10-26-2018, 02:51 PM
User Info
Restaurants get this all the time.  Person eats a nice meal and says it sucked and won't pay for garbage like that.  What's the restaurant owner to do?

But I'm curious about the charge back scam involving the credit card.  If a person buys an e-commerce item, receives it and says the box was empty, the credit card company will omit the charge from his bill. (In the U.S. card companies are required to protect consumers from unauthorized charges if the consumer notifies the card company within 30 days of the unauthorized purchase).  But does the credit card company charge the vendor for the full cost of that item without investigating?  Doesn't the CC company allow an honest vendor to keep the payment, give the customer his money back, and take the charge itself as a cost of doing business?  How does that work from the vendor's side?  I guess I'm asking whether the "empty box" scam is a scam on the CC company or the vendor.

19 309
 10-26-2018, 03:21 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Phil started this thread to share his frustrated feelings as a vendor who believes a person was trying to take advantage of him.

Recently the conversation has begun to devolve into the political arena which is antithetical to forum rules. While I’m not a member of the moderation team, I urge members to review the rules. http://shavenook.com/misc.php?action=help&hid=8.

Let’s keep it about shaving, please Smile

10 3,155
 10-26-2018, 03:56 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(10-26-2018, 02:51 PM)BrickHud Wrote: Restaurants get this all the time.  Person eats a nice meal and says it sucked and won't pay for garbage like that.  What's the restaurant owner to do?

But I'm curious about the charge back scam involving the credit card.  If a person buys an e-commerce item, receives it and says the box was empty, the credit card company will omit the charge from his bill. (In the U.S. card companies are required to protect consumers from unauthorized charges if the consumer notifies the card company within 30 days of the unauthorized purchase).  But does the credit card company charge the vendor for the full cost of that item without investigating?  Doesn't the CC company allow an honest vendor to keep the payment, give the customer his money back, and take the charge itself as a cost of doing business?  How does that work from the vendor's side?  I guess I'm asking whether the "empty box" scam is a scam on the CC company or the vendor.

Yes, they take the money from the vendor and then tack on an extra charge for the privilege of doing so. Paypal investigates but credit card companies generally do not with American Express being the worst. The empty box scam is a scam on the vendor...the credit card company actually comes out ahead.

48 20,060
 10-26-2018, 07:37 PM
User Info
Vendors can contest chargebacks, but it’s both tedious and difficult to figure out the protocol. It’s easier for larger companies to navigate. The one limiting factor is that credit card companies may deny chargeback requests if it’s a pattern on the customer side.

If someone is using a stolen credit card, then all bets are off. There is likely no history of customer chargebacks, and the vendor suffers. I guess the expectation is that the vendor is supposed to prevent fraud, but that’s not realistic for a small shop in a card-not-present scenario. Fraud can literally put companies out of business.

10 341
 10-26-2018, 11:47 PM
User Info
What are the next course of action for an e-tailer as such? Would simply ignoring the email suffice?

Having met 'customers' with zero sense of shame/ ethics, you have my sympathies.

0 33
 10-27-2018, 04:29 AM
  • BSWoodturning
  • Co-Owner, Brad Sears ShaveWorks
  • Maryland Eastern Shore
User Info
(10-26-2018, 11:47 PM)gmtshave Wrote: What are the next course of action for an e-tailer as such? Would simply ignoring the email suffice?

Having met 'customers' with zero sense of shame/ ethics, you have my sympathies.

Eyup.

4 787
 11-24-2018, 03:34 AM
User Info
Perhaps if customers like these spent as much time trying to find a job rather than spending their time scamming others, they might find themselves a happier bunch.

0 34