Poll: My thoughts on a shaving scuttle...
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
 10-26-2018, 05:42 AM
User Info
For me, early on in my wet-shaving renaissance, I purchased a beautiful Dirty Bird Scuttle. This thing was gorgeous...and big and heavy and cumbersome and in the end, far too much trouble than I was willing to expend for my daily shave. It gathered dust on the shelf, until I sold it. I have since graduated to an Aesop SS bowl and haven't looked back.

48 4,691
 10-26-2018, 06:14 AM
User Info
I bought one of Crown King's Travel Scuttles as I didn't want something that could easily fall on the bathroom floor and break into a million pieces.  I use mine only during cold weather months.  That said, I haven't used it this season yet.  But when the cold weather really sets in I'll put it to good use.

0 95
 10-26-2018, 07:49 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
It's not a big deal to me personally. I've never felt the urge to try a scuttle.

10 3,121
 10-26-2018, 08:04 AM
  • Entasis
  • Atop the Razor's Edge
  • Southern California
User Info
Although Southern California doesn't undergo the cold mornings that most of the US does, there are brisk mornings and a scuttle, along with some extra time, makes for a very satisfying shave. I have a custom scuttle from Paul Buti (Bone Ash Pottery).

13 678
 10-26-2018, 08:14 AM
  • garyg
  • Great Lakes
User Info
I opted for Once in a While since I use mine only seasonally, was reminded by an earlier post that it was time to retrieve mine along with the "winter" aftershaves .. after having several others, I settled on a Bonnyman Moss ..

51 539
 10-26-2018, 08:25 AM
User Info
I use one daily except on unusually hot summer mornings, when I use a bowl instead.  On warm spring or fall mornings I use the scuttle with tepid water.

221 12,899
 10-26-2018, 08:35 AM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
I also limit use only to the winter months. I have tankless hot water in my house and the water never gets very hot. Use of my scuttle gets to be a rather complicated procedure. I have to let the hot water run for about 5 min. to get it hot enough. Then, fill the scuttle twice. Finally, leave it submerged half way in hot water in the sink. Take my shower. Empty the sink and scuttle. Refill the scuttle and sink. Submerge my scuttle half way int the hot water and then work up a lather in the scuttle. I'm retired so no rush with my morning routine.

81 1,164
 10-26-2018, 09:02 AM
User Info
(10-26-2018, 08:35 AM)Barrylu Wrote: I also limit use only to the winter months. I have tankless hot water in my house and the water never gets very hot. Use of my scuttle gets to be a rather complicated procedure. I have to let the hot water run for about 5 min. to get it hot enough. Then, fill the scuttle twice. Finally, leave it submerged half way in hot water in the sink. Take my shower. Empty the sink and scuttle. Refill the scuttle and sink. Submerge my scuttle half way int the hot water and then work up a lather in the scuttle. I'm retired so no rush with my morning routine.
That's "scuttle dedication" Barry.  Biggrin

48 4,691
 10-26-2018, 09:26 AM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
Tried many, the only one I kept is the Yoresh scuttle.

31 1,554
 10-26-2018, 10:40 AM
  • NJDJ
  • New Jersey
User Info
I voted once in a while, however, that's not totally true. I use the Scuttle daily as a bowl. I fill it with warm water occasionally. It is nice to have but it is rather big and heavy. Sometimes I think I should just get an Aesop bowl call it a day.

26 666
 10-26-2018, 11:11 AM
User Info
I voted.  I've never used one.

53 8,229
 10-26-2018, 11:27 AM
User Info
I voted not interested in owning one because I'm back in Texas... If I want hot lather I'll shave on the back porch lol.

Loved it during cold winter mornings in Denver but it threw off my lather consistency.  The heat would break down most of my lathers.  Now I wish I would have tried it with ice water just to see if it worked I could have used cool lather this first summer down here it was brutal

85 451
 10-26-2018, 12:30 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I use my Dirty Bird during the winter months only.  I had this one special made for me two years ago.  Size wise it is between the small and large scuttle and I had it made without a handle.  Last one I had with a handle, I broke it.

Forgive the lousy picture.  Taken with a cheap cellphone camera in very poor lighting.

[Image: RT1OAMf.jpg]

180 25,086
 10-26-2018, 04:07 PM
User Info
(10-26-2018, 10:40 AM)NJDJ Wrote: I voted once in a while, however, that's not totally true. I use the Scuttle daily as a bowl. I fill it with warm water occasionally. It is nice to have but it is rather big and heavy. Sometimes I think I should just get an Aesop bowl call it a day.
You will not be disappointed.

48 4,691
 10-26-2018, 04:08 PM
User Info
(10-26-2018, 12:30 PM)Johnny Wrote: I use my Dirty Bird during the winter months only.  I had this one special made for me two years ago.  Size wise it is between the small and large scuttle and I had it made without a handle.  Last one I had with a handle, I broke it.

Forgive the lousy picture.  Taken with a cheap cellphone camera in very poor lighting.

That's a beautiful piece of pottery Johnny.

48 4,691
 10-26-2018, 04:09 PM
User Info
(10-26-2018, 11:27 AM)w_mcnabb Wrote: I voted not interested in owning one because I'm back in Texas... If I want hot lather I'll shave on the back porch lol.

Loved it during cold winter mornings in Denver but it threw off my lather consistency.  The heat would break down most of my lathers.  Now I wish I would have tried it with ice water just to see if it worked I could have used cool lather this first summer down here it was brutal
I had that issue on occasion as well.

48 4,691
 10-26-2018, 04:22 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(10-26-2018, 04:08 PM)primotenore Wrote:
(10-26-2018, 12:30 PM)Johnny Wrote: I use my Dirty Bird during the winter months only.  I had this one special made for me two years ago.  Size wise it is between the small and large scuttle and I had it made without a handle.  Last one I had with a handle, I broke it.

That's a beautiful piece of pottery Johnny.

Yes, and the dim lighting gives it the look of a painting rather than a photograph. Very arty.

10 3,121
 10-26-2018, 04:43 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
I mostly face lather, but do enjoy using my Dirty Bird XL scuttle once or twice a week when the weather is cold, and the warm lather seems a luxury. However, I also have a Dirty Bird brush scuttle to keep the lather on my brush warm in between passes, which I use daily, except when using the XL scuttle.

38 5,678
 10-26-2018, 09:36 PM
User Info
I like to use my scuttle daily.  It is wide enough to allow me to dry bloom most my soaps.  I fill the chamber with the hottest water my sink will output, then fill the bowl to a level that will allow a tub of soap to be surrounded by the hot water.  I let the soap heat up while I shower.  After doing any pre-shave and experiencing the scent of my heated shave soap, I remove the tub, wipe off wet container then empty out the scuttle bowl and chamber.  I then refill the chamber with a fresh batch of hot water.  I find the heated scuttle outstanding at softening the soap on the brush and building a great lather.  That is my typical daily routine.

[Image: h58pez6.jpg]

I also have the PAA plastic scuttle and find that I like freezing it overnight once in awhile for a great cool summer shave.
Steve

0 997
 10-26-2018, 10:26 PM
User Info
Mine isn’t a traditional scuttle, it’s more of a culinary utensil that I’ve repurposed as a bowl. It’s a stainless bowl that is filled with a gel used to keep items cold for many hours, but it works for heat too. So I would fill it up with hot water, soak my brush in that, then dump the water. It worked for keeping the lather warmer, but it wasted quite a bit of water, plus I started face lathering more (better brushes for that use). I use it every now and again, not too often though. It doesn’t have a handle, it does look really cool though haha [Image: Bon-Chef-9317-Cold-Wave-Triple-Wall-Bowl...xlarge.jpg]

8 434