Poll: My thoughts on a shaving scuttle...
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
 10-27-2018, 03:51 AM
User Info
(10-26-2018, 10:26 PM)vigilantesd Wrote: Mine isn’t a traditional scuttle, it’s more of a culinary utensil that I’ve repurposed as a bowl. It’s a stainless bowl that is filled with a gel used to keep items cold for many hours, but it works for heat too. So I would fill it up with hot water, soak my brush in that, then dump the water. It worked for keeping the lather warmer, but it wasted quite a bit of water, plus I started face lathering more (better brushes for that use). I use it every now and again, not too often though. It doesn’t have a handle, it does look really cool though haha [Image: Bon-Chef-9317-Cold-Wave-Triple-Wall-Bowl...xlarge.jpg]
That is very cool and multi-functional.

48 4,683
 10-27-2018, 08:28 AM
User Info
I remember getting turned on to scuttles after visiting a barber that used heated lather while shaving my neck and side burns. I thought, that is very soothing, why can't I have that when shaving at home? So i spent about a year trying out scuttles and it was a fun obsession for a while. I had a Georgetown G5, an SWK small in black, and a Sara Bonnymann Moss scuttle in slate.  All wonderfully crafted and a pleasure to own. However, i eventually migrated to face lathering and my use of bowls including scuttles were phased out. Additionally, as Scott mentioned, my lather quality noticeably degraded when heat was applied. And I really did not like it when my pricier brushes banged on the sides of the bowls. I always went for wider type bowls to avoid this, but it would still happen. 
I was sad to admit my scuttle days were over, but I did and sold off my G5 and SWK. I decided to keep the Moss for now, just because sometimes it is handy to bowl lather the last few shaves of soap that come in plastic tubs. The soap tends to slide around in those slippery tubs, so it's an excuse to give the Moss some use.

45 1,252
 10-27-2018, 09:34 AM
User Info
I have owned and used many scuttles and sold them except 2 Yoresh custom scuttles.
Suffice to say I haven't used a scuttle I didn't like, I like the Yoresh custom much more.

56 1,297
 10-27-2018, 01:25 PM
  • pbrmhl
  • Seattle
User Info
I've used a Georgetown scuttle every day when at home since the day I bought it several years ago. I've got two more Georgetown scuttles as backup, just in case...

10 559
 10-27-2018, 02:46 PM
User Info
Currently, I don't use one, but it has crossed my mind. Christmas maybe?

0 45
 10-27-2018, 06:50 PM
User Info
I really enjoy this Junichi Tanaka Artisan scuttle. Have been using it for a year or so especially during the colder months. It also looks great in the den. [Image: 0db17b31a7d8fdfd30c229574dc319fe.jpg]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

42 329
 10-28-2018, 03:54 AM
User Info
(10-26-2018, 10:40 AM)NJDJ Wrote: I voted once in a while, however, that's not totally true. I use the Scuttle daily as a bowl. I fill it with warm water occasionally. It is nice to have but it is rather big and heavy. Sometimes I think I should just get an Aesop bowl call it a day.
There's an Aesop SS on the BST right now.

48 4,683
 10-28-2018, 01:01 PM
User Info
Tried 2 scuttles, 2 bowls,1 mug....settled on the Crown King, we are very happy together. Sbathroom_grooming_shaving_100-100

0 799
 10-29-2018, 08:56 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(10-26-2018, 06:14 AM)MntnMan62 Wrote: I didn't want something that could easily fall on the bathroom floor and break into a million pieces.

Thanks a bunch:  you caused me to relive the unspeakable horror of a year and a half ago, when my treasured shaving mug, purchased 52 years ago directly from an artisan at his kiln in Iwamizawa, Hokkaido, became a formermug in a matter of microseconds.

Thanks to the kindness of wreck | fish, we swapped my Aesop "Martian" stainless bowl for his Georgetown G20 straight-up, and I have been enjoying the Georgetown ever since.  

I detest cold lather.

1 1,274
 10-30-2018, 03:11 AM
User Info
My scuttle use is mostly seasonal. Now that cooler weather is back I'll be bringing one out to use. I really do enjoy the warm lather. I've not noticed any ill effects from the heat with lather consistency, but will pay attention to that now. Summer I just use a shave bowl. Never tried the cold water routine. I've just relied on the cooling soaps up to now but may give the cold water a shot next summer.

Dave

1 139
 10-30-2018, 04:03 AM
User Info
(10-29-2018, 08:56 PM)Mel S Meles Wrote:
(10-26-2018, 06:14 AM)MntnMan62 Wrote: I didn't want something that could easily fall on the bathroom floor and break into a million pieces.

Thanks a bunch:  you caused me to relive the unspeakable horror of a year and a half ago, when my treasured shaving mug, purchased 52 years ago directly from an artisan at his kiln in Iwamizawa, Hokkaido, became a formermug in a matter of microseconds.

Thanks to the kindness of wreck | fish, we swapped my Aesop "Martian" stainless bowl for his Georgetown G20 straight-up, and I have been enjoying the Georgetown ever since.  

I detest cold lather.
While my story doesn't in anyway approach yours, for years I simply used a Mühle, black barber's mug to soak and warm my brush and on the rare occasion, make my lather. It was featured in all of my SOTD photos. Dropped it. That's when I bought my Dirty Bird scuttle and, as I have already previously explained, eventually led me to my Aesop. At least I know that won't be breaking anytime soon. Sorry that you lost your mug. I wouldn't mind seeing a picture, if possible. I am sure it was special.

48 4,683
 11-02-2018, 04:46 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(10-30-2018, 04:03 AM)primotenore Wrote: While my story doesn't in anyway approach yours, for years I simply used a Mühle, black barber's mug to soak and warm my brush and on the rare occasion, make my lather. It was featured in all of my SOTD photos. Dropped it. That's when I bought my Dirty Bird scuttle and, as I have already previously explained, eventually led me to my Aesop. At least I know that won't be breaking anytime soon. Sorry that you lost your mug. I wouldn't mind seeing a picture, if possible. I am sure it was special.

[Image: PYuEw5m.jpg]
R.I.P.

1 1,274
 11-02-2018, 05:00 AM
User Info
(11-02-2018, 04:46 AM)Mel S Meles Wrote:
(10-30-2018, 04:03 AM)primotenore Wrote: While my story doesn't in anyway approach yours, for years I simply used a Mühle, black barber's mug to soak and warm my brush and on the rare occasion, make my lather. It was featured in all of my SOTD photos. Dropped it. That's when I bought my Dirty Bird scuttle and, as I have already previously explained, eventually led me to my Aesop. At least I know that won't be breaking anytime soon. Sorry that you lost your mug. I wouldn't mind seeing a picture, if possible. I am sure it was special.

[Image: PYuEw5m.jpg]
R.I.P.
You were correct. It was a beauty. 
[Image: QgxrNjC.png]

48 4,683
 11-02-2018, 05:01 PM
User Info
I have long enjoyed a hot lather at a barbershop.  One of the great simple pleasures of getting a haircut.  Once I discovered that I could replicate that with a scuttle, I checked a few out and settled on a Georgetown G20.  I have used it every day since it arrived save for days away from home.  I think it is dollar for dollar the best single investment of my shaving gear.  Unlike many razors and brushes, it gets used every day.  It allows me to have a luxury shave every day.  100 years ago, I doubt that the richest men in the world had such a luxury.  

I have tried face lathering and simply don't understand how it could compare.  Whatever tactile benefits from face lathering that could be derived, I can still do with my scuttle sitting on the counter.  The brush stays warm much longer.  The scuttle gives me a place to set the brush while shaving.  It takes about 10 seconds to clean.  Frankly, I should buy another one just in case.  And one for travelling just in case.  Great poll, if you are one of those who hasn't tried one you should.

33 261
 11-02-2018, 07:10 PM
User Info
(11-02-2018, 05:01 PM)Streambrewer Wrote: I have long enjoyed a hot lather at a barbershop.  One of the great simple pleasures of getting a haircut.  Once I discovered that I could replicate that with a scuttle, I checked a few out and settled on a Georgetown G20.  I have used it every day since it arrived save for days away from home.  I think it is dollar for dollar the best single investment of my shaving gear.  Unlike many razors and brushes, it gets used every day.  It allows me to have a luxury shave every day.  100 years ago, I doubt that the richest men in the world had such a luxury.  

I have tried face lathering and simply don't understand how it could compare.  Whatever tactile benefits from face lathering that could be derived, I can still do with my scuttle sitting on the counter.  The brush stays warm much longer.  The scuttle gives me a place to set the brush while shaving.  It takes about 10 seconds to clean.  Frankly, I should buy another one just in case.  And one for travelling just in case.  Great poll, if you are one of those who hasn't tried one you should.
Great post Matt. Glad you have found such enjoyment from this aspect of shaving.

48 4,683