled with ad hominem attacks, political slurs, uncontrolled anger, and typos. Think that I am exaggerating? Here is his follow-up email (edited to comply with forum rules against profanity)

Wow, like I said stupid it was a gift. Can you not read. Who the hell orders there own retirement gift. The bullshit was sealed , there was no way in hell anyone in our circle took the dam razor. I can tell you are a liberal piece of shit. You have no loyalty to your military. I bet your whore of a grandma spit on returning soldiers in the 60’s. You have a thief in your mist maybe it’s you! So f*** you and your cheap ass razor you f***ing thief. #Trumpzilla 

This sort of incident has been on the rise for the past two years and it has really helped to take the fun out of the industry.

48 19,961
 10-25-2018, 10:24 AM
  • chamm
  • Expert on nothing
  • Central Ohio
User Info
Don't let it get to you. It's kind of a funny story, because the guy was a moron, and he obviously didn't get what he wanted.

Keep doing the right thing and being nice, and your actual followers will know the truth.

22 858
 10-25-2018, 10:36 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(10-25-2018, 10:24 AM)chamm Wrote: Don't let it get to you. It's kind of a funny story, because the guy was a moron, and he obviously didn't get what he wanted.

Keep doing the right thing and being nice, and your actual followers will know the truth.

The really funny/ironic part of the story is the guy said his last name was Grammar.

48 19,961
 10-25-2018, 10:47 AM
User Info
(10-25-2018, 10:18 AM)bullgoose Wrote: Wow, like I said stupid it was a gift. Can you not read. Who the hell orders there own retirement gift. The bullshit was sealed , there was no way in hell anyone in our circle took the dam razor. I can tell you are a liberal piece of shit. You have no loyalty to your military. I bet your whore of a grandma spit on returning soldiers in the 60’s. You have a thief in your mist maybe it’s you! So f*** you and your cheap ass razor you f***ing thief. #Trumpzilla 

This sort of incident has been on the rise for the past two years and it has really helped to take the fun out of the industry.

I'll be honest. For me, lunatic emails like this put the fun into the industry. I don't get them often, but I laugh hysterically when I do. This one is a doozy. Biggrin

0 799
 10-25-2018, 10:53 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(10-25-2018, 10:47 AM)Blackland Razors Wrote:
(10-25-2018, 10:18 AM)bullgoose Wrote: Wow, like I said stupid it was a gift. Can you not read. Who the hell orders there own retirement gift. The bullshit was sealed , there was no way in hell anyone in our circle took the dam razor. I can tell you are a liberal piece of shit. You have no loyalty to your military. I bet your whore of a grandma spit on returning soldiers in the 60’s. You have a thief in your mist maybe it’s you! So f*** you and your cheap ass razor you f***ing thief. #Trumpzilla 

I'll be honest. For me, lunatic emails like this put the fun into the industry. I don't get them often, but I laugh hysterically when I do. This one is a doozy. Biggrin

Biggrin  On one level yes but -it can waste an amazing amount of time since you want to give a benefit of doubt and see if they can provide a sliver of evidence.

48 19,961
 10-25-2018, 11:07 AM
User Info
(10-25-2018, 10:53 AM)bullgoose Wrote:
(10-25-2018, 10:47 AM)Blackland Razors Wrote:

Biggrin  On one level yes but -it can waste an amazing amount of time since you want to give a benefit of doubt and see if they can provide a sliver of evidence.

Completely agree. I think I'd probably print and frame this email, though. It's the best bad email I've ever seen - a true masterpiece.

0 799
 10-25-2018, 11:10 AM
User Info
A psycho, lowlife thief.

Fortunately, you can spot these obvious scams.  I can see the issue of the credit card companies always siding with lying or unreasonable customers being a serious problem.  That's a more subtle scam you really can't protect yourself from.

53 8,218
 10-25-2018, 11:11 AM
User Info
The guy is obviously brilliant if he could pull your political persuasion and feelings towards the military out of that response.  Wonder what he 'retired' from...  Hopefully not his psych meds

85 451
 10-25-2018, 11:12 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
haha...if you like that one, I have another strange incidence that resulted in a dispute. A customer from Australia (who went by the Title of Lord) placed an order and put this in the comment section:

Unable to accept delivery during the day, or collect from the post office during business hours, due to work hours.

Please leave in outside toilet on the closed toilet lid, at the back right corner of the house and completely close the door behind you.

I shipped with these instructions attached and tracking indicated that the package was indeed delivered. He filed a dispute claiming that he never received the package and that it was somehow my fault. 

48 19,961
 10-25-2018, 11:19 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(10-25-2018, 11:11 AM)w_mcnabb Wrote: The guy is obviously brilliant if he could pull your political persuasion and feelings towards the military out of that response.  Wonder what he 'retired' from...  Hopefully not his psych meds

There is a good possibility that may be true.

48 19,961
 10-25-2018, 11:28 AM
User Info
(10-25-2018, 11:12 AM)bullgoose Wrote: haha...if you like that one, I have another strange incidence that resulted in a dispute. A customer from Australia (who went by the Title of Lord) placed an order and put this in the comment section:

Unable to accept delivery during the day, or collect from the post office during business hours, due to work hours.

Please leave in outside toilet on the closed toilet lid, at the back right corner of the house and completely close the door behind you.

I shipped with these instructions attached and tracking indicated that the package was indeed delivered. He filed a dispute claiming that he never received the package and that it was somehow my fault. 

Weird. Obviously not your fault, but I don't have an order comments section for this reason.

0 799
 10-25-2018, 12:09 PM
User Info
Jesus Christ man, that second email is something special, LOL.

3 39
 10-25-2018, 12:30 PM
  • Rob W
  • Central IL, USA
User Info
Phil, He must be from Southern Illinois.

4 635
 10-25-2018, 12:39 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(10-25-2018, 12:30 PM)Rob W Wrote: Phil, He must be from Southern Illinois.

Haha. could be. I have never heard of the town.

I am originally from Northern Illinois myself and have lived in Central Illinois.

48 19,961
 10-25-2018, 01:20 PM
User Info
Wow.  How terrible.  This kind of thing has increased a lot recently.

0 389
 10-25-2018, 01:22 PM
User Info
Wow. I am flabbergasted. Sorry you had to endure that, Phil.

48 4,682
 10-25-2018, 02:19 PM
  • Asafiev
  • Lancaster, PA
User Info
That is a tremendous amount of negativity to endure.  A thief takes a toll on so many levels.  Sorry Phil, you don't need this in your life.

0 297
 10-25-2018, 03:01 PM
User Info
This is a major problem for e-commerce. The other aspect of this is that there are also fees typically associated with chargebacks, so you lose the product and pay a fee. It can take several good orders to make up for a fraudulent one. Keep up the good fight, Phil.

10 340
 10-25-2018, 03:36 PM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
Careful Phil.

You may have a strange package show up at your door ;-)

Seriiously, it only took 50 years to go from the greatest generation to the worst.

Its the reason why I moved from a big city to small town

Its the reason my only social media outllet is TSN. The most gentlemanly place on the web.

As far as politics, there are big losers on both sides. Nobody has the high ground

Love your country and your neighbor

174 1,597
 10-25-2018, 04:19 PM
  • Entasis
  • Atop the Razor's Edge
  • Southern California
User Info
Well, Phil, I guess this means he's off the Christmas card list!!!

13 678